RIP Dean Smith UNC basketball coach

Although he was known as the North Carolina coach, he was a Kansas graduate and played for Phog Allen on the 1952 national championship team. He also recommended Roy Williams to KU in 1988.

John Wooden once called him the best teacher of the game.

I grew up in North Carolina, the son of a UNC alum who was a basketball fan and who raised me to be an avid fan as well. I went to UNC (I never applied anywhere else or entertained the notion of attending some other school) and graduated there myself (class of 1980). Dean was something of a god to all of us good Tarheels, though he would have hated to hear such a designation. He was a good and honorable man. Being a Tarheel fan in that era was one of the best experiences of my life.

I grew up in North Carolina, the son of a UNC alum who was a basketball fan and who raised me to be an avid fan as well. I went to UNC (I never applied anywhere else or entertained the notion of attending some other school) and graduated there myself (class of 1980). Dean was something of a god to all of us good Tarheels, though he would have hated to hear such a designation. He was a good and honorable man. Being a Tarheel fan in that era was one of the best experiences of my life.

I lived outside Chapel Hill for grades 5-9 and was also an avid Carolina fan. Wound up moving to Kansas and going to school here, but have always enjoyed the connection between the two programs. In fact my oldest son just graduated from Carolina last spring.

• 1 month later...