Schnittke Is For Lovers

MomsMobley

Count me in as a fan of Schnittke's. His Cello Sonata is fantastic. Natalia Gutman (the dedicatee, I believe) has a fine recording on Classics Live, and I like David Geringas's recording even more. Alban Gerhardt, a cellist I usually like, also has a recording, but I don't find it as exciting as the former two.

Pick up Schnittke's "Chamber Music" on Naxos for $5. Works for solo violin, solo cello, piano quintet, violin/cello duo, and string trio.

My Schnittke Collection:

The Ten Symphonies on BIS

Concerto Grosso No. 1 on BIS

Concerto Grosso No. 2/Viola Concerto on Moscow Studio Archives

Cello Concerto on Naxos

Cello Concerto No. 2 on Sony

String Quartets 1-3 on BIS

Concerto Grosso No. 6/Symphony No. 8 on Chandos

Piano Concertos on Apex

Life With An Idiot opera on Sony

Requiem/Choir Concerto on Swedish Society label

Peer Gynt Ballet on BIS

My Schnittke Collection ...

Which do you listen to the most? BIS discs are not cheap — nice collection!

I don't really listen to certain pieces more than others, because I'm a big fan of his music overall. The Concerto For Piano and Strings is a great piece, and imo the best performance is on the Apex re-issue, which is very cheap. If you want something really wild and fun to listen to, try the 1st symphony, or the Concerto Grosso No. 2. The Sony disc w/ the cello concerto, and In Memoriam is also inexpensive. And the requiem is a must hear, imo. It's a very beautiful piece. If you're into symphonies, the box set is the cheapest way to go.

Next year. The Lawrence Power is playing the Viola Concerto with the BBCSO on January 30th next year. So I got the date, orchestra and conductor wrong. But Jurowksi does conduct Schnittke. He does. I know he does.

In fact I do know he does, as he has a recording of the fourth symphony coming out on Pentatone.

Gents, sorry for the delay, I've been traveling the spaceways... Schnittke covers a lot of territory, some lands more immediately appealing-- or distasteful-- than others.

Here's violin sonata 1 live-- I have Mark Lubotsky & Ralf Gothoni on an Ondine CD--

Here's the Choir Concerto live--

I have the excellent Polyansky cond. on Chandos CD

Orchestra wise, I'd perhaps suggest anything cond. Gennadi Rozdhestvensky or Rostropovich, including the opera "Life With An Idiot."

"Peer Gyny" ballet on BIS is fantastic btw and I'd say, if one gets the taste, all of the BIS series is estimable even now; at the time (mid-90s was when I found) it was intriguing, imposing-- those black + geometric color shapes covers-- revelatory, even at $15-16 a throw.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally ordered Concerto for piano, four hands & Concerto for piano and strings on Apex. Got it in the mail today, and under the cellophane was a sticker that read:

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE
Includes: I Will Possess Your Heart

Ouch.

Also have this one coming in the mail:

Schnittke_sketches_t9215.jpg

The sound samples were too much. Had to have it. When Schnittke is fun, he's really fun.

Thanks too for posting Ballerina On A Boat above. Thoroughly enjoyed.

4 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

Late, do you know Schnittke's soundtracks? I'm still getting handle on myself, and would like to see at least some of the pictures but there's def. some genius here--

Easy with the handle on yourself. (Sorry, kidding.) I don't know his soundtrack work, but am certainly willing to explore it. Thank you, by the way, for sleuthing out and posting such relevant, and interesting, YouTube videos.

Received the Sketches disc today in the mail. (No Death Cab sticker therein. Whew.) Haven't listened to it yet, but am super-excited to go through it with Gogol's Complete Tales, which the Schnittke work is directly based on. Gogol is actually new to me, I freely admit. But, hey, a person's never too old to discover classic literature!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015 at 2:30 PM, Late said:

Easy with the handle on yourself. (Sorry, kidding.) I don't know his soundtrack work, but am certainly willing to explore it. Thank you, by the way, for sleuthing out and posting such relevant, and interesting, YouTube videos.

Received the Sketches disc today in the mail. (No Death Cab sticker therein. Whew.) Haven't listened to it yet, but am super-excited to go through it with Gogol's Complete Tales, which the Schnittke work is directly based on. Gogol is actually new to me, I freely admit. But, hey, a person's never too old to discover classic literature!

listening to sketches for the first time right now. on the tube big fun!