Star Trek TV Show

JSngry

On 1/31/2015 at 9:49 PM, jazzbo said:

I've watched a few episodes with the new effects but I too prefer the original version when I watch on Blu-ray.

As a kid I loved watching reruns of the original series in the 1970s (broadcast in late afternoon after school for awhile, at one point shown late in the evening right after the local newscast--the news anchors and weatherman always "beamed out," dissolving into the start of the episode)--saw only a few of the animated Saturday-morning shows but enjoyed those as well.  I remember the first movie feeling like somewhat of a letdown, and then Wrath Of Khan seeming like a worthy comeback.  I got the complete original series on Blu-Ray for my birthday several weeks ago; in fact, I made the transition to Blu-Ray in large part because of my desire to watch TOS with the original special effects, and am very grateful that the Blu-Ray set gives you that option.  I know great effort was taken to try to make the new effects seamless, but boy, are they ever incongruous, IMO... every time I see those shots, I'm yanked out of my episode-watching reverie.  Anyway, I'm about half a dozen episodes into Season 1, and getting a great deal of pleasure out of the revisitation so far.  And to think this series was airing from the autumn of 1966 into early 1969!  Wow.  

I'm sure many of you have seen this famous SNL sketch with William Shatner, but if you haven't:  :g

https://dai.ly/xmagzq

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anybody who’s interested in the history and production of the original series, I highly recommend this book:

51ZpdNka43L._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

... I’ve only read about a third of it so far, but it’s revelatory. I have Cushman’s book about season 2 as well but haven’t cracked it yet—and I’ll definitely be buying his season 3 volume at some point. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up where I left off with Season 1 last night (Blu-Ray set, choosing the "original effects" option, hooray), and watched "The Corbomite Maneuver" plus both parts of "The Menagerie," which cleverly works the show's rejected pilot into a new story. Also picked up Cushman's book about Season 1 again; I can't say enough about its depth of detail and anecdote for anybody who's interested in the actual production of the original series.  It's amazing that they pulled this program off.  I was born right around the time that the series commenced and have found myself wondering if it was a hip stoner show for its time... what *were* the hip stoner TV shows for the late 1960s?  Laugh-In? Smothers Brothers? Others?    

On 1/30/2015 at 5:35 PM, JSngry said:

Dude, I have so many holes in my "cultural experiences" it's not funny. Never seen Gone With The Wind either, other than in passing. And that's just a start. Not necessarily proud or ashamed of it, just have gone where I've gone when I felt the want/need to go there.

Same here.  I've read only several of Shakespeare's plays, for starters.  And the world's filling up all the time with more cultural product.  That's another bonus about this board--it serves as a sort of curatorial service if one so desires, given that the folks who post here tend to be a pretty savvy bunch, and not just in matters of jazz music.  

On 1/30/2015 at 10:27 AM, Mark Stryker said:

Know more about this topic than I care to admit and, thankfully, am too busy to reveal all.

How have we not talked about this yet?!?  We need to get together and watch a couple of our favorite episodes.  

31 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I was born right around the time that the series commenced and have found myself wondering if it was a hip stoner show for its time... what *were* the hip stoner TV shows for the late 1960s?  Laugh-In? Smothers Brothers? Others?    

70s reruns brings Stoner TV. 60s stoners weren't really TV types, at least not that I've seen real evidence of. Us 70s stoners, otoh, realized what a great too for brain rot it was, and embraced it fully!

Also, The Prisoner & Green Acres were prime fare. At least in my world.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

70s reruns brings Stoner TV. 60s stoners weren't really TV types, at least not that I've seen real evidence of. Us 70s stoners, otoh, realized what a great too for brain rot it was, and embraced it fully!

Also, The Prisoner & Green Acres were prime fare. At least in my world.

Green Acres indeed! :g

Green Acres had some very surreal moments.

I've been watching Ozzie & Harriet lately, and there are some moments in some of the episodes where the dialogue gets really "outside the lines". The writers credits for those particular episodes invariably contain Jay Sommers' name.

23 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

I liked the way they sometimes played with the opening credits...

"Ain't nobody gonna pay no attention to what's goin' on long as they got them names up there."

Geez, I haven't seen Green Acres in probably 35 years (not since I was a teenager), save for 1-2 episodes with my grandmother maybe, when I was in college (which I couldn't swear to).  I'll have to take a look at this clip later.  Had no idea.

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Picked up where I left off with Season 1 last night (Blu-Ray set, choosing the "original effects" option, hooray), and watched "The Corbomite Maneuver" plus both parts of "The Menagerie," which cleverly works the show's rejected pilot into a new story. Also picked up Cushman's book about Season 1 again; I can't say enough about its depth of detail and anecdote for anybody who's interested in the actual production of the original series.  It's amazing that they pulled this program off.  I was born right around the time that the series commenced and have found myself wondering if it was a hip stoner show for its time... what *were* the hip stoner TV shows for the late 1960s?  Laugh-In? Smothers Brothers? Others?    

My roommates and I watched the series when it was first on.  We were graduate students but not (yet) stoners. We thought it was very philosophical. 

I was a big fan from 1970s reruns and myself in early teens.  Basically, the first two seasons have a reasonable number of worthy shows, and the third season is a waste.  (although Spock's Brain is fun in the "so bad it's good" way.).  I saw Star Trek The Next Generation as it happened.  The first season of that had too many retreads of the original story, and the kid saving the day too often, but starting in the second season it had a good number of good shows. Deep Space Nine is a totally different type of series, once it got going, more about negotiations and diplomacy.  (or at least the episodes I liked).  Haven't seen Voyager or Discovery, and now Picard.

Yes, lots of mini-skirts and women's legs.

Edited by Adam
spelling