Record Store Day 2015

mjzee

I had hoped to pick up a copy of the Larry Young from Dusty Groove from their website post RSD. Sadly I just missed the boat.

likewise, I received a "back in stock" email and went to order and poof it was gone

edit: there are a number of copies on ebay as low as $19.99 (I bit at that price)

search Larry Young RSD

Thanks Eric. I'll be thinking about it, the shipping charges for the UK from these vendors seems excessive compared to say Dusty Groove.

that Bobby Jones that Dan picked up is excellent, and I'm sure the rest of the haul was equally good. I have several Phineas LPs but not the one on Fantasy.

I agree 100% percent re: Jones' "Hill Country Suite." It's a gem.

Plus, how can you go wrong with a George Mraz & Freddie Waits rhythm section? :)

I'd not known about Jones until this post. Just listened to some of "Country Hill Suite" online. Interesting listen. Anyone care to comment on the Cobblestone release "The Arrival of Bobby Jones"

I've heard it before and thought it was pretty solid, but it's been years since I've listened to it and don't have a copy.

only RSD purchase was Amanaz. I already had the Shadoks boot from maybe ten years ago, but this contains an alternate mix and a detailed booklet. So I guess the Shadoks is up for grabs... sort of like the Zambian answer to the Stooges and the MC5.

I'd not known about Jones until this post. Just listened to some of "Country Hill Suite" online. Interesting listen. Anyone care to comment on the Cobblestone release "The Arrival of Bobby Jones"

It's O.K. Not on the same level as Hill Country Suite though. IMHO, of course. :)

Edited by HutchFan

I have "The Arrival of Bobby Jones," IIRC it's somewhat better than average, but that's about it for me.

I had it when it came out, wanted to like it more than I did, eventually dubbed one cut off of it that I DID like (the ballad, a Strayhorn dedication, I think?) to reel-to-reel, traded the album away, then he died and I went for decades thinking' oh, ok, Bobby Jones, he was a player all right, and that was about it,

Then a while back, somebody said, you know, you really SHOULD check out Hill Country Suite, so, ok, finally got around to it, heard something truly personal there, and finally got around to rebuying the Cobblestone LP (for not a lot at all) not really to listen to, but to have as a document of somebody who was around a long time more or less as a faceless almost a name, then got a break for a quick minute, then went back into the shadows with only a little more face and a little more name, because, I like to have documents of people like that handy, just in case somebody's over and we get to talking about things like that. people who were there but not "noticeably" "there", if you know what I mean, I like to have documents to back up, or at least break up, my ramblings.

Tell you what - there was a good story about Bobby Jones in DB from that quick minute when he was "there", and it tells a lot. But I never really felt like I got how/why he was there, with Mingus, until I read that book of Mingus interviews with further post-then updatings that came out not too many years ago, the one where he talked to this one cat several times over the years. Then, finally, Bobby Jones came alive to me, and I finally felt like I "got" how it all fit together, which up until then, I certainly had not.

It's O.K. Not on the same level as Hill Country Suite though. IMHO, of course. :)

I had Arrival and have Hill Country. If I want to hear Bobby Jones, I'll listen to him with Mingus.