2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

On Neal's point, from what I have heard today, once the ump called Utley out he had no obligation to touch 2nd so he was safe on the reversal.

Thanks Brad. I bet you are right, but somebody at MLB has some 'splainin' to do. Sounds like "You weren't out, therefore you are SAFE!"

How would this have worked if Utley had simply stopped running halfway between 1st and 2nd, then Tejada missed touching 2nd base but Utley was called out, then the Dodgers appealed, then the umpires in NY reviewed it and agreed he was not out. Would Utley have been awarded 2nd base? Is so, that makes NO SENSE to me and I am sure to many other baseball fans. You have to run out the play and tag the base in order to be safe. That is rule number one in baseball. Since Utley never even tried to tag 2nd base. I can't see him being awarded the base.

And all that is outside the discussion of whether or not it was a dirty slide. It's baseball 101.

Nice win in Houston!!! Dallas "House of David" Keuchel!!

Edited by Neal Pomea

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keuchel had a high pitch count today, but looked great.  I think he's continued the level of play from the regular season that has him as a front runner for the Cy Young.  I think he deserves it.  

Colby Rasmus didn't hit a homer tonight (for the first time in the postseason), but he did hit one so high that it hit the rafters inside Minute Maid Park.  Ended up being fair because neither the Royals right fielder or second baseman could react to the carom quickly enough.  I think they said that hasn't happened in that Park before (or at least that Biggio, who was watching and commented, had never seen it happen).

McCullers is on the mound tomorrow, hopefully the Astros bring their bats.

Being a Rangers fan the last few years means that the phrase "just one _____ away" is at least as much threat as comfort..

Neal, your logic seems sound to me "not out" does not necessarily equate to "safe"...it's not unheard of for a runner to cross the plate without actually touching it, the umpire gives no safe signal, a catcher notices, then scrambles to tag the runner before he gets too far gone, and then up comes the ump's thumb.

The suspension seems like a half-assed attempt to admit to a blown call without actually admitting to it. And just two games, Utley free to resume play if the series goes back to L.A., what is this some kind of baseball Witness Protection Program?

And the notion that the odds of sports fans in Texas' two biggest cities being more invested in baseball than in football on a Sunday where the NFL season is fully underway are at least 50/50 defies any type of physics, known or unknown.

And the notion that the odds of sports fans in Texas' two biggest cities being more invested in baseball than in football on a Sunday where the NFL season is fully underway are at least 50/50 defies any type of physics, known or unknown.

Indeed. It's somewhere between ridiculous and ironic that Houston now has very good baseball and basketball teams, and a perpetually godawful football team, but guess who still gets the lion's share of viewership, let alone media coverage? I just saw a piece last week that claimed that almost twice as many people on average were watching Texans preseason games (featuring mostly second-stringers) than watched the Astros-Yankees wild card game.

Football is king in Texas. 'Twas ever thus, and seemingly always will be, unfortunately for those of us who recognize the clear superiority of baseball. :cool:

Indeed. It's somewhere between ridiculous and ironic that Houston now has very good baseball and basketball teams, and a perpetually godawful football team, but guess who still gets the lion's share of viewership, let alone media coverage? I just saw a piece last week that claimed that almost twice as many people on average were watching Texans preseason games (featuring mostly second-stringers) than watched the Astros-Yankees wild card game.

Football is king in Texas. 'Twas ever thus, and seemingly always will be, unfortunately for those of us who recognize the clear superiority of baseball. :cool:

I know I'd watch more Astros games if it were possible with any of the cable providers in Corpus Christi, and so would many other fans in this area.  This is an Astros market, but since the Astros have been on "Root Sports" and whatever it was before that, they simply aren't available here to watch.  They used to be on Fox Sports all the time.  

So I can understand why the Astros tv market is small, even in Houston over that general timeframe, with some games getting a 0.0 viewership.

What still doesn't make sense to me is why Houston is considered a small market for baseball when it's the 4th largest city in the nation.

What still doesn't make sense to me is why Houston is considered a small market for baseball when it's the 4th largest city in the nation.

Aggie, I have an idea about that.  Although the term "small market" is used to refer to a city, I don't think those in the know mean that at all.  I think they are referring to a relatively unpopular team.

This thought came to me because for years I read references to the Pittsburgh Pirates being a "small market team," but I have never once seen the Pittsburgh Steelers referred to as a "small market team."

Wild dramathought here - any word floating out about Utley getting death threats in NYC? Just wondering how scared MLB is of what kind of "controversy" at Citifield to hand out such a...situational suspension.

Imo, football will be king in Texas becuase of the heritage created by high school and college being the only game in town for a whole helluva lot of generations. I can remember a time when the right SWC matchup could generate more frenzy than anything NFL. Plus, you know, college athletics so often end up being these little richdick cartels that are all about their owners dickswinging against each other, And really, let's face, if you're in or around someplace like Lubbock and it's time for sports, what the hell else ARE you going to do? And if you're a rich guy who wants to whip that moneydick around, what are you gonna do, go to St. Louis and hang out with the Buschses? No, you're gonna invest locally and then branch out from there. That, for the longest, meant football, and especially SWC football.

I know the percentages, but this is where things get dicey for the Rangers, I think, the whole streaky offense/schizo starter thing. Derek Holland tomorrow, the guy's either going to be a freaking stud or a total flop, and the thing is, at this point in time, neither would be a surprise. Can't start Colby b/c he gives up the long ball, get by on Beltre-like guts and run support, and, really, too much tempting of too much fate. So Holland it will be, good lord, Rangers, couldn't all this have waited until NEXT year?

A loss tomorrow, and then you go back to Toronto, narrative in full force, baseball loves it some narrative (as do I, but mine are more about personal burns than Ken Burns), but bottom line is that the Jays are the better team over the long haul, and I like to see that play out right, if only because right now, baseball not looking so good as far as that whole "in the end it all makes sense" thing, Joe Torre in Arlington tonight, must've needed a day at Six Flags to get his head right. But dude, all them coasters not good for the equilibrium or the backbone, trust me, I know.

Although if it doesn't work out that way and the Rangers do win, oh well! :g

This thought came to me because for years I read references to the Pittsburgh Pirates being a "small market team," but I have never once seen the Pittsburgh Steelers referred to as a "small market team."

I can recall ca. 1965-6 reading articles in places like Sport Magazine (RIP) explaining why Roberto Clemente wasn't better known than he was, and it seems like they always came down to A) he wasn't particularly "media-friendly" (meaning that he didn't really suck up to writers or play Chico Escuela) and that B) he played in Pittsburgh instead of a "major city", which in turn meant that he didn't get major media coverage like the guys in NY & LA did. For that matter, did hte Angels ever get the visibility of the Giants & Dodgers in the early days, and how much of that was due to the folks back east missing them some Willie & some Duke?

The legacy of pre-cable/pre--internet life...Roberto Clemente did not have a Twitter account. MLB as a brand did not exist, Sporting News was actually timely news, and who the hell was the "national writer" in Pittsburgh, anyway?

"...a home run they'll be talking about in Pittsburgh for years and years..even FORVER"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhkOV9DcjdU

Market size really doesn't matter when it comes to the NFL because it's a nationally televised on major networks. So revenues from commercial dollars is pretty much the same across the board. 

In baseball it's almost entirely dependent on your market size because coverage is local/regional on independent stations (though most are associated with Fox Sports these days, they still only broadcast in their own market). 

Scott nailed it about football taking care of its own.  Could there be a Green Bay -- the ultimate small market team -- in baseball. No way. 

I'm sure that baseball is worried about what might happen from the stands tonight, which is why Utley was suspended, and I'm sure his appeal will be quickly rejected.  As it is, it will be a tense atmosphere tonight.  

It's also the case that some teams have a national following outside their region and are just more popular. Think of the 2004 playoffs between the Yankees and Red Sox. Held interest way beyond the northeast. Then think of the historic 2005 World Series with Chicago White Sox (out to break their own curse) and Houston in its first and only World Series appearance. There was not much national interest at all. TV ratings were way down!  They couldn't make a compelling narrative out of it, which I thought was amazing!

Chicago Cubs hold more national interest than the White Sox. You can't really compare national interest in the Cubs with interest in the Astros, no matter the population or size of the regional market.

When I was listening to the Toronto-Rangers game Friday the announcer said Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America. Mexico City, NY, LA, then Toronto. I had no idea! I also heard that Houston has surpassed Chicago for the 5th spot. Chicago is the Sixth City now.

When I was listening to the Toronto-Rangers game Friday the announcer said Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America. Mexico City, NY, LA, then Toronto. I had no idea! I also heard that Houston has surpassed Chicago for the 5th spot. Chicago is the Sixth City now.

That is true, though it is only because they changed the boundaries of Toronto in 1998.  It includes a lot of territory that is essentially suburban.

1945 and 1908 respectively.

I find it interesting how the Cards kept Wacha for Game 3, clearly to line him up against whichever ace came out on top of the Wild Card playoff game.  But Wacha is so clearly superior imo to anyone else they have including Lackey (with or without appalling pitch-calling by the ump) why would you set yourself up so he only pitches once in a five game playoff against what is probably the toughest team they'll face in the playoffs?

This completely contradicts the whole point of the Wild Card playoff: Make the wild card teams burn their best pitcher in the play-in game, while the division champion opponent can line up their own ace to go twice in a five game series.

Should be a good game today either way but if Arrieta keeps up his 'historic' run:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/153956848/jake-arrietas-run-among-best-in-mlb-history

I like the Cubs chances to move on.

It's also the case that some teams have a national following outside their region and are just more popular. Think of the 2004 playoffs between the Yankees and Red Sox. Held interest way beyond the northeast. Then think of the historic 2005 World Series with Chicago White Sox (out to break their own curse) and Houston in its first and only World Series appearance. There was not much national interest at all. TV ratings were way down!  They couldn't make a compelling narrative out of it, which I thought was amazing!

Chicago Cubs hold more national interest than the White Sox. You can't really compare national interest in the Cubs with interest in the Astros, no matter the population or size of the regional market.

The Cardinals are still a huge draw nationally, as well. 

The Royals were last year because of their story, but likely wouldn't be this year. 

If the Cubs made it in, it would be like the Royals story on steroids, though. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Hey Aggie...

How 'bout them Astros?

I knew they'd play better in the AL West. Congrats!

Thanks!   :)

I'm still in shock about this season for the 'Stros so far.  Exceeded my expectations and most fans, I think. 

The two times I saw Carlos Correa in person while he was with our local team this season, I never imagined he'd be playing in October *this year*.  Dude only turned 21 two weeks ago.

I'd love to see a competitive series against the Royals now!

The 'Stros Fresno Triple-A club won the Pacific League Championship, too.

These guys are stacked now and I suspect will be helping the parent club for many years to come.

I have "no dog in this fight" as they say, but these replays are getting out of hand -- that should have been a stolen base, but now, normal baseball plays are being overturned.  I know this is "get off my lawn" talk, but replay is starting to take away from the game on the field for me.

I have "no dog in this fight" as they say, but these replays are getting out of hand -- that should have been a stolen base, but now, normal baseball plays are being overturned.  I know this is "get off my lawn" talk, but replay is starting to take away from the game on the field for me.

I'm with you.

Seems a lot of the time these challenges are being used just to play mind games with the other manager/bench. I think if that starts happening with any regularity [like with Mattingly and the Dodgers] they need to yank the privilege.

FWIW...