FS Thelonious Monk Complete Riverside cd box

Pete B

For sale: Thelonious Monk Complete Riverside cd box in excellent condition. $110 $90including postage within the USA. I can mail to other countries at my cost. Paypal or your check. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Pete B

Also gave mine up many years ago during some hard times - for probably way too little if I recall.

I've re-bought all my favorite sessions except Monk 5 by 5, I think

I've never been a fan of the first two trio sessions and the last live recordings are hit or miss fairly rote dates.

The heart of the box are the great band recordings from 1956 through 1959. As most know, they are some of the greatest Monk recordings of all. For me the only other Monk that compares are the original blue notes and the prestige trios from 1952 and 1954.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Man, those two trio dates are right up there with the Prestige dates to me! Love them!

I have this box, remember well the day I scraped enough dollars up to buy it at Tower Austin. I have three quarters of it on individual releases that came out since then (K2, Keepnews, etc.) Love this music! Someone who can should gnab this.

$6.666666666666666666

Maybe everyone is afraid to buy it for that very reason!

HMMMMM - I suppose I could let it go for $99.99 if that helps :w

Nah, still works out to exactly. $6.666 per disc that way. At least the last 6 doesn't repeat forever in that case, so I guess it helps a little bit.

I would think that somebody would need this...I put it off for muchthe same reasons as Steve didn't re-buy it, but now that I have it...it's the difference between having a bunch of tools scattered all over the house waiting to get lost and/or forgotten and having a toolbox with everything in it. You know where everything is and you know that everything is there.

Yeah, that's right. Somebody gets this for $90, I'm making up the extra $10 to Pete. Square business.

Let the record show that I am not in the habit of doing things like this, nor do I intend of getting into the habit of doing things like this. Y'all peddle your own wares your own way.

But seeing this thing sitting here languishing, this great music, this truly historical document, for this great price, hey. It hurts, it really hurts.

So, somebody carpe diem, please.

OK, I'll bite.

So how much is on here that did not make it to the original Riverside LPs or CDs?

To the LPs, a massive amount, really.

Original CDs, I don't know. The box has been out for a while, and seems like some of its "extra" contents came out on later individual CDs afterwards. How that plays out chronologically/numerically, I don't know.

O.K. Look. This modern stuff is ridiculous, but if I'm going to try and listen to some, I think Monk is a good way in (and the Ellington album is probably a good place to start).

So I'll take it, if no one else has jumped yet. I'll PM you with PayPal/address/etc., Pete.