$750 LPs Are Hot Sellers at this store.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

HotSteamingPile.com, that's where I would instinctively look for ho hum 60s/70s/80s American rock and pop pressings offered at "audiophile-ridiculous" prices along with testimonial blather.

Invest $100-500 in a good DAC and you could be well on your way to that "quiet passage" part of analog-y nirvana. Click and pop cravings, I say try $2-10 flea market vinyl, craft beer and short rib tacos, and leopard print Jack Purcells.

I have a friend who's really into collecting Nigerian boogie records. I've heard some of that stuff from him and I really don't dig it at all, but what astonishes me is he's spent over $1000 on those albums. Apparently some are so rare that people spend like $250-300 per record, it's a bit much, I think.

I have a friend who's really into collecting Nigerian boogie records. I've heard some of that stuff from him and I really don't dig it at all, but what astonishes me is he's spent over $1000 on those albums. Apparently some are so rare that people spend like $250-300 per record, it's a bit much, I think.

I guess it depends on how much money you have and how much into it you are. Not for me, but I guess it's ok for some.

I guess it depends on how much money you have and how much into it you are. Not for me, but I guess it's ok for some.

Agreed with Paul - actually, it makes sense considering that there may be only one or two known copies of certain titles, and if one is a DJ, having a track that no one else has can make a set and a reputation. So it might not just be about paying through the nose for a rare record, but about one's livelihood as a DJ.

As for me, there's a limit - fairly high, but when a record starts regularly hitting $1000 and up, I can't join that crowd. Not to mention that rarity and fiscal outlay don't necessarily mean that the music will be "better" than it is elsewhere. Quite the opposite sometimes!

Agreed with Paul - actually, it makes sense considering that there may be only one or two known copies of certain titles, and if one is a DJ, having a track that no one else has can make a set and a reputation. So it might not just be about paying through the nose for a rare record, but about one's livelihood as a DJ.

As for me, there's a limit - fairly high, but when a record starts regularly hitting $1000 and up, I can't join that crowd. Not to mention that rarity and fiscal outlay don't necessarily mean that the music will be "better" than it is elsewhere. Quite the opposite sometimes!

Exactly, Clifford. Sometimes when you get something that's rare and the music isn't as you have hoped it's like oh man. I remember when I finally got those much sought after Jimmy Smith sessions only released in Japan (thankfully each CD was no more than $20 and no less than $15) I love them a lot and wouldn't part with them, but I could also see why maybe Alfred didn't release them, there was just so much high quality stuff JOS was doing at the time. My friend spent over a grand over the course of a year for his Nigerian boogie collection, he also has tons of juju, and other African music. He's not a DJ himself but comes from a family of them.

Yeah, I paid through the nose for the Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble years ago and wasn't into it. Sold it for a small profit at around $500 and both me and the buyer (in Japan) were happy with that. I don't think the Michael Cosmic LP is as good as the other two volumes in the series (similar personnel/artwork, Intex label) but at least with that, being a big fan of the Musra-Cosmic-Ertunç triumvirate and knowing Phil Musra personally, I feel connected in some way and don't feel like an ass for paying a lot of money.

Then again there are other records that have been fairly expensive that I have played quite often and love - the Marzette Watts on Savoy (maybe around a $250 record) is an example in that gets a lot of spins in my house and felt very much "worth it."

With those BNs, the LT series and the Japanese King records vary in quality - some of them are just wonderful, others are fairly so-so - but none of them are outright terrible at least. I was tempted to throw down a bill on Hutcherson's Inner Glow, for example, but our man David Weiss talked me out of it. :w

Edited by clifford_thornton