2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding last night's game, I'm not terribly optimistic about tomorrow. Bats have been generally quiet for a couple of weeks, Monday being a major exception.  deGrom will need to be close to perfect to win. They may need to bring in Syndergaard at some point, with him and Colon being a bridge to Familia.  No one else in that pen is trustworthy. 

I thought for sure last night was going to be a repeat when Murphy knocked it out but it was not to be. I'm cautiously optimistic of a win tomorrow. 

Listening to the game on the radio, dugouts empty again after out 3 of the jays 7th, Rangers announcer Matt Hicks says "Are you KIDDING me?....Get it together, IT'S BASEBALL."

Toronto has the better team (this year), but their fans -at least the ones at the game - are another story.

And now on the radio, Reliant Energy offering free Elvis Andrus autographed baseball for signing up.

Baaaaaaad timing.

But, team far exceeded expectations this year, and is positioned to be that good all year next year. But this year, total gravy. I was listening to the game and thinking, wow, even if they do win this one, what happens next, there's no there there, ya' know. So, baseball justice. 2015 AL West Division champion Texas Rangers, no complaints, much appreciation.

But Toronto, y'all need to learn how to bitch and moan w/o getting stupid about it. Odor paid attention. You don't bitch about a guy paying attention. You get fired up and win without throwing shit on the field and having police all over the place. Save that shit for when y'all get rid of the Queen, or something like that. In the meantime, just wait for baseball justice, for all that improbable shit to even out, if you don't believe in that, you're in the wrong game.

Beltre forever, and if he shoots Elvis dead in front of the whole country, hey, I didn't see it, did you? He's already dead to me now, so what's the dif? He'll be back alive for ST, so let it happen.

Meanwhile, Go Cubs, Go Astros or Royals. If Mets vs Jays in WS, Go Mets.

No point in trying to excuse the Jays fans.  They were jerks. 

It will be interesting to see if any rules are rewritten in the wake of this post-season.  That rule about the catcher throwing a dead ball back to the pitcher and allowing it to score a run is badly written.

I don't know if it's badly written or not...if the guy makes a bad throw back to the pitcher, runners can move, right? And that's really what this was, a bad throw back to the mound. Choo and his bat were both in the box and not subject to any kind of interference call, so it's a live ball.

Maybe not a bad rule as much as it is probably the weirdest playing out of it ever? But credit Odor, paying attention, again, acting like he belongs there. Take a lesson, Elvis!

Where I did get a little crosswise with Bannister, though, was when he questioned the slide at home. Taht was kind of reachy, and just...don't go there dude. #NEVEREVERQUIT d/n mean that kind of move, #NEVEREVER.

But as far as the Odor play goes, yet another Knotty Problem Of Baseball, in loving memory of Nippy Jones.

I guess, though that just seems a stupid legacy of cricket.  In any case, the umpire had ruled it a dead ball, and in my view (but apparently not the rule book) that would take precedence.  It would be like a soccer team trying to shoot after the whistle.

Well, no question I will never be any kind of a sports fan, since I think all of them have layers and layers of stupid rules that have perverse outcomes.

I did watch the Jays' closer get his last 5 outs and the kid was incredible.  I don't know how others felt, but I thought that elevated the game beyond all the other bush-league stuff, including the fans in the stands.

Edited by ejp626

Astros and Rangers fans (and players, etc.) will remember this one.  So close to moving on.

Cardinals can say, "oh, well, we'll be back next year."

Don't know if it's worse to lose like Astros did or just be blown out.  Neither feels too good.

Mets and Dodgers fans are starting to have sweaty palms (2.5 hours to go as we speak).

Astros and Rangers fans (and players, etc.) will remember this one.  So close to moving on.

I heard some Rangers fans comparing this to Game 6 of the 2011 WS, trying to decide which one hurt the most, and I'm like, are you serious?

2011 was a fiery, dry reaming by the Baseball Devils, no other way for us to lose that game that way.That one hurt. I think I even had Baseball PTSD for a year or two afterwards, maybe still do.

Last night was just...baseball critical mass happening. The team had avoided too many weaknesses for too long. And then, they happened all at once. Again I ask, even if they did win, where were they gonna go after that?

The team was picked to finish last in the division (not without at least some reason, although I myself thought that was just a tad harsh) and they won it. They were given no chance against the Jays and they took it about as long as they could, and they got DEEP inside their heads, maybe even the heads of an entire country :g while doing it. You want more out of this team under these conditions, Rangers fans? Not me, I had a blast!

I'm also looking at an organization that has played meaningful September baseball - and played at lease a Game 163 - five of the last six years now, and I'm thinking, hey, we finally have a real team in Arlington, an organization that is in it to win, if not everything all the time, to at least never again have a season like 2014, unless, like 2014, everybody gets hurt all the time, all day, every day. To always be seriously  in the mix come September. And I'm thinking that the folks in Houston are thinking the same after this year.

Believe me, that is nothing to take for granted, it's not the legacy of major league baseball in Texas.

Yet...

Don't know if it's worse to lose like Astros did or just be blown out.  Neither feels too good.

Mets and Dodgers fans are starting to have sweaty palms (2.5 hours to go as we speak).

For me as an Astros fan, Game 5 didn't hurt as much as Game 4, when their bullpen (really Harris & Sipp) cratered and gave up all of those late runs.  They had the game and the series in the bag at that point.

All in all it was a good season for Houston.  Hopefully they can address some of their shortcomings and do better next year.  It feels like "just wait til next year" instead of just saying that.  

As a long suffering Royals fan who just got his first taste of success last year, I can say I'd rather be blown out 10-0 than lose a 1-0 ball game. Especially in extra innings.

BUT, having been 90ft away from the tying run in game 7 of the World Series last year, I can say I would MUCH rather have been there than having been swept or losing 4-1. 

It was a fantastic series against the Astros, and I would have been just fine had they won last night because my boys faught hard. That's all a fan can reasonably ask. 

Bring on the Cubbies!

Well I said bring on the Mets and now it's time to see if my suspicion was right.  Nothing comes easy in October and the Mets are a way different team from the one that the Cubs manhandled so we'll just have to see. I like the fact that the Mets best starter can't go until game 3 but Arrieta and Lester have to do their jobs.

Foolish to look forward to the World Series but one thing I think would work in the Cubs favor is that they have hard-hitting guys like Schwarber to serve as DH in the AL park. So many NL teams play under AL rules and don't really have a DH that matches up with the AL team's DH.  The Cubs would have options at that position, provided they get past the Mets.

garrickutley.jpg

???

Was that meant for me? 

Go Cubbies!

I never thought I'd see the day when the Royals were the only one of the remaining four Championship Series teams to have the most recent success. 

Three short years ago none of the four teams remaining even had winning records. The Mets at 74-88 had the best record. That same year the Cubs lost 101 games!

garrickutley.jpg

???

Was that meant for me? 

Go Cubbies!

I never thought I'd see the day when the Royals were the only one of the remaining four Championship Series teams to have the most recent success. 

Three short years ago none of the four teams remaining even had winning records. The Mets at 74-88 had the best record. That same year the Cubs lost 101 games!

The turnaround started in 2013 when Harvey burst on the scene.  Obviously a few of the players here now were here then (Murphy, Wright, Niese). 

Amazing comeback by the Royals! Death by paper cut! One single after another.That's the way one of those commentators described the game 4 comeback against Houston, and it's happening again! For what it's worth, Pete Rose predicts KC in 5.

WS symmetry/karma this year? 

How about Chicago - KC (the jazz series!)

How about NY - KC  (the 1950s oddity of the Kansas City Athletics being almost a farm team for the Yankees!)

There's the great story of Casey Stengel going to sit down next to a struggling Yankee player in the dugout in the middle of a game and telling him "Not too many people know this but ONE of us has been traded to Kansas City." The man had a way with the language!

Edited by Neal Pomea