Sonos, anyone here have this or think of getting one?

Hardbopjazz

Those are the words of Don Was, The President of Blue Note Records and there is no better way to celebrate the fidelity of Blue Note’s catalogue of the finest jazz than by playing them through the new and exclusive Sonos Blue Note speakers. Launched today, Sonos are introducing their first ever limited edition speaker that celebrates more than 75 years of the finest in jazz with a custom design and access to exclusive playlists.

The Sonos PLAY:1 Blue Note Limited Edition is available for purchase at Sonos.com and will enable the great sound of Blue Note to fill your home. As Don Was says, “Music is meant to convey an emotional message to the listener. You don’t want anything interfering with that message and Sonos shares Blue Note’s dedication to this.”

sonos-2.jpg

Crafted with a custom color developed through hand-painting techniques and strategic use of robots, the speaker’s finish features a vertical fade from dark navy to cerulean blue, reflecting the deep bass to the richly detailed highs and lows that people know and love about the PLAY:1. With two custom-designed drivers and dedicated amps, the Blue Note PLAY:1 delivers sound with such precision, you will feel the nuances that define jazz. And with such simple set-up you’ll be streaming your music in no time.

Available exclusively on the Blue Note PLAY:1, listen vinyl-style to handpicked selections from the greats like Robert Glasper, Jose James, Terence Blanchard, Ambrose Akinmusire, Lionel Loueke, and Don Was himself, who has curated 125 of his personal favourites.
Born in Blue: We bring together legendary Blue Note artists and those who have sampled them for mixes that celebrate the intersection of modern music and legendary jazz.
Blue Note 101: Starting with the inception of Blue Note and following its progression to becoming an iconic label, listen and learn about jazz and its evolution over more than 75 years.

The Blue Note PLAY:1 will be sold exclusively on Sonos.com for $250, $280 CAD, €250, and £220, while quantities last. Sonos have only made about 4,100 and expect them to sell quickly. For more go to Sonos.com

I bought one, primarily because I am an idiot.

If you want a stand-alone speaker, say for an office, I think the way to go is something Bluetooth-enabled. There are a bunch of them out there - I own a couple and we use them at home. Price point: $100 or less.

The Sonos speaker is either wireless or their proprietary network. So some pluses and minuses vis-a-vis a Bluetooth speaker.

I will fully admit that I bought this because I thought it looked kind of cool. I am also hoping/expecting that it will sound decent. The Blue Note tie-in was not a particular draw. Basically I had a little extra spare cash and wanted to check this out.

I have 2 Sonos Connects, but no Sonos speakers. I like the Sonos Connect because it allows me to connect a NAS (Network Attached Storage device) full of music files to my old-fashioned stereo, and then select the music I want to play from my ipad using the Sonos app.

Edited by Peter

I have 2 Sonos Connects, but no Sonos speakers. I like the Sonos Connect because it allows me to connect a NAS (Network Attached Storage device) full of music files to my old-fashioned stereo, and then select the music I want to play from my ipad using the Sonos app.

Huh, did not know you could do that. Would you mind providing particulars on your NAS? What software do you use to edit song titles, artwork, etc. on your NAS? I presume there is a Sonos app for the iphone? Thanks

Edited by Eric

I have had Sonos systems for years (a few connects, Sonos Controller, Bridge, S5 (now Play:5) etc). Obviously, the hi rez and 65K limit is a bummer to me given my very large collection and interest in audio. That being said, it is awesome and has increased my enjoyment of music quite significantly (and my wife loves it so that's a nice plus). Of course, it is not inexpensive. To answer the question about the BN branded PLAY:1, I did not buy it because I have no use for it and further, I see it as a cash grab. Regardless, I have a couple of friends that have one and are mightily impressed with the sound from such a small device.

PS I would "like" Peter's post above if we had that option.

Edited by Jay

I have had Sonos systems for years (a few connects, Sonos Controller, Bridge, S5 (now Play:5) etc). Obviously, the hi rez and 65K limit is a bummer to me given my very large collection and interest in audio. That being said, it is awesome and has increased my enjoyment of music quite significantly (and my wife loves it so that's a nice plus). Of course, it is not inexpensive. To answer the question about the BN branded PLAY:1, I did not buy it because I have no use for it and further, I see it as a cash grab. Regardless, I have a couple of friends that have one and are mightily impressed with the sound from such a small device.

PS I would "like" Peter's post above if we had that option.

Put me down for a "like" as well :)

Eric, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Sonos actually works. I have some questions if you don't mind answering.

1. So if I were to get a Sonos 5, I could have music playing in five different rooms? Or is there a limitation?

2. I see that you can stream from an iDevice, which is how I'd run it. BUT, would I be able to also integrate it with my main system? In other words, I have my main system in my living room, so could I play music through that as well as through the Sonos system! That way I'd have music playing, for example, in the living room/kitchen/dining room/bedrooms/etc?

If it's an either/or deal it might not be for me. And their website doesn't really answer that question.

3. can you add more single units later on if you want to?

Thanks, David!

I'll have to read up on that later. I already stream my music through Apple TV, so I'll have to see if that particular item is redundant.

In my case I may need to stream to Sonos, yet have it fully integrated with my main system. (?)

Or pehaps the other way around, but I'm not seeing anything that would make that possible...

I think this is the thing you need to stream to your existing hi-fi. If I decide to merge my CD and streaming listening, this is the way I will go.

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/sonos-shop/products/connect

I have all my music on iTunes and use an Apple Airport Express to stream to my stereo(s) (one for each stereo). I have had this setup for 3-4 years and it works very well. I have both Spotify and Tidal on my iPhone and can stream both of them through the Airport Express. At $99 each, this might be something worth checking out.

Obviously, the hi rez and 65K limit is a bummer to me

It always sucks when your audio gear cannot play sounds that you cannot hear anyway. :(

I think Jay is talking about the well-documented issue that Sonos systems have with the size of your music library, not the wavelength of frequencies the speakers it can play. Apparently, Sonos systems are hardcoded to limit your music library to 65,000 songs. This arbitrary (and in my case, probably actually limiting) music library has always prevented me from even trying out Sonos systems. I'm just hoping that my old Squeezebox Touch never dies.

I think this is the thing you need to stream to your existing hi-fi. If I decide to merge my CD and streaming listening, this is the way I will go.

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/sonos-shop/products/connect

I have all my music on iTunes and use an Apple Airport Express to stream to my stereo(s) (one for each stereo). I have had this setup for 3-4 years and it works very well. I have both Spotify and Tidal on my iPhone and can stream both of them through the Airport Express. At $99 each, this might be something worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip. That might be all I need. And I have a £50 Apple voucher...