Do you tip?

Tipping is a complex matter raising lots of questions; e.g. Where - what's the practice in the country/region you're in? When - you might have tipped in the past, but do people still do it today? In what situation - what categories of worker? Size of tip - does percentage come into it? i thought about this when I saw Eric Alexander deciding what tip to leave in unfamiliar British coinage at a bar in Southport, UK. I'm British and I don't tip bar staff. Is this the norm, fellow Brits?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tip 20% at least, sometimes more. I have friends who work at a bar and who usually give me fat discounts, in which case I figure what I was comped and tip on what the "real total" would be.

I consider this borderline unethical.

Why? You treat your regulars well. Your regulars then stay regular and keep the atmosphere nice.

Also, living in NYC off tips isn't easy, though maybe at upscale restaurants a bit better.

Being of a somewhat younger generation and having been broke with a lot of friends in the service industry or working freelance, I've realized that in lieu of livable wages, those tips matter. Y'all stingy.

well it obviously all depends on the circumstances. If your friends who work at the bar are also the owners of the establishment it's not the same issue as if they just give their friends a generous discount on the cost of the owners. for a generous tip.

As I said having worked in the business myself I have all the sympathy for the workers. On the other hand they are also notorious for cheating,

Wow, I can't understand why you side-stepped that one, uli.

The answer to the question is "because it is stealing from the company".

That's not to say that don't also sympathize, but stealing money in that fashion is outrageously unethical. Not to mention grounds for immediate dismissal.

Tipping is a complex matter raising lots of questions; e.g. Where - what's the practice in the country/region you're in? When - you might have tipped in the past, but do people still do it today? In what situation - what categories of worker? Size of tip - does percentage come into it? i thought about this when I saw Eric Alexander deciding what tip to leave in unfamiliar British coinage at a bar in Southport, UK. I'm British and I don't tip bar staff. Is this the norm, fellow Brits?

I never tip at the bar. Don't see why I should really. More likely to if waited on at a table but still unlikely if drinks only. My barber and restaurant waiting staff and sometimes minicab drivers (but not if they don't know where they're going) are the recipients of my restricted largesse. Usually 10-15%

I tip 20% at least, sometimes more. I have friends who work at a bar and who usually give me fat discounts, in which case I figure what I was comped and tip on what the "real total" would be.

I consider this borderline unethical.

Why? You treat your regulars well. Your regulars then stay regular and keep the atmosphere nice.

Also, living in NYC off tips isn't easy, though maybe at upscale restaurants a bit better.

Being of a somewhat younger generation and having been broke with a lot of friends in the service industry or working freelance, I've realized that in lieu of livable wages, those tips matter. Y'all stingy.

well it obviously all depends on the circumstances. If your friends who work at the bar are also the owners of the establishment it's not the same issue as if they just give their friends a generous discount on the cost of the owners. for a generous tip.

As I said having worked in the business myself I have all the sympathy for the workers. On the other hand they are also notorious for cheating,

Wow, I can't understand why you side-stepped that one, uli.

The answer to the question is "because it is stealing from the company".

That's not to say that don't also sympathize, but stealing money in that fashion is outrageously unethical. Not to mention grounds for immediate dismissal.

You guys seem never to have heard of a free round, on which one always tips.

I was brought up to tip at 10%, which was the norm. Americans were regarded as stupid and lavish tippers perpetually flashing their cash about.

When I visited America for the first time, I booked myself on a domestic coach trip to Maine for a few days. I was the only English person on the trip, the others were all, I'd guess, lower middle class people; an interesting and nice bunch, who all thought I was the STINGIEST guy they'd EVER come across. Well, I guess I was :D

MG

Yeah, you tip on that round as though it weren't free. Also I should have clarified - not "owners" in my friends' case, but managers who call the 'shots' (pun half-intended).

Every city I've lived in I've had a regular spot or two, and that has always resulted in friend discounts. In one case I was actually rung up as "friend" with everything exorbitantly discounted, so the computer actually had that programmed in...

Can I ask what the average price is of a main course (one you consider a good meal) in the US? Going out to dinner has become expensive these last few years.

I tend not to pay more than $15-$18 for my food if I can help it. One thing is I usually cook at home, or eat the cooking of my partner. But not eat my cooked partner.

Can I ask what the average price is of a main course (one you consider a good meal) in the US? Going out to dinner has become expensive these last few years.

I guess the definition of "good" is going to vary wildly from one person to the next, but I'd say $25-$45 usually gets you a pretty damned good entree.

The $15-$18 range Clifford notes above can as well.

Tastes and budget factors in. My wife and I don't eat out often, and have fairly adventurous tastes, so we don't mind spending a little more, if it's highly recommended. But, like Clifford, we usually do all of our own cooking. And with my wife being just shy of a master chef, we tend to be really picky about where we eat out.

I tend not to pay more than $15-$18 for my food if I can help it. One thing is I usually cook at home, or eat the cooking of my partner. But not eat my cooked partner.

That last is especially good to know. :) I cook at home all the time.

$15-$18 that would be hard to find around here at a restaurant. We do have what we call dinnercafé's which can have good food for a reasonable price, but that is usually more than that.

I guess the definition of "good" is going to vary wildly from one person to the next, but I'd say $25-$45 usually gets you a pretty damned good entree.

The $15-$18 range Clifford notes above can as well.

Tastes and budget factors in. My wife and I don't eat out often, and have fairly adventurous tastes, so we don't mind spending a little more, if it's highly recommended. But, like Clifford, we usually do all of our own cooking. And with my wife being just shy of a master chef, we tend to be really picky about where we eat out.

Well, good is subjectiv of course but for me that is to have vegetables to go with the meat I order, (or fish or vega) and not just 3 beans on top. My experience is that the food got more expensive while you'll get less (in quality as well as quantity) on your plate in most restaurants here.

$15-$18 that would be hard to find around here at a restaurant. We do have what we call dinnercafé's which can have good food for a reasonable price, but that is usually more than that.

Depends on whether it is a special occasion meal - I'd say w/ drinks around $100 for two - or a 'night out' sans drinks, in which I would not spend more than $20 on my part of the food portion.

Depends on whether it is a special occasion meal - I'd say w/ drinks around $100 for two - or a 'night out' sans drinks, in which I would not spend more than $20 on my part of the food portion.

Guess you won't be going to a place where our son works. :-)

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Cost of eating out, yes...

Taco Bell has cheap bean burritos, and it's hard to fuck up a bean burrito.

In this part of the world, there's still a few old-school mom and pop "cafe"s, occasionally called "diners" which is not what that term might mean down east or up west...and if you drink water (which I always do, do NOT get me started on the benefits of proper hydration, nor about the horrific lack of it in the general population), you can still eat a good meal (of that variety) for under $10.00.

Also, in my town, the still-increasing Asian (including Indian) population ah led to a significant uptick in the overall quality of the once advisedly-avoidable buffet. Be selective, and you can till get a good plateful or three for around $10. But be very selective.

And this place here, although not a buffet, more a "cafeteria", but jeez, they load you up like it might as well be a buffet, net effect and all, and food is always fresh and good: http://www.fadiscuisine.com/

Get the lamb shanks for $2 extra.. Trust me on this one. And also trust me on this one - that narrator chick is nowhere to be found, ever. So thank you, Fadi's..

Everybody here has their swear-by neighborhood Tex-Mex joint (and mine is the best, ahem/ofcourse/lol), and you can go basic entree for around $8, get "fancy" for under $15. Appetizers...nachos are for suckers, not necessarily so, queso blanco and some fresh flour tortillas.

We got a good fish house here, and you're looking at the 10-15 range on the average.

From there, we don't do "chains" for anything other than Whataburger (and that's strictly for me). Next step up is Fearing's, and there, an appetizer runs 10-25-ih, entree runs between 35-50, and yes, you get both if you know what's good for you and your tastebuds.

Don't eat out as an event more than about 3 times a month, and then, try to stay local, because I like keeping it in the neighborhood if I can keep the foo in me (hahalol). When it comes to LTB, yes, Madame CAN burn, so..the ultimate local, that is. I used to love trying different restaurants, never a foodie, but I liked to play, now I just like a good meal with no drama.