Vinyl obsessives - in pictures

BillF

A minor point but what struck me about the picture above is the typical look of the spines in his record racks. Looks very much like a 70s (and post-70s) album collection. Those albums where the colors/artwork runs right across the spine from the front to the back cover (often as part of gatefold covers), and all this in typical 70s U.S. pressing cardboard covers that got ring-worn, dinged and flaky round the edges pretty fast. I remember a lot of the (comparatively modest) record collections of my 70s buddies (who were into the then-current bands) looked just as colorful but also just as dinged, worn and flaking as this one - even back then.

Quite a difference to the 50s/60s albums (or reissues) where the spines usually are white and the arrays of album spines provide a quite different look.

He has a whole house in acouple of miles away from me just for his collection - I'm still awaiting an invite!

Uh oh ....

So whenever the better half of any of you starts complaining about all them records taking up all that wall space then go ahead and show them the above statement as well as the page linked initially - just to prove once and for all you "could be doing much, much worse and much, much more obsessively!" :D

He has a whole house in acouple of miles away from me just for his collection - I'm still awaiting an invite!

Uh oh ....

So whenever the better half of any of you starts complaining about all them records taking up all that wall space then go ahead and show them the above statement as well as the page linked initially - just to prove once and for all you "could be doing much, much worse and much, much more obsessively!" :D

I'm sure I would hear back that I could have a whole house for records if I wanted to live by myself... ;)

Years ago I used to buy records from a hoarder/collector who lived in a house literally full of records. Between piles and boxes of records were narrow pathways to the kitchen or bathroom, etc. Needless to say he was not married!

While on the topic of vinyl obsessives - a few days ago I met a local jazz collector who as recently as 7 years ago bought records from a former record exec and was getting some major heavy blue notes for like $13 each. Like $13 for BLP1550, etc. Then I see his copy of Joe Harriott's "movement" on lansdowne. Holding it in my hand I ask what did you pay for this? "Oh $5 because the record exec didn't like it so much"!

I was just a tad jealous :0

Oh, I love Gilles' work/efforts, and lord knows I love EW&F, but the notion of him holding an EXTREMELY common EW&F album (I mean, who doesn't have it who wants it? Fifty Megabajillion copies sold!) for a photo about obsessive vinyl collectors strikes me as more than a little of an inside joke that he might well be having with the situation. I think it's funny as hell!

Oh, I love Gilles' work/efforts, and lord knows I love EW&F, but the notion of him holding an EXTREMELY common EW&F album (I mean, who doesn't have it who wants it? Fifty Megabajillion copies sold!) for a photo about obsessive vinyl collectors strikes me as more than a little of an inside joke that he might well be having with the situation. I think it's funny as hell!

Indeed ... just thinking of it one really couldn't disagree with you ...

There must be hundreds of records that an obsessive hoarder must own and KNOW that thousands of savvy collectors out there would be frothing at their mouths if he held one of THOSE in front of the camera ... :g

Edited by Big Beat Steve

or....he just grabbed the nearest one. Over-thinking can hurt :)

Sure, anyhting is possible.

But let's picture this for a second:

There goes that guy thinking "Hey, me and my huuuuuge colection, they want to take a picture of me in front of my collection showing a sample of my huuuuuge, unique, extraordinary collection.... So what do I pick to hold in front of that camera?" ;) Dou you realy think he couldn't care less about the record he chooses to pull out? When STAGING this pic for everyone to see?

Would that be likely?

So I don't find it totally unlikely that JSangrey's hunch is right with this being a sort of put-on. ;)