BBC 4 - Love Supreme show

Chuck Nessa

I was at school when ALS came out and have many memories of listening to the lp with school friends and being transfixed.

I enjoyed the programme a lot. Good mixture of history and insight. Worth catching if you can.

Edited by ornette

Enjoyed the show but shame that Courtney P. didn't interview Don Rendell for reminiscences. I've heard that Don had a long chat with Coltrane after that Gaumont Kilburn 1961 gig.

Can't believe that that cinema is now a church ! Used to pass it regularly on the bus up and down the Edgware Road.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

Heard this on the World Service last night. Very enjoyable.

Courtney Pine's anchoring suffered from that BBC thing of getting stars to introduce these programmes - sounded like a read script for a BBC educational programme. Always much better when they have professional commentators.

However the more natural discussion between Nat Birchall, Finn Peters and Jason Yarde in the second half was very good. Got down to trying to explain the music as music rather than waffling about spirituality (though there was a bit of that).

Good programme.