Lizabeth Scott, R.I.P.

Didn't know the name but then saw the face...DEFINITIVELY remember now.

Don't know if this makes sense or not, but some face-types from the past don't seem to have evolved forward as much as others. I look at Ms. Scott in the picture above, and it's like, damn, did just see her in the mall last week?

RIP Emma Matzo. Enjoyed your work, still enjoy your face, forever in peace may it wave.

How come that capsule bio above (no doubt picked up somewhere else) does not mention he name as part of the cast in a film that made her name ring a bell with more than one music (and probably movie) fan of a younger generation?

She starred opposite ELVIS PRESELY in his second movie LOVING YOU in 1957. :D

It may be a coincidence but this was the movie that came to my mind first when I read the title of this thread, and while admittedly I am no movie history fan (was briefly in my youth but that ebbed away early on) her face and those hairs would not have made that much of an impact on me in those 40s "film noir" movies that I may have seen - there was only ONE Veronica Lake - ever ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Post of mine from 2007 about "Desert Fury, a movie I'd give a lot to see again. I ordered a copy once from Amazon, from some dubious third party seller, but DVD that was sent was unplayable:

Another interesting (and I think little known) noir is "Desert Fury," with John Hodiak, Wendell Corey, Lizbeth Scott, and Burt Lancaster -- directed by Lewis Allen, script by Robert Rossen (the likely autuer)? To me, it's the quintessential pre-Hollywood Ten movie because its chief theme, transformed into a gangster setting, is loyalty on the part of actual or would-be intellectuals to the Communist Party no matter what (or rather to some degree because the loyalty the CP required was of the "no matter what" sort). This comes through in one key element of the plot -- the belief (held by some committed CPUSA members) that the ultimate test of virtue was one's "hardness" (not only as in toughness but also as in willingness to do any deed in the name of submission to discipline -- especially if its dictates ran counter to the promptings of one's personal [i.e. bourgeois] conscience, convenience, or morality.) Thus Hodiak's character is a handsome, narcissistic frontman (a star gambler) who shies away from the doing the rough dirty stuff, while Corey, his sidekick who does the rough dirty stuff when that's necessary (actually, as I recall, he deeply enjoys doing it), is at once is in love with Hodiak's character and his "star" aura and is enraged by the gap between what Hodiak's character thinks he himself is too good to do and what Corey's character both has to and, in some sense, chooses to do instead. Corey, playing a deeply twisted man, gives a terrific twisted performance.

BTW, I can't swear that this is true, but a great American writer who shall be nameless (because, again, I can't swear that this story is true, though I trust my source for it) and who was a committed CPUSA member of the type outlined above (that committed CPUSA member part is fact) was among those who decamped to Mexico when things got hot in the immediate post-war Red Scare era was among those who bought into the ultimate test of one's virtue as a committed Party member was one's "hardness" -- this despite (or maybe in some sense because) he was an essentially kind, gentle man. In any case, according to the story I was told, in Mexico his "hardness" was put to the test and on Party orders he engineered the death of a fellow leftist American emigre who was suspected of being a traitor to the cause.

BTW, Rossen, probably best know for writing and directing "The Hustler," was one of the Hollywood Ten.

​P.S. Lewis Allen is not to be confused with "Lewis Allan," the pseudonym of Abe Meeropol, the New York schoolteacher who wrote the lyric to "Strange Fruit" and eventually adopted the sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Meeropol

Just read an obit of Scott. Reportedly, Bogart called her the "most potent" kisser he had met--that's saying something I suppose.

In 1954, Scott sued Confidential magazine for describing her as a member of a Hollywood lesbian set. The trial ended without a decision but is believed to have hurt her career.

BTW, I can't swear that this is true, but a great American writer who shall be nameless (because, again, I can't swear that this story is true, though I trust my source for it) and who was a committed CPUSA member of the type outlined above (that committed CPUSA member part is fact) was among those who decamped to Mexico when things got hot in the immediate post-war Red Scare era was among those who bought into the ultimate test of one's virtue as a committed Party member was one's "hardness" -- this despite (or maybe in some sense because) he was an essentially kind, gentle man. In any case, according to the story I was told, in Mexico his "hardness" was put to the test and on Party orders he engineered the death of a fellow leftist American emigre who was suspected of being a traitor to the cause.

BTW, Rossen, probably best know for writing and directing "The Hustler," was one of the Hollywood Ten.

Dalton Trumbo? (Though he claimed he quit the party pretty early.) Rossen was not one of the Hollywood Ten but he was blacklisted. I always thought he was an excellent writer director. His breakthrough film was "Body and Soul". I can't remember whether they play the song in it.

Dalton Trumbo? (Though he claimed he quit the party pretty early.) Rossen was not one of the Hollywood Ten but he was blacklisted. I always thought he was an excellent writer director. His breakthrough film was "Body and Soul". I can't remember whether they play the song in it.

Sorry -- you're right. Rossen (a CPUSA member from 1937-47) was not one of the Hollywood Ten; rather, he was one of those who named names of former fellow Party members before HUAC.

Rossen also wrote and directed "All the King's Men" and "Lilith" (1964), with Warren Beatty and Jean Seberg, which I remember as being interesting, although it was a commercial failure and his final film. He died two years later at age 57.

No, the "great writer" in my story was not Trumbo, who was in any case not a great writer IMO.

It is okay to quote a few sentences, Duane. As long as you use the quotation marks and say where it comes from. I'd like to know where you got it from and read it again. As for forum rules as mentioned, I think copyright has been violated many times at this board let alone for all the pictures used on several threads without noted where they are from and who the photographer is/was. So that could cause trouble with copyright law.
Knowing you, you only wanted to inform all of us with the sad news.

Edited by page

More about “Desert Fury.” Note the still of bare-chested John Hodiak and Wendell Corey. Both writers certainly get the sexual ambiguity (if that) of their relationship but don't detect the theme I mentioned in my previous post:

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/lewis-allen-desert-fury

http://thegirlwiththewhiteparasol.blogspot.com/2013/05/movie-review-desert-fury.html