Head Man

Japanese Jazz

114 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Rab,

I'm partial to A Path Through Haze, a collaboration with Attila Zoller from 1972:

R-2414444-1369592882-6741.jpeg.jpg

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Rabshakeh Sorry, yes the Yamamoto I referenced is Hozan

Ginkai was my first I think, I now have 10+.  I'd recommend these two as the next to try

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-Hozan-Yamamoto-%E7%AB%B9%E3%81%AE%E7%B5%84%E6%9B%B2-The-Suite-For-Shakuhachi/master/545777

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-%E7%84%A1%E9%99%90%E3%81%AE%E8%AD%9C-Eternal-Echoes/master/1030900

You'll recognise some of the other players.  For want of a better term these are on the more Jazz end of his spectrum of recordings, or possibly better described as less traditional. Oh, I don't know really, they're just great music

53 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Rab,

I'm partial to A Path Through Haze, a collaboration with Attila Zoller from 1972:

R-2414444-1369592882-6741.jpeg.jpg

Me too!

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Late said:

But what cocktail do you drink when you watch them? 

I typically enjoy Old Fashioneds with crime/Mafia/Yakuza films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I typically enjoy Old Fashioneds with crime/Mafia/Yakuza films. 

This recipe? (Dig the cheesy trumpet music in the video.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't that Bert Kaempfert?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Late said:

Yoshisaburo "Sabu" Toyozumi's Message To Chicago:

R-3861825-1570896353-6187.jpeg.jpg, b

The tracklist is:

1. Roscoe's Tune
2. Malachi's Tune
3. People In Sorrow

Re-listening now. This album is as good as I initially thought it was. I have to imagine that Roscoe & Co. smiled upon hearing it. Well-recorded (live) and thoughtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. Abe, a little drollerie from Haino - I’m guessing some of you guys know this

 

 

 

Warning: may contain Fushitsusha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Re. Abe, a little drollerie from Haino - I’m guessing some of you guys know this

 

 

Warning: may contain Fushitsusha

Ha! I did not know this at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ha! I did not know this at all. 

It’s extracted from Endless Waltz, the movie about Abe directed by Koji Wakamatsu. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

@Rabshakeh Sorry, yes the Yamamoto I referenced is Hozan

Ginkai was my first I think, I now have 10+.  I'd recommend these two as the next to try

https://www.discogs.com/%E5%B1%B1%E6%9C%AC%E9%82%A6%E5%B1%B1-Hozan-Yamamoto-%E7%AB%B9%E3%81%AE%E7%B5%84%E6%9B%B2-The-Suite-For-Shakuhachi/master/545777

 

Is this one how it looks? Full on jazz shakuhachi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this one how it looks? Full on jazz shakuhachi?

Yes, that's about it, shakuhachi all the way. It is an energetic live recording. Great band.

"Full on" might be overstating it a bit it's not Brotzmann-esque :)

this should give you an idea

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, that's about it, shakuhachi all the way. It is an energetic live recording. Great band.

"Full on" might be overstating it a bit it's not Brotzmann-esque :)

this should give you an idea

 

As long as Yamamoto is better at keeping his top on than Herbie Mann, I am in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

As long as Yamamoto is better at keeping his top on than Herbie Mann, I am in.

I've no evidence to suggest otherwise but you never know these days... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

As long as Yamamoto is better at keeping his top on than Herbie Mann, I am in.

 

This needs a footnote...

Oh wait, I get it. Ha ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

This needs a footnote...

Oh wait, I get it. Ha ha. 

Don't make me post the album cover.

Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Buy Monte Carlo Rug silver silky shag pile | Land of Rugs

Is that your place?  TTK approves of the Barcelona chair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Is that your place?  TTK approves of the Barcelona chair!

Sadly not. I'd approve of the chair if it were mine too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Buy Monte Carlo Rug silver silky shag pile | Land of Rugs

The flute and double entendre album title seem to have been cropped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Sadly not. I'd approve of the chair if it were mine too

We have a very faithful knockoff of a Barcelona, loveseat length.  The knockoffs are affordable, but make sure you get one that has the correct leg design.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Masahiko Satoh is still going strong. I've seen him several times this year, in a quartet with Kosuke Mine, in a duo with Masuo (who played with Sonny Rollins in the 70s) and playing standards with a bassist. His catalogue is enormous, including collaborations with singers ranging from Helen Merrill to Lauren Newton.

This 3- page section is just from 1969 to 1996.  Discography (mmjp.or.jp)

One more recent platter uses Japanese songs in an accessible way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 1:51 PM, Late said:

The bank can always freeze your account if necessary. :D

Another album (non-Aketagawa) on Aketa's Disk is Masayuki Takayanagi's Angry Waves (the actual title is 850113):

R-1027087-1528289342-2551.jpeg.jpg

To me, this is Takayanagi's masterpiece. Granted, I haven't heard everything, but this record is beautiful in the most brooding, dark-energy sort of way. Never has a noise record (and I wouldn't actually identify this as a "noise record") sounded so musical. I'd give it a crown if I were contributing to the Penguin Guide. Certainly not for all listeners, and it can be an exhausting listen, but the depth of focus (at least to me) is amazing.

 

yeah, I actually have that one on vinyl -- great album indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to quickly wrap up an awkward Sunday brunch get-together:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.