• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rabshakeh Sorry, yes the Yamamoto I referenced is Hozan

Ginkai was my first I think, I now have 10+.  I'd recommend these two as the next to try

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-Hozan-Yamamoto-%E7%AB%B9%E3%81%AE%E7%B5%84%E6%9B%B2-The-Suite-For-Shakuhachi/master/545777

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-%E7%84%A1%E9%99%90%E3%81%AE%E8%AD%9C-Eternal-Echoes/master/1030900

You'll recognise some of the other players.  For want of a better term these are on the more Jazz end of his spectrum of recordings, or possibly better described as less traditional. Oh, I don't know really, they're just great music

53 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Rab,

I'm partial to A Path Through Haze, a collaboration with Attila Zoller from 1972:

R-2414444-1369592882-6741.jpeg.jpg

Me too!

Edited by mjazzg

10 hours ago, Late said:

Yoshisaburo "Sabu" Toyozumi's Message To Chicago:

R-3861825-1570896353-6187.jpeg.jpg, b

The tracklist is:

1. Roscoe's Tune
2. Malachi's Tune
3. People In Sorrow

Re-listening now. This album is as good as I initially thought it was. I have to imagine that Roscoe & Co. smiled upon hearing it. Well-recorded (live) and thoughtful.

15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

@Rabshakeh Sorry, yes the Yamamoto I referenced is Hozan

Ginkai was my first I think, I now have 10+.  I'd recommend these two as the next to try

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-Hozan-Yamamoto-%E7%AB%B9%E3%81%AE%E7%B5%84%E6%9B%B2-The-Suite-For-Shakuhachi/master/545777

Is this one how it looks? Full on jazz shakuhachi?

36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this one how it looks? Full on jazz shakuhachi?

Yes, that's about it, shakuhachi all the way. It is an energetic live recording. Great band.

"Full on" might be overstating it a bit it's not Brotzmann-esque :)

this should give you an idea

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, that's about it, shakuhachi all the way. It is an energetic live recording. Great band.

"Full on" might be overstating it a bit it's not Brotzmann-esque :)

this should give you an idea

As long as Yamamoto is better at keeping his top on than Herbie Mann, I am in.

Masahiko Satoh is still going strong. I've seen him several times this year, in a quartet with Kosuke Mine, in a duo with Masuo (who played with Sonny Rollins in the 70s) and playing standards with a bassist. His catalogue is enormous, including collaborations with singers ranging from Helen Merrill to Lauren Newton.

This 3- page section is just from 1969 to 1996.  Discography (mmjp.or.jp)

One more recent platter uses Japanese songs in an accessible way.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:51 PM, Late said:

The bank can always freeze your account if necessary. :D

Another album (non-Aketagawa) on Aketa's Disk is Masayuki Takayanagi's Angry Waves (the actual title is 850113):

R-1027087-1528289342-2551.jpeg.jpg

To me, this is Takayanagi's masterpiece. Granted, I haven't heard everything, but this record is beautiful in the most brooding, dark-energy sort of way. Never has a noise record (and I wouldn't actually identify this as a "noise record") sounded so musical. I'd give it a crown if I were contributing to the Penguin Guide. Certainly not for all listeners, and it can be an exhausting listen, but the depth of focus (at least to me) is amazing.

yeah, I actually have that one on vinyl -- great album indeed.