Sam Records: Donald Byrd in Paris

spinlps

I've been listening to these for a few weeks and have really been enjoying them.

Packaging and pressing are first rate. Both include a nice photo print as well. I don't have originals to compare these but do think they're a notch above the Polydor reissues my buddy has.

More pics and commentary on my instagram account:

Byrd in Paris: http://instagram.com/p/xqLwHAEiec/

Parisian Thoroughfare: http://instagram.com/p/xqRg9YkiVd/

Anyone else have an experience with other Sam Record releases?

Edit - Added IG pics

.10903670_1606473102905723_759062363_n.jp

10914325_1585451035025096_711551561_n.jp

Edited by spinlps

I have an original (German Brunswick) of "Byrd in Paris" (aka "The New Donald Byrd Quintet") and a later Brunswick facsimile reissue of "Parisian Thoroughfare" (apparently French-pressed, no trace of "Fresh Sound" anywhere) but I also have both "Jazz In Paris" CDs with the same contents (bought before I was able to get the vinyls, and for some reason not yet sold on - this "old school" listener prefers vinyl if he can ;) but - yes, that's only me...). Will have to do some aural comparison again to freshen up my impressions but even the vinyl reissue sounded quite listenable compared ot the CD JiP reissue when last listened to. So I wonder to what extent the SAM reissue could provide an improvement impossible to pass up compared to the JiP CD reissue (assuming you are NOT in it primarily for the vinyl format) .

P.S. First impressions on listening to Parisian Thoroughfare now: On the JiP CD the piano may be a bit more up front and clearer than on the Brunswick facsimile reissue, but not really significantly so IMO. Wonder if the SAM vinyl has the same kind of difference.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I've bought a few of the Sam Records issues, 2 Barney Wilen titles, 2 Chet LPs and one Chet EP ( ex Barclay) . Pressings exemplary. Wilen's "Jazz sur Seine" sounded very much better than the JiP CD. Similarly Bobby Jaspar's LP was much improved cf the JiP. The Chet are recent arrivals so I've not compared to the CDs I have ( of some tracks only). Initial impressions are good but not quite the improvements see on the other sessions. The Byrd sides don't do much for me so I'll be passing.

Edited by Clunky