2015 Grammy nominations announced

GA Russell

Thanks for this. I had a quick shufti at the world music (yukk) nominations and found

813EbKAsDQL._SL1440_.jpg

Toumani & Sidiki Diabate - Toumani & Sidiki - World Circuit

I went straight onto Amazon and bought the download. No time to listen to it tonight, but tomorrow...

Strange, I thought Sidiki (Toumani's father) was dead. Brilliant, classical, kora player, one of the greatest of his generation.

MG

Thanks for this. I had a quick shufti at the world music (yukk) nominations and found

813EbKAsDQL._SL1440_.jpg

I went straight onto Amazon and bought the download. No time to listen to it tonight, but tomorrow...

Strange, I thought Sidiki (Toumani's father) was dead. Brilliant, classical, kora player, one of the greatest of his generation.

MG

That's a very good recording. I don't have the CD with me but I think it's a different Sidiki (brother or cousin of Toumani).

Looks like I'd do well to stay clear of 90-95% of it

That's all?

I'm thinking 98-99% is more in my range.

God, how awful are the Grammy's anymore?

Not much worse than they've EVER been! Remember way back when Jethro Tull was nominated in the "Heavy Metal" category?

Are we talking about all the Grammys or just the jazz Grammys? How can you say you don't want anything to do with Kenny Barron and Bobby Hutcherson and Rufus Reid and Chick Corea (ok, maybe the Scientology thing is a little creepy)? And I know most of the Board thinks Jason Moran's Fats Waller thing is an abomination. But I've certainly seen worse slates...

Not much worse than they've EVER been! Remember way back when Jethro Tull was nominated in the "Heavy Metal" category?

Nominated?!

They fucking WON!!!!

Not that I have an ax to grind with Jethro Tull, but Heavy Fucking Metal?!

Maybe that wasn't a mistake, maybe it was on purpose, as a joke (or not)...just something to consider.

813EbKAsDQL._SL1440_.jpg

MG

That's a very good recording. I don't have the CD with me but I think it's a different Sidiki (brother or cousin of Toumani).

Ah, thanks Ken. Yes, that makes more sense than a posthumous recording :D

Listened to it earlier. It IS a fine album.

MG

3 Cajun groups nominated in this category (Bonsoir Catin, Magnolia Sisters, JoEl Sonnier)

51. BEST REGIONAL ROOTS MUSIC ALBUM

Light The Stars
Bonsoir, Catin
Label: Valcour Records
Hanu 'A'ala
Kamaka Kukona
Label: Hanu Arts & Entertainment
Love's Lies
Magnolia Sisters
Label: Arhoolie Records
The Legacy
Jo-El Sonnier