John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman

Soulstation1

I know this goes against the party line. .. but. . . I just have to say it. . . I'm not crazy about this one. I'd be happier if they had just done another "Ballads" instrumental session!

Over the years Johnny Hartman just does less and less for me.

Okay, thanks for letting me vent that one! :huh:

I'm in agreement with Lon on this one. It's hard for me to get into this one due to Hartman's vocals. I just don't dig that vocal style too much, in general, really...

Coltrane plays beautifully, however.

it's funny, my tolerance for jazz vocalsists is just about zero but I really enjoy this album.

that's okay Lon. The Fist will be here shortly... ;)

I like this album a whole lot. There is a lot of crosspollination not only between Hartman and Trane, but certainly also with the other members of the Quartet. The voice of Hartman seems to illicit some thus far unheard greatness from Trane's horn. My personal favourite is Lush Life. The tenor solo is one of the most expressive ones Trane ever played. I doubt whether he would have pulled that off without Hartman setting up the perimeter and throwing up some balls for Trane to catch or let drop.

The "classics" are "Lush Life" & "My One And Only Love", but for me, they're "Dedicated To You" and "You Are Too Beautiful", in that order. But that's strictly personal.

I'll also take a seat on the Chair Of Pomposity and say that people who "don't pay much attention to lyrics" and such like that are probably TOTALLY missing the point of this album.

I'm not a big fan of jazz vocals, so I was planning on being disappointed when I bought this (found it at a good price, so I figured I'd take the plunge). I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. It's great for a quiet evening. The opening track is definitely my favorite.

I've not had this title long & admitedly not played it thosands of times - but i just can't get into it at all.

Fire away ...gulp... :unsure:

But Gary, I thought you had a daily dose of Trane in any way, shape or form!

I absolutely adore 'Lush Life'; this version especially.

Agree about the album length -- but then again maybe that has something to do with it's charm. Short and very sweet.

Another vote for this album's version of "Lush Life" — it's how I learned the lyrics to this song. One to spin with a snifter of cognac, when those (snifter, cognac) are available.

Along the same lines, check out Hartman on Henry Mancini's "Charade" from I Just Dropped By to Say Hello. Another finely rendered and darkly-tinged ballad, with excellent accompaniment by Kenny Burrell.

What a great album! I have played 'Lush Life' to death. Or almost. My favorite track these days is 'My One and Only Love'. Coltrane's introducing the tune is an incredible moment of beauty. The empathy of Hartman with Coltrane and his men is total. 'Nuff said, I'll spin this album once more.