What's the answer?

The answer, as some others have noted, is 50.

There are some basic rules of arithmetic, also carried over into programming, whereby multiplication and division operations take place before sums and additions.

I'd parse it as follows:

7 + (7/7) + (7 x 7) - 7 = 7 + 1 + 49 - 7 = 50

There are some basic rules of arithmetic, also carried over into programming, whereby multiplication and division operations take place before sums and additions.

I'd parse it as follows:

That's how I came up with 50.

Every year it seems that this order of operations stuff crops up. The odd thing is that it turns out at least some software is not programmed with the proper order of operations (or it might lose track after 4 or 5 operations). I find it is an important reminder that you really ought to use brackets to ensure the program is doing what you intend it to do.

Not trying to argue that Excel is great math software, but if you poke it (or nearly any other software) there will be something that was programmed differently from the way a math professor would do it. In this case it has to do with exponentiation.

I found this an interesting (if long) exchange on the issue: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/69058.html

Basically, I would still argue that you ought to start throwing brackets around once you get past 3 or 4 terms and operations.

I'd parse it as follows:

I'd parse it as follows:

That's how I came up with 50.

jazztrain is perfectly correct.

This. By default, multiplications/divisions are always performed before additions/subtractions. If the intent is otherwise, group it accordingly. Otherwise, yes, 50.

You know, shit like this is open to interpretation, like, you know, WHO SAYS? THEY SAYS! and all that, but that's Art Math, Interpretational Equationality.

And that's cool, all kinds of non-traditional equations to get to alternate conclusions, but if you wanna get paid right and/or not fall out of that tree because you choose to interpret gravity before recognizing it, hey, learn how "they" do it. Cover that and THEN interpret.

333.jpg