Spotify Question: Needle-drops

clifford_thornton

Not sure where to post this but I figured "audio talk" was as good as any... in listening to some obscure out-of-print stuff on Spotify, I noticed that these have to be needle-drops. It got me wondering how Spotify gets the music they put up and whether their sources are doing much QC.

Related: I'd also never heard/owned BYG Sunspots or Fuel 2000 CDs except for the triple Silva (wanted to get a nearly uninterrupted version), and these things are totally raunchy needle drops. Nasty.

Anyway, other things on Spotify people have caught with particularly bad sound?

Spotify is a distributor, so they get the music from whatever label that owns the rights, or - in the case of public domain material - from any label that has signed up with them and is offering it. Since it's possible to make a digital-only release of a PD recording very cheaply, there's a wealth of labels that seem to exist for this very purpose only. Much of this shouldn't really be available in the US as it's not in the public domain there.

In album view the label/rightsholder is stated, usually at the bottom. When an album is available in multiple versions (as the PD material almost invariably is) i always try to see if I can find a release from the proper rightsholder as to not unnecessarily feed the shadier PD labels.

As for albums in bad sound, there's too much to mention among the digital PD labels.

Edited by Daniel A