Ornette Coleman - Beauty is a Rare Thing (2015)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. Did it a while ago, but yeah. Tried just one, went with the others because the sound was so good. Others knock this series but my system likes them.

I picked up "To whom keeps a record" in the recent "Japanese" 24bit edition. It shares 2 tracks with the 1988 issue of "The Art of the Improvisers" . The recent disc totally smokes the '88 disc by an uncomfortable margin. So I can see Lon's view point here. It would be a pity if this reissue of the box uses masterings which are over 25 yrs old IMO. If you get the new box report back here :)

I know. Did it a while ago, but yeah. Tried just one, went with the others because the sound was so good. Others knock this series but my system likes them.

I picked up "To whom keeps a record" in the recent "Japanese" 24bit edition. It shares 2 tracks with the 1988 issue of "The Art of the Improvisers" . The recent disc totally smokes the '88 disc by an uncomfortable margin. So I can see Lon's view point here. It would be a pity if this reissue of the box uses masterings which are over 25 yrs old IMO. If you get the new box report back here :)

Interesting take, Clunky.

While I would love to hear the 24 bit remasters, the one thing I will say (and I'm sure even you and Lon will at least nod in semi-agreement) is that the masters used for the original (current?) box set are some of the finest from that era.

I mean, OK, if it's a leap in sonics like the Deluxe Edition of A Love Supreme, then I can see it. What I can't see is that it would be such a gargantuan leap. The previous ALS master was really lacking. The previous Ornette masters were anything but.

What I'm trying unsuccessfully to say is that I wouldn't necessarily consider it a pity not to hear the 24 bit remasters. It would be nice, but what we already have is far more than sufficient.

I may buy this despite having original or early pressings of the Atlantics plus the Japanese "to whom keeps a record" LP...easy format for the car stereo.

Def! I have the box, all the original albums on CD, plus Ornette!, This Is Our Music, and Free Jazz (x2!) on LP.

Question: have the six tracks that at the time of original release were previously unreleased been released elsewhere since? (i made a mouthful of that sorry). According to Wikipedia they were:

"The Tribes of New York"

"Rise and Shine"

"Mr. and Mrs. People"

"I Heard It Over the Radio"

"Revolving Doors"

"Proof Readers"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_Is_a_Rare_Thing

I have everything else from the set on disc but am considering picking up the box for many of the reasons people above have mentioned, but also for six whole new-to-me tracks!

Edited by xybert

Question: have the six tracks that at the time of original release were previously unreleased been released elsewhere since? (i made a mouthful of that sorry). According to Wikipedia they were:

"The Tribes of New York"

"Rise and Shine"

"Mr. and Mrs. People"

"Revolving Doors"

"Proof Readers"

I have everything else from the set on disc but am considering picking up the box for many of the reasons people above have mentioned, but also for six whole new-to-me tracks!

I have "Proof readers" as a bonus on one Ornette disc- forget which

"The Tribes of New York"

"Rise and Shine"

"Mr. and Mrs. People"

"Revolving Doors"

"Proof Readers"

I have "Proof readers" as a bonus on one Ornette disc- forget which Yeah forgot it's on Ornette! Edited by xybert

I have all the LPs, have the box for "back-up" ;) . ACtually, I wanted it for the chron order. I find that's often illuminating.

As are the original programs, but I no longer have the originals.

What I was trying to say was that the CDs goes by session date and pulls tracks from different albums or unreleased material and places them in chron order. Since I'm lazy, the CDs make that easier to follow. Or am i missing something?

IMO if you want to know how good The Shape Of Jazz To Come can sound in the digital domain try the ORG Music hybrid SACD mastered by Bernie Grundman. Seriously, I'll eat my shoes if these Japanese discs sound better.

I have that SACD. SACDs sound better than redbook cds, I haven't compared the redbook layers. But the Warner Japan cd sounds very very good imo.

Scott, all I can say is that I was surprised by the improved sonics, and decided they were significant enough for this important muisc to collect the Japanese cds. I think it's a larger improvement than you may think on my system and with my ears, but only your listening could define that for you. And nothing to worry about if you have the music, I just enjoy these comparisons and having improved sound.

Edited by jazzbo

Hmmm…that's certainly intriguing. But, I guess when it comes down to it, I'm very happy with the original masters. The clarity and depth was really a benchmark for the time period. Columbia's from that same time period sound inferior, IMO. (Time Out being a notable exception)

You're an Ornette completist, so I can see why they would be very significant for you. I'm good for the time being, but who knows what the future holds? I may get a wild hair someday, and it's nice to know what's out there. :)

Edited by Scott Dolan

Well, being Japanese cd issues. . . they're out there. And then not. Frustrating. I have been buying a lot of these releases because they are limited and they all sound better than other issues I have of the material on digital, especially better than Collectables releases. They released two of the very first lps I ever owned (Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet "Another Dimension"/Leo Wright "Blues Shout") which sound wonderful and really surprised me that they would be released early on in that series. Because I collect them I got all the Mingus and Coltrane off the bat and have been getting more as time goes by. This also allows me to give away other issues of the material to my jazz-loving brother and other jazz newbies.

Interesting. . .I find Atlantic recordings to sort of be all over the map in quality, and find Columbia releases to be of consistent (and imo better) quality generally during this time period.

Edited by jazzbo

I found the recent Japanese Atlantic remasters to be pumped up with white hot treble and loud (Mingus, Blakey/Monk, Lloyd). A lot of people like theirs pumped up like that. Joy of a Toy.

Perhaps the Ornette's are better than the other Japanese Atlantics?

Edited by erwbol