Most interesting/favorite Miles Davis (1964-68)

Rooster_Ties

Specifically, the question is "Which phase of this bands output most interests you"...  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 5 months later...

I've been making my way through the Miles Davis 1960s Quintet (the Plugged Nickel Quintet) in recent weeks. This is, really, my first time to listen to this material in detail. I always stop with Miles after enjoying the 1950s Prestige and Columbia material. To my surprise, the Miles 1960s music has been a very enjoyable, creative, mystical, and rewarding adventure.

I've listened to the Plugged Nickel Highlights (only because I've not yet purchased the full box), E.S.P., Miles Smiles, and Sorcerer. I've read reviews that Miles Smiles was 'the strong' release but I've enjoyed E.S.P more. I was surprised to read, in this thread, per the poll results, that E.S.P. is holding it's own. It seems like I've read reviews saying that E.S.P.is good but has no direction and doesn't show-off this group as well as it could. I've not yet ventured into Nefertiti, Filles, and the subsquent releases. Although, I have listened, several times, to In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

A couple of posts in this thread mention the titles in order of Sorcerer, Nefertiti and Water Babies. From what I understand, however, the next release after Nefertiti, back in the day, was Miles In the Sky.

What is the recommended order to listen to this music the first time through? Should I purchase, listen, and learn via the Water Babies route or the Miles In the Sky route?

Edited by wesbed

I've listened to the Plugged Nickel Highlights (only because I've not yet purchased the full box), E.S.P., Miles Smiles, and Sorcerer. I've read reviews that Miles Smiles was 'the strong' release but I've enjoyed E.S.P more. I was surprised to read, in this thread, per the poll results, that E.S.P. is holding it's own. It seems like I've read reviews saying that E.S.P.is good but has no direction and doesn't show-off this group as well as it could.

A couple of posts in this thread mention the titles in order of Sorcerer, Nefertiti and Water Babies. From what I understand, however, the next release after Nefertiti, back in the day, was Miles In the Sky.

What is the recommended order to listen to this music the first time through? Should I purchase, listen, and learn via the Water Babies route or the Miles In the Sky route?

I like ESP a lot but I think that unlike the later albums, Miles's playing isn't quite as powerful. Miles Smiles is just an unalloyed masterpiece, IMHO.

Water Babies is actually a compilation of two different sessions. The first three tunes feature the quintet with Carter and Hancock, from 1967; the next three tunes, recorded over a year later, feature a sextet with Holland, Hancock and Corea (the latter two on electric pianos). My favorite piece on this is Shorter's "Two Faced".

My rec would be to get Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky and Filles. That should give you some understanding of how Miles's music evolved between June '67 and September '68. Then you can fill out your collection with Water Babies.

Guy

I think if I had to pick one favorite Miles performance/album, period, it would be either the 1967 Paris (No Blues) or Antwerp (His Greatest Concert Ever) concert.  Rooster Ties pretty much summed it up.  I haven't heard other dates from that tour.

They're all pretty remarkable, though I like the live 1969 dates better.

I've always thought of this band in terms of an arc that starts with the May '63 Seven Steps to Heaven sessions (where the Hancock/Carter/Williams rhythm section appears) and ends with the final Lost Quintet dates in '69.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

I was never impressed with Tony Williams' drumming, from a listener's perspective, not a player's perspective. I've always liked Philly Joe, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, or Max Roach much better.

Upon listening to the Miles mid-1960s releases on Columbia... I'm totally impressed with Williams' drumming style. I mean, Williams is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Inside, outside, upside down... a cymbal here, a snare there, add a little of the pedal when needed (I suppose he uses the pedal? Jeez, I'm no drummer). All kinds of sounds flowing from Williams' drums, high frequency, low frequency, fast, slow, just everything imaginable from his drum set.

I can't explain it but Tony Williams has proven himself to me.