2015 MLB Season - Let's Play Two!

JSngry

Hey Scott....saw your Royals last Friday in Oakland. Volquez was pitching and just plan handcuffed the A's.

A rather, um...inebriated Royals fan was getting a bit obnoxious, so helpful guy that I am, I reminded him that he is in Oaktown. These may not be rabid Raiders fans, but they can get a little feisty at times. Best to tone it down just a tad. Lo' and behold, come the late innings the locals were getting a smidge testy...and he finally shut up.

Real good ting...self preservation-wise

Across the Bay in ATT, however, things were a tad mellower on Saturday. Giants won and everybody but the very polite Rockies fans went home happy.

Edited by Tim McG

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing, indeed.

But that whole business about athletes going broke, I dunno. I think I could manage on $5.9 million bucks.

Mets got snookered. And Bonilla, if he was a fair man, would re-do the contract to help out a little.

Excited to see Rob Refsnyder's debut tonight against the Red Sox: Yankees calling up Refsnyder

An interesting and surprisingly enjoyable season for NY so far--clearly benefitting from the weakness of the AL East, to be sure. Very glad to see Brett Gardner make the All-Star team... He's been a joy to follow for the past seven years, one of my favorite players in the wake of the Core Four generation.

Edited by ghost of miles

A LEGAL DELIVERY

As for the delivery, Major League Baseball has deemed it legal and Capps can go on using it. After all, no pitcher releases the ball with his foot still planted on the rubber. Capps just takes it to a new level.

Which makes zero sense to me, but there it is. It's one thing that all pitchers extend forward, pushing off (and losing contact with) the rubber before releasing the ball. This guy leaps two plus feet forward. It makes a mockery of the rule and for MLB to give it the "a-ok" is total BS.

A LEGAL DELIVERY

As for the delivery, Major League Baseball has deemed it legal and Capps can go on using it. After all, no pitcher releases the ball with his foot still planted on the rubber. Capps just takes it to a new level.

Which makes zero sense to me, but there it is. It's one thing that all pitchers extend forward, pushing off (and losing contact with) the rubber before releasing the ball. This guy leaps two plus feet forward. It makes a mockery of the rule and for MLB to give it the "a-ok" is total BS.

But if you read that closely, the problem becomes apparent. As it clearly states, no pitcher pitching from the stretch has their back foot on the rubber at the release of the ball. So if they were to call a balk on Capps for that reason, then no pitcher would ever be able to pitch from the stretch. So they either unfairly call it on every pitch from the stretch, or they unfairly only call it on Capps. 

I read elsewhere tht they said his move is legal ONLY if he drags his back foot. If it leaves the ground, then they would call a balk. 

It's really odd, I'll say that. It's a unique loophole situation, and I don't see how MLB could have ruled any differently. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

This reminds me of the NBA ca. 1970 deciding not to call travelling, fouls and stepping off on the pivot foot.

But why didn't you feel that way when every other pitcher pitching from the stretch wasn't getting called for balking when their back foot left the rubber before the ball left their hand? 

Ok, he's lunging and then beginning his forward delivery, not lunging while in the process of forward delivery. Kinf of a NFL-y fumble or incomplete forward pass thing going on.

If that's legal now, it shouldn't be past this season...or even during this one, if they can change rules in the middle of a season.

Since they already declared it a legal pitch, the decision would likely cost you your job. Or at least a sizable chunk of change the first time around. 

If you're an umpire, you'd probably be well served to call the game the way your employers tell you to. Or keep a copy of your resume handy. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Have they declared what he does legal or are they just letting it go? It will be interesting to see what happens if another team files a protest. I bet that will happen. 

yes, they have declared it legal. 

"According to MLB.com, the delivery is fine as long as Capps moves laterally and drags his back foot rather than jumping straight up." 

http://www.businessinsider.com/carper-capps-pitching-motion-2015-4

Also, as I mentioned before: "The problem is that everyone violates the first part of this rule. Every pitcher's foot comes off the rubber before actually releasing the ball, so it's a rule that is pretty much just ignored."

Paul, according to the article GA linked and I quoted from, MLB has determined that this pitcher is pitching within the rules.

What I don't get is how this delivery was tolerated in the minors (though the article mentioned one or two times that minor league umps called 'illegal pitch') and no one ever forced him to adhere to the rules the way other pitchers do:  Push off the rubber  and if your foot is 18 inches from the rubber when you actually release it, fine.

This guy's foot is about 60 inches from the rubber when he lets it go.