2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Caught the Houston Astros vs my hometown Corpus Christi Hooks tonight. 'Stros won 7-4. It was fun seeing the former Hooks who are playing for the Astros now (Jose Altuve & George Springer among others), versus some up and coming talent that will make it's way to Houston before too long.

Carlos Correa (1st overall pick in the 2012 draft) looked good for the Hooks, hit a monster homer.

The Astros aren't going to make the playoffs (again), but they're taking steady steps toward being respectable, at least.

Edited by Aggie87

Fishing hook - it's a coastal thing. Kind of a silly name, but it's grown on me over the 10 years they've been here.

Hunter Pence played for the Hooks before making it to the bigs, and is still beloved here, as is Altuve. Delino DeShields Jr was also a Hook last year, until the Rangers stole him away this offseason.

The Hooks are the Astros' AA affiliate.

CChooks.PNG

Edited by Aggie87

So the manager gives the hook to a Hook pitcher a few times a game (most of the time). Seems like a great promotional opportunity for a local business.

"This hook brought to you by Earl's Rod & Reel."

Or maybe a fund-raising sponsorship, $5 for every hook on the season.

:g

(of course I realize since a pitcher getting the hook isn't really a preferred outcome I guess it would have to be predicated on opposition hooks, not Hook hooks.) :g :G

Not to jinx anything but the Sox are off to a nice start against future (perhaps) teammate Cole Hamels, with four solo shots, two by Pedroia who really needs a bounce-back year, and one each by Hanley Ramirez and Mookie Betts (remember that name, he's gonna be a frigging star).

And the Yanks ace got clobbered in his first start and took the loss. He's said he isn't going to throw as hard as last season, and it sounds like part of his 'avoid TJ surgery" strategy. I don't wish him ill but I think the odds are greater than even that sometime this season he tears the ligament and misses 12 months. And the longer it takes the more of a next season that he'll miss.

So the manager gives the hook to a Hook pitcher a few times a game (most of the time). Seems like a great promotional opportunity for a local business.

(of course I realize since a pitcher getting the hook isn't really a preferred outcome I guess it would have to be predicated on opposition hooks, not Hook hooks.) :g :g

:tup

Maybe the one doing the hooking should be called The Hooker.

Pitching sucks? "We want The Hooker, bring out The Hooker!!!"

I could get behind that chant.

(of course I realize since a pitcher getting the hook isn't really a preferred outcome I guess it would have to be predicated on opposition hooks, not Hook hooks.) :g :g

:tup

Maybe the one doing the hooking should be called The Hooker.

Pitching sucks? "We want The Hooker, bring out The Hooker!!!"

I could get behind that chant.

With The Hooker in double-A and Hoes in triple-A, I sense the start of a new trend for the Astros and their minor-league affiliates. :w