Don Braden -- any thoughts/recommendations?

Larry Kart

The other day I picked up a copy of Braden's 1995 album "Organic," with Jack McDuff, Larry Goldings, Fathead Newman and others and was quite pleased by what I heard. (I'd heard some '90s Braden before, I think on Criss Cross, and found him to be adept but rather generic.) I see that he's recorded a good many albums over the years, some of them with a pop and/or populist slant (e.g. "Workin'" -- an album of Earth, Wind and Fire tunes), but one of the tracks on "Organic" is a Whitney Houston cover, "Savin' All My Love For You," and it stimulates Braden to some fine playing. As I said above, any thoughts/recommendations?

Larry said it well when he referred to Braden as "adept but rather generic". I have quite a few examples of Braden's playing, primarily as a sideman with a variety

of different musicians. More often than not, his solos fail to do much for me. Though every so often I hear something interesting from him.

The CD "Organic" that Larry mentioned is certainly one of the best things I have heard by Don.

Not too long before Art Farmer died, I saw his quintet live with Dan Braden sharing the front line. Braden's playing was rather disappointing to me.

"Saving All My Love For You" is a good tune to play on, nice singable melody, familiar changes that get laid out in a somewhat unpredictable manner, and a great bridge. Some people think of it as "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" Pt. 2, but not really, starts out like that but goes its own way soon enough. I've played it a gazillion times, but almost always on pop/R&B gigs. Guess it's not hip enough for jazz. Then again, sometimes it's more hip to be unhip.

• 8 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2015‎ ‎01‎:‎26‎:‎06, Larry Kart said:

The other day I picked up a copy of Braden's 1995 album "Organic," with Jack McDuff, Larry Goldings, Fathead Newman and others and was quite pleased by what I heard. (I'd heard some '90s Braden before, I think on Criss Cross, and found him to be adept but rather generic.) I see that he's recorded a good many albums over the years, some of them with a pop and/or populist slant (e.g. "Workin'" -- an album of Earth, Wind and Fire tunes), but one of the tracks on "Organic" is a Whitney Houston cover, "Savin' All My Love For You," and it stimulates Braden to some fine playing. As I said above, any thoughts/recommendations?

Well, sorry, but I was going to join in this thread by warning people against this album. To me, apart from 'Moonglow' (the duet with that nice young gentleman on guitar) it's as entirely wrong as a soul jazz album (which is what Dorn and Braden intended - 'soul jazz with intelligence', it sez in the notes) as any album possibly could be, even with the presence of Fathead and Brother Jack. I resolved then not to get any others (though I DO have to say that he's on Jimmy Ponder's 'Guitar Christmas', which I like as lot as a Christmas jazz album).

Perhaps I like 'Moonglow' because it LACKS intelligence and just sticks to swinging beautifully.

MG

Prompted by this thread, I re-listened to The Open Road during my morning commute. I really like it. Nothing mind-blowing. But solid.

51O4aNkOtHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They play an ear-catching version of "Someday My Prince Will Come" with some nice Herbie-ish harmonies. They cover "Maiden Voyage" too. Can't go wrong with that tune.  

By the way, anyone besides me ever thought that Don Braden looks an awful lot like Harold Land???

DB%20by%20Will%20Hauser_6499%20E1cm.jpg  1b43745623c9c7fb9f7cade98c168.jpg

Not quite "dead ringers." But close! ;)  

Edited by HutchFan

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly, no one mentioned so far "The Voice of the Saxophone" by The Don Braden Octet, with front line of Vincent Herring & Hamiett Bluiett, Randy Brecker & Frank Lacy & a solid, though mostly supportive rhythm section. Beautiful playing all overall, with inventive arrangements of classics like "Speak no Evil" and "After the Rain" and some good originals. Could be his best playing recorded.

I'm also in the "adept but rather generic" camp - except for "Can't Hide Love" from the 'Workin' album, a live organ trio with Kyle Koehler and  Cecil Brooks III, which has always knocked  me out. Released under Braden's name, but I would bet it was Brooks' gig (he is listed as the producer).   I never avoid anything when I see Braden's name,  I've never seen him live.

Sounds generic.

On 2/17/2015 at 1:16 PM, Larry Kart said:

"Moonglow" -- that one caught my ear right away.

And "Savin' All My Love for You."

Don's sound is technically very facile, no doubt, but I find his playing anonymous.

Just my $.02

Edited by Dmitry