Larry young In Paris

danasgoodstuff

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these are nice as well. It is too bad they are "Record Store Day" teasers, at least in the early iteration. The Wes sides from 2014 worked the same way - a couple EPs which a) were not available in my stores locally and b) then quickly went to ebay at silly prices - and the CD follows a year next (April 2015). I will pass on the EPs and wait for the CDs later this year or in 2016.

Resonance is busy on Record Store Day. There's also:

Coming April 18th for Record Store Day from Resonance Records.

An exclusive sampling of music from the forthcoming full-length album, "Getz/Gilberto '76" (which will be released sometime in 2015/2016...or as soon as we can get the job done right!). Live recordings from Keystone Korner (one only a few times Stan & Joao collaborated in the 1970's).

Limited edition 10" record on 140 gram GREEN vinyl (yellow label of course!) pressed at 33 1/3 by Erika Records. We're only making 1500 for the world. Call your favorite record store now to let them know if you're interested. Our distributors are listed below (thanks)!

Tracks:
Side A:
E Preciso Perdoar (One Must Forgive),
Doralice,

Side B:
Eu Vim da Bahia,
Retrato Em Branco E Preto.

Along with Stan Getz, the recording features Joanne Brackeen on piano, Clint Houston on bass, Billy Hart on drums, with Joao Gilberto on vocals for every track.

And more Wes Montgomery:

Coming on April 18th for Record Store Day - Wes Montgomery “One Night In Indy (featuring The Eddie Higgins Trio)”. This Limited Edition 12" LP unites Wes Montgomery with legendary jazz pianist Eddie Higgins and his trio in 1959 at the Indianapolis Jazz Club in Indiana. None of these recordings have been issued before!

Limited Edition pressing (only 2500) on 180 gram vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM by Erika Records and includes over 40 min of music. The original tapes formerly belonged to the late-great Indiana photo journalist, Duncan Schiedt. Cover designed by Burton Yount. This music will be featured on an upcoming 2016/2017 Resonance Records release!

Side A:
Give Me the Simple Life
Prelude to A Kiss
Stompin’ at the Savoy

Side B:
Li’l Darling
Ruby My Dear
You’d Be So Nice to Come Home to

Featuring: Wes Montgomery – guitar, Eddie Higgins – piano, (unknown bassist), Walter Perkins - drums

Edited by kh1958

Great news ... but those promo 10" I don't quite get ... they're purely for collectors but don't contain anything that's not on the full release, right? I first noticed them doing that for the recent Charles Lloyd release (which I don't have yet).

The other Montgomery ("In the Beginning") is out over here already - I guess it's very much worth it for Montgomery himself, though I have to confess I don't like his brothers all that very much. The sax player (Alonzo "Pookie" Johnson) isn't bad, but all in all, it's Wes who shines (and outshines his surroundings, but then I feel that way on the other Montgomery Bros. albums as well, so your mileage may vary).

I'll like it better if he's playing organ on all or most of it.

You didn't get the memo? -- It's actually Larry Young Mimes in Paris.

Sadly (?) the video was lost.

But seriously...All the Young on record from Paris has been on piano. That, and he played piano on Woody's BN demo date.

I noticed this wording, which to me seemed to be a bit of an advance CYOA:

And yet another discovery, from the National Audiovisual Institute (INA) in France which includes the Office of Radio and Television (ORTF) archives, Resonance presents Selections from Larry Young In Paris - The ORTF Recordings, featuring never-before-released 1964- 1965 live and studio recordings from American jazz organist & pianist, Larry Young.

and then this:

...(Nathan Davis Quartet recordings are included in this release)

...which I think is likely(?) going to be piano.

I mean, I'm in no matter what. It's just that I see "unreleased Larry Young" and my gut gets all fluttery thinking organ, and...it ain't necessarily so. But if it is, so much the better!

I don't think I've ever knowingly heard Larry Young's piano playing.

He plays piano (no organ at all) on Nathan Davis' "Happy Girl" (SABA/MPS) - recorded in Germany Jan 65

Woody Shaw plays on two titles (quintet), the remainder are quartet with LY on piano - I suspect this will be the lineup for the Nathan Davis Quartet material referred to

He also plays piano on two early Woody Shaw Muse titles (Dec 65) "Cassandrite" & "Obsequious" - these were originally recorded for Blue Note but not released by the label

I don't think I've ever knowingly heard Larry Young's piano playing.

He plays piano (no organ at all) on Nathan Davis' "Happy Girl" (SABA/MPS) - recorded in Germany Jan 65

Woody Shaw plays on two titles (quintet), the remainder are quartet with LY on piano - I suspect this will be the lineup for the Nathan Davis Quartet material referred to

He also plays piano on two early Woody Shaw Muse titles (Dec 65) "Cassandrite" & "Obsequious" - these were originally recorded for Blue Note but not released by the label Thanks rom. I haven't heard any of this stuff. I'll remember this. Are you sure it isn't John Patton?

That's an Iron City joke.

Edited by .:.impossible