Lesley Gore, RIP

GA Russell

Not wrecked by Wrecking Crew, so yes, HAD to have had SOMETHING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7LdgPKO1AY

Sure wonder what Lulu would have sounded like with that band, though, but that didn't happen, so.

Old school revue chops, you got 10-15 minutes, come out there hard, hit it hard, give'em a show in that little bit of time, then BOOM, onward. Ride the wave.

Can people still do that type of thing?

Lesley Sue Goldstein, born in Brooklyn. If she had a bat mitzvah, I hope Moms doesn't find out about it.

Clem/Moms isn't an anti-semite, despite what some of you seem to have weirdly inferred.

Further, I've always assumed that Moms is a landsman -- although we know that they're the worst kind. :)

Well, then, please ignore what I posted. I'm merely pro-bar-and-bat mitzvah, that's all! :)

You Don't Owe Me!

I suppose we should be more respectful of Ms. Gore...didn't her kid brother invent the internet, or something like that?

And in all seriousness, I was never, and never really became, a "fan". That hair and those pearls just...out of sync for where my head was at girlwise, in those days. But - when she got past that look, she got a lot cuter in my eyes, and what I really came to dig about here was the strength that she projected, she was no shrinking violet, when she cried, she CRIED, when she taunted, she TAUNTED, and when she told you do recognize, hey, you BETTER recognize. Tough chick, really, iron fist/velvet glove(s), that type of thing (and dig the way she handled Sullivan, no fawning, NO fawning, kinda like, "later, creep", pretty damn impressive, I think).

When I was 8-9, that kind of thing was not yet factoring into my consciousness, but the older I got, hey, you learn about that stuff. She was one of the original New School Girls.

I'm surprised nobody has blamed her for Quincy Jones yet. But they worked well together, at least in the 60s...70s, maybe not as well. Depends on how I'm feeling, some days are better than others.

Let it be noted, though, that Herbie Hancock is on that record, so if you're a true HH completist, you gotta have it!

And also let it be noted that those 60s records of theirs had every bit as kicking an underpinning as they did punchyass overdubbed vocals. They worked well together.

Like I said, a "fan" I am not, not particularly, but an Appreciator, yes, definitely am that.

And that Batman shit, CLASSIC.

You Don't Owe Me!

I suppose we should be more respectful of Ms. Gore...didn't her kid brother invent the internet, or something like that?

And in all seriousness, I was never, and never really became, a "fan". That hair and those pearls just...out of sync for where my head was at girlwise, in those days. But - when she got past that look, she got a lot cuter in my eyes, and what I really came to dig about here was the strength that she projected, she was no shrinking violet, when she cried, she CRIED, when she taunted, she TAUNTED, and when she told you do recognize, hey, you BETTER recognize. Tough chick, really, iron fist/velvet glove(s), that type of thing (and dig the way she handled Sullivan, no fawning, NO fawning, kinda like, "later, creep", pretty damn impressive, I think).

When I was 8-9, that kind of thing was not yet factoring into my consciousness, but the older I got, hey, you learn about that stuff. She was one of the original New School Girls.

I'm surprised nobody has blamed her for Quincy Jones yet. But they worked well together, at least in the 60s...70s, maybe not as well. Depends on how I'm feeling, some days are better than others.

Let it be noted, though, that Herbie Hancock is on that record, so if you're a true HH completist, you gotta have it!

And also let it be noted that those 60s records of theirs had every bit as kicking an underpinning as they did punchyass overdubbed vocals. They worked well together.

Like I said, a "fan" I am not, not particularly, but an Appreciator, yes, definitely am that.

And that Batman shit, CLASSIC.

Then there's this: "Besides her brother and mother, Gore is survived by her partner of more than three decades, Lois Sasson."

Also, I recall reading somewhere that Gore played a major role in selecting the material she recorded, "It's My Party" in particular, and that in this respect she and Quincy were on equal footing or that Gore was even in the driver's seat, which is saying something for a 16 year old.

From Lou Christie's Wikipedia page:

In 1986, Lou recorded a duet with Lesley Gore of a medley of "Since I Don't Have You"/"It's Only Make Believe" for Manhattan Records, a division of EMI-America. The two singers were touring together at the time, and the song was released only as a one-off single.

(Apologies if a reference to this has appeared previously in this thread.)

Somebody should have done a REAL rock opera for those two, a tragedy about gender wars and surviving them and how it all starts as kids and how its never really all that much fun except in the heat of passion/battle, it's either kill or be killed and how that's fun until the lessons get learnt, and then, hey peace thru scarring.

But poppy, of course. The poppier the tragedier.