alankin

Very sorry to hear that. Saw him in 1978 in the Gil Evans Orchestra .....

Must have been around that time that I saw him perform with Evans in a Frankfurt club ...

I saw him in Feb 1978 with a 13 piece Evans orchestra (Ernie Royal, Hannibal Peterson, Pete Levin, John Clark, Dave Sanborn, Arthur Blythe, George Adams, Bob Stewart, Masambumi Kikuchi, Herb Bushler and Sue Evans). Perhaps you saw him with this smaller group in Oct 1978:

Gil-Evans-Little-Wing-532384.jpg

02%2BLittle%2BWing%2B-%2BB.jpg

Edited by BillF

With the Gil Evans Orchestra was the only time I ever saw him live I think and I agree, he was the dominant lead voice in that ensemble.

saw him with Gil Evans (i believe in 1984) joined in the trumpet section by Hannibal Marvin Peterson, resulting in some fierce still joyfull playing by both artists all evening long...

Edited by soulpope

Must have been around that time that I saw him perform with Evans in a Frankfurt club ...

I saw him in Feb 1978 with a 13 piece Evans orchestra (Ernie Royal, Hannibal Peterson, Pete Levin, John Clark, Dave Sanborn, Arthur Blythe, George Adams, Bob Stewart, Masambumi Kikuchi, Herb Bushler and Sue Evans). Perhaps you saw him with this smaller group in Oct 1978:

Yes that was the band! George Adams and Don Pate were late, so Pete Levin played bass on his MiniMoog until Pate was ready to plug in. Very loose gig, Evans tinkling along at the piano, while Soloff made numerous jokes and grimaces with the other horn players. But Gerry Niewood was the man of the evening, he played his heart out.

Thanks for bringing back the memories by posting that cover!

Yes that was the band! George Adams and Don Pate were late, so Pete Levin played bass on his MiniMoog until Pate was ready to plug in. Very loose gig, Evans tinkling along at the piano, while Soloff made numerous jokes and grimaces with the other horn players. But Gerry Niewood was the man of the evening, he played his heart out.

Thanks for bringing back the memories by posting that cover!

They seemed very loose too in the large Evans orchestra in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester, in contrast with far more disciplined outfits like the Basie New Testament band which I also saw there.

Similarly, you can hear an Evans band getting going bit by bit in various places on the Live at Sweet Basil sessions.

Edited by BillF

• 7 years later...