Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark Stryker

Orrin Keepnews, RIP

88 posts in this topic

A full and worthwhile life jazzwise. Don't know anything about his personals. Thankful for the music he helped foster and preserve. RIP.

A full and worthwhile life jazzwise. Don't know anything about his personals. Thankful for the music he helped foster and preserve. RIP.

Seconded

RIP, sir!!!

A great servant to the music. I'll spin a few Riversides tomorrow. RIP.

Grumpy old pain ... r.i.p. and thanks much, very very much indeed, for all the music!

It's too bad that he never got around to writing an autobiography. Thank you for your contributions, Mr. Keepnews, and rest in peace.

I have a lot of Orrin Keepnews produced recordings in my collection, from Riverside to Milestone to Landmark, by every one from Thelonious Monk to Wesla Whitfield. He was a presence here in the SF Bay Area jazz scene and I saw him at a few concerts -- sometimes to introduce the evening's performer, sometimes just as an audience member.

He will be missed. May he rest in eternal peace.

Indeed, RIP.

He was a regular presence at Bay Area concerts in the '70s and '80s, including at least one where I was playing. Delightful guy to chat with. RIP, Mr. Keepnews.

Edited by BeBop

RIP. Other than Sonny, was he the last of the '50s' towering figures left?

Guess it depends on how you define "towering". Jimmy Heath, Kenny Burrell, Bill Holman, Dave Pell, Jon Hendricks and Annie Ross are still alive and kicking

Guess it depends on how you define "towering". Jimmy Heath, Kenny Burrell, Bill Holman, Dave Pell, Jon Hendricks and Annie Ross are still alive and kicking

Also Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, and Paul Bley, though their influence was probably more felt in the 60's.

Like every great producer, he did some things his way, which was different fom what several others would have wanted, but that's the mark of a great producer. He did a lot for many musicians and made an awful lot of music available to us. I am deeply grateful for his legacy.

R.I.P. - you will meet a lot of old acquaintances up there!

RIP Orrin, thank you for your contributions with Monk, Wes, Sonny, Joe Henderson, Blue Mitchell, and so many more.

That's a good list, Duane.

RIP Orin was a producer with a vision.

RIP. I've seen him around over the years, too.

This is a wonderful collection - and a tribute to some of the artists that he promoted.

MI0000150456.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

So long to someone who made a lot of transitory music permanent for us to enjoy.