Sylvia Telles

felser

So I was listening to the Jobim compositions compilation disc on the "Easy Introduction to Jazz - Bossa Nova" 9 CD box, and a singer named Sylvia Telles kept jumping out at me. New name for me, looked her up, she was apparently a big deal in Brazil in the 50's-60's before dying of a car accident at 32 years old in 1966. Amazing voice, much riper than the bossa nova singers I've heard before. Anyone familiar with her? Any recommendations of what to get by her? Are the later albums with English lyrics good?

I highly recommend this one where and when you can find it:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/739818

Other than this I have a few songs here and there, this is the meat and potatos of what I've heard.

Thanks Lon, appreciate the recommendation. That album is available as half of this, which I will look to get when I can find it at a reasonable price point:

51Wcg6rSKkL._SX425_.jpg

It's been awhile since she was on my radar, but I think I've owned or heard almost all of her work. A quick search brought up this thread, where I listed some of the CD's available at the time:

Of course, Youtube is an easy way to sample her work (there are a few actual videos of her performing, before her untimely death). https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sylvia+telles

By the way, when doing searches, keep in mind that the spelling of her first name varied (Sylvia, Silvia, Sylvinha, etc).

Edited by Jim R