Prestige Mono Hybrid SACD Series

Late

Prestige Mono Hybrid SACD Reissue Series

I have yet to purchase a title from this reissue series. Can anyone here comment on the series or individual titles? How do these sound in mono? I'm particularly interested in John Coltrane With The Red Garland Trio, also known as ​Traneing In, perhaps my favorite 50's Coltrane title. I've only ever heard it in stereo, and there's something wrong with the 20-bit Japanese K2 reissue, e.g. several places of warble/distortion. I parted with the vinyl long ago, but remember the recording as actually sounding pretty decent.

Thanks for your input!

I only have one - Tommy Flanagan's Overseas. It is very well done. Impeccably clear and an amazingly natural piano sound. To be honest, I'm not sure the SACD layer is any improvement (at least on my system) over the CD layer, which is what I usually end up listening to.

However, like erwbol, I have gravitated to the Prestige 7000 SHM series, if only because they are about half the cost. I have not compared any two APO SACD / Prestige SHM releases directly, but I imagine you can't go wrong with either.

I'm more excited about the four Dolphy albums to be released as part of their selection of stereo albums.

Prestige Stereo Hybrid SACD Reissue Series

Good to see all those Dolphy titles receiving such treatment. I'm starting to think it's possible we'll never see (as a U.S. release anyway) the complete Five Spot show in recorded order. Spread out across four compact discs (and vinyl, for that matter), it can fit on two.

I wonder why this series isn't adding bonus tracks. Almost seems counter-intuitive these days.

Thanks for your comments, Erwin and David. I too am probably more interested in the Japanese Prestige 7000 SHM reissues. I hope that particular series continues, or makes an unforeseen jump to Riverside or Milestone.

Have you heard the complete Five Spot recordings on the Complete Prestige Recordings box?

I haven't. I had all the OJCs when the box set came out, and then later "upgraded" (quotes intentional) some of the titles with Japanese VICJ versions. In fact, I'd forgotten that the box set would have the complete show. (D'oh!) I always want to see at least "Status Seeking" as a bonus track on one of these new reissues. Not gonna happen though. Oh well — $ saved.

• 4 months later...

I only have one - Tommy Flanagan's Overseas. It is very well done. Impeccably clear and an amazingly natural piano sound.

I wonder if that is more a reflection of just how well recorded this one was by Metronome? Japanese vinyl of the title also sounds superb.

Edited by sidewinder

I have 9 of the Prestige Mono SACD's.

Tommy Flanagan Trio Overseas

Elmo Hope Sextet - Informal Jazz

Jackie McLean Quintet - Jackie's Pal

Hank Mobley Quintet, Quartet, Swxtet - Mobley's Message

Hank Mobley Quintet - Mobley's Second Message

All Night Long - Donald Byrd, Jerome Richardson, Kenny Burrell, Hank Mobley, Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor

George Wallington Quintet - Jazz For The Carriage Trade

Phil Woods Quartet - Woodlore

Phil Woods / Donald Byrd - The Young Bloods

I am very pleased with the audio quality. In almost every case I replaced very early CD releases.

The clarity and depth of the music seems definitely better than on the early CDs.

• 2 years later...

R-1085374-1372714280-2658.jpeg.jpg

This title sounds amazing from this (mono) series. The sound of Paul Chambers' bass — not always faithfully reproduced — is unusually clear and with depth. Absolutely no ear fatigue.

It's weird — I noticed the piano that's in my home listening space started to "sing" when Red Garland hit certain chords. (Has that ever happened to anyone else?)

On 2015-06-20 at 9:46 AM, sidewinder said:

I wonder if that is more a reflection of just how well recorded this one was by Metronome? Japanese vinyl of the title also sounds superb.

The 'Overseas' album (originally a series of EP:s) was recorded by Metronome sound engineer Gösta Wiholm in the label's studio at Karlavägen in Stockholm. The mixing table and the engraving machines were custom built by Wiholm. Tape recorders were from Ampex and Telefunken and the amps from Quad.

Also the grand piano was custom built by Swedish guitar maker Georg Bolin who also made a handful of pianos, unconventionally designed with guitar-like sound boxes and requiring very frequent tuning.

Famed jazz club the Golden Circle had another Bolin piano that some pianists (allegedly Bengt Hallberg, among others) simply refused to play on. The Golden Circle piano was therefore seldom used and eventually ended up in the next Metronome studio, built in a disused cinema in 1959 (later "Atlantis studio"), and was later used on most Abba recordings.

Here's an article, unfortunately in Swedish, with a few shots from the studio: http://mikrofonen.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Monitor_2012-10_runepersson-2.pdf

Here's a nice article on the second Metronome studio, BTW: https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/studio-file-atlantis-studios-stockholm

Edited by Daniel A

On 06/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, Daniel A said:

The 'Overseas' album (originally a series of EP:s) was recorded by Metronome sound engineer Gösta Wiholm in the label's studio at Karlavägen in Stockholm. The mixing table and the engraving machines were custom built by Wiholm. Tape recorders were from Ampex and Telefunken and the amps from Quad.

Also the grand piano was custom built by Swedish guitar maker Georg Bolin who also made a handful of pianos, unconventionally designed with guitar-like sound boxes and requiring very frequent tuning.

Famed jazz club the Golden Circle had another Bolin piano that some pianists (allegedly Bengt Hallberg, among others) simply refused to play on. The Golden Circle piano was therefore seldom used and eventually ended up in the next Metronome studio, built in a disused cinema in 1959 (later "Atlantis studio"), and was later used on most Abba recordings.

Here's an article, unfortunately in Swedish, with a few shots from the studio: http://mikrofonen.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Monitor_2012-10_runepersson-2.pdf

Here's a nice article on the second Metronome studio, BTW: https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/studio-file-atlantis-studios-stockholm

Fascinating ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

The Jimmy Forrest is the one of his Prestige albums missing in my collection - I'm tempted.

Listen to the whole album here! The first track alone is ample proof of why Oliver Nelson dug his playing. :tup

And don't forget to use the code 15PERCENT for the discount!