2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

Dude, I don't know who these pundits and such are, probably on ESPN or behind somebody's paywall? But how can you not like baseball and not like the Royals? They just fucking play baseball well, what is not to like about that? Singles maybe not sexy, but winning sure is.

Stay sexy Royals, just don't turn into the Cardinals about it. :g

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

The flipside of that is that if your manager has a tendency to handle his closer reactively rather than proactively, then perhaps it's time to find a different manager.

However...

If your closer's m.o. is the strikeout, then no don't worry about baserunners.

If your closer's m.o. in any way involves allowing contact (as opposed to occasional contact being an unfortunate inevitability), even soft contact, then, yes, be conscious of how the table is set when you bring him in.

Because, you know, once motion, shit can happen.

Not really watching the Mets except for the post-season, Familia's m.o. seemed to me to be getting outs through strikeouts and soft contact in about equal measure. He didn't seem to be one of these guys where if you even touch the ball it's a miracle. So, yes, manage the context, maximize opportunity for successful outcomes, don't just put him out there in the middle of a bunch of shit and tell him, ok, bye, go be a hero now. I mean, yeah, you can do that, and when it works, sure Hero, but...really? There are less comic-book ways to go about it!

This is why you see managers using relievers for one batter. It seems hyper-micro-managerial sometimes, but if you can get the best matchup on a pitcher by pitcher basis until you get to a better spot to use you closer, then you do so. In some situations, a 4 or 5 (or even 6) out save is an easier proposition than is a 3 out save. It all depends on the set-up.

I take it that the Mets did not really have to tools to go at it like that, but based on what happened to the baseball after it left Famila's hand (as opposed to what the box scores says happened), I think they're fine at closer, just fine. They just need better situational relievers and less flukey defense. Who doesn't?

And having said that, yes, Collins got his team to the WS, and lord knows he's been a great guy on some not so great teams for many years, and it was really nice to see him here. It was joyful to see his glow after the NLCS, I LOL-ed in happiness to see that, I really did. Terry Collins is ok by me. I wish he would have made some different decisions about his closer, so we could have - maybe - seen him a few games more.

Either way, though, mull it over in the off-season, let Familia know that all is well, and keep being Terry Collins...and maybe ask for a bigger uniform next year, see if you can't get that Stengal '63 thing rockin' to full effect, you're almost there!

Famiia wasn't supposed to be closer this year.  He had been the set up man but then that rocket scientist Jennry Mejia, who was the closer, got suspended (actually got suspended again, which is why they brought in Clippard) and Familia was made the man.  He had a small blip against the Cardinals right after the All Star break and then one right before the trading deadline but other than that he was very good in his first year.  He developed the splitter, which got a lot of people out, but I think he fell in love with it too much and it cost him with Gordon.

People aren't really talking so much about Familia today but the decision to let Harvey go out for the 9th.  Ron Darling was on WFAN in NY today and he said in his day (not that long ago) when the manager said you're out, that was it.  Also, the Duda throw was a topic.

Terry will be back.  Had he not made the playoffs, probably not.

Just like a lot of teams, they have a lot of work to do.  The infield defense is weak.  Needs to be addressed somehow.  d'Arnaud was awful at throwing runners out.  Not sure how you address that.  Middle relief, problems most teams have.  Cespedes is gone (too expensive) so they need a bat to replace him unless they hope that Conforto will bloom.

Yeah, that Conforto guy, I liked what I saw of him, Seemed to have his head in the game at all times. Like Roughned Odor, acting like he belonged there. Good luck to him!

Also, good luck to Familia, glad to hear that he's not getting heat, he seems to be a fine talent, and other than the HR to Gordon in Game 1, seemed (limited exposure here, of course) not at all a bad closer when used as such (i.e. - don't ask him to be closer and spot reliever at the same time!). I saw Neftali Feliz more or less ruined by "perception" and its aftermath. You don't wish that on anybody, especially a kid who comes from not much and gets a shot at getting a lot. It's just sad. Sad and ugly. Good luck to Neftali Feliz.

As for what the manager saying goes no matter how intense the pleading, as far as I know, that's still in effect in at least some places! Ron Washington repeatedly had to deal with C.J. Wilson's pleadings, and the only time Wash let him stay was when he had a CGO or something on the line. and then, as soon as that was off the table, out came the hook. Other than that, once the call was made, that was that, and if you don't like the game being won, hey, we need to have another talk, this one in my office. Colby even made the plea once or twice, and you know, Colby is a freakin' Go To Work guy who will be the last person to question what his job at any given moment is so if Colby pleads, you figure it's gotta be meaningful. But no, once Wash made the call, the call was made..

I feel for Collins, though, I really do. It seems to have been an act of love, really, love for his guy's heart and love for what he had done up to that point. But in some situations, it's Tina Turner time, if you know what I mean. But good luck to Terry Collins, and good luck to future Mets. Stay Mets-y!

And now that it's all over, I gotta get this out - d'Arnaud peering up at every batter before giving his signals was funny as hell, d'Arnaud always touching his penisial area after giving said signals was just kinda creepy. Optics, baby, optics!

Collins trusted his pitcher. His pitcher had earned that trust. 

But, sometimes in baseball you have to be a little more shallow than that. Tina Turner, indeed. 

And I speak from experience watching Ned Yost go through it over the years. But these days his staff knows when Ned says "no", what he's really saying is "no...and don't bother asking". 

Collins went with his heart, rather than his gut. And until you've been there, it's impossible to blame him for that. That's a big fucking stage, man. 

Thought this was a really nicely written piece.

http://deadspin.com/terry-collins-made-the-right-call-on-matt-harvey-and-st-1740000072

"Collins acquiesced, and right then and there, left the evaluation of one of the bigger decisions he’ll ever make in the hands of the fates. The compartmentalization of baseball gives hindsight so much strength, and it felt odd, as a viewer, knowing in the moment that history would look back on his choice almost entirely through the lens of an outcome that hadn’t yet happened. The ante hoc calculus brutally simple, as Harvey ran out to the mound for the ninth: Collins’s call, already made, would only have been the correct one if Harvey won the game. The probabilities would be discarded in favor of short-term statistical noise."

Speaking of people named Collins, whatever happened to Tim Collins, the really short pitcher for the Royals who had the old school high HIGH leg kick? I used to look forward to that guy coming in against us just because that leg kick was so cool.

Oh, TJ surgery...shoulda looked that up first before asking...anyway, good luck to Tim Collins too!

23 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Thanks, brother. It feel really good. So happy for the boys. It's like watching the blue collar, lunch pail and hardhat guy win the lottery. Just a completely workman-like effort from this group day in and day out. They didn't have the starters to blow anyone away, and they weren't going to launch balls out of the park with any regularity on offense. But they're stubborn and determined fucks who believe in aggressive play, and pressuring the other team to perform (i.e. that tying run from Hosmer). They're just such a fun group of guys to watch, and super easy to root for. 

The Mets are a really good looking, young team that has been assembled in the same manner that the Royals have been. Through their own farm system. I admire that a lot. Teams that spend ungodly amounts to bring in a bunch of hired guns seasoned and trained elsewhere in an attempt to buy a championship aren't even worthy of my attention. But, just as the Royals were put together the "right" way, so were the Mets. And I think we'll see both teams continue to succeed in the near future. 

The Mets have to address their defense up the middle, as well as fortify their pen. The Royals, as always, will need to address the rotation. 

And Tim, I hope this offseason sees your boys get healthy again. You guys simply lost the war of attrition this season. Here's to seeing the Giants and their classy fan base back in the postseason next year! 

Thanks, Scott.

Tough year for my guys, injury-wise. 2nd place was quite an accomplishment in spite of it all.

Enjoy the WS win and bask in the off season glow, my friend. Your guys deserved it. 

Edited by Tim McG