Record Store Day 2015

mjzee

Oh, ok.

brenton Wood - http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8056

it's a pretty weak album once you get past the two hits. Concord? Who's getting THIS write-off?

And really, bob Moses? http://www.dominorecordco.us/usa/news/12-02-15/bob-moses-all-in-all-compilation-available-april-21-watch-video-for-first-to-cry

Fuck these guys, get another name gottamn it, it's bad enough there was that other band called Air. Maybe they're good, I don't know, but fuck them for that name.

And really, bob Moses? http://www.dominorecordco.us/usa/news/12-02-15/bob-moses-all-in-all-compilation-available-april-21-watch-video-for-first-to-cry

Fuck these guys, get another name gottamn it, it's bad enough there was that other band called Air. Maybe they're good, I don't know, but fuck them for that name.

Reminiscent of this: http://cecilmcbee.jp/

At least they could've had the dignity to call themselves Lonesome Dragon, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts from other Record Day participants to my plan to actually visiting the two record stores in the area the weekend before?

I have no interest in the items that go on sale on the big day and don't want to fight crowds of middle-aged and older men, and at the same time I suspect that the stores would be loading up available stock in the racks in advance, so it's kind of an antique-show "early buying" opportunity. Of course they may not load up until the latter half of the week before but still ... easy parking and less of a wait for the listening stations sounds like a win-win to me.

I wouldn't go to the record store the weekend prior expecting too much out of the ordinary.

One can't buy RSD releases before RSD. Full stop. In the few days prior the used stock might get fleshed out a bit, and in that case you might get some good come ups, but in my experience (and as you surmise) the flood doesn't hit the bins until the night before and the "day of" is really when the most pulls happen.

Although I listen to all kinds of music, by and large my interest in RSD would be for jazz. In particular - this year - I would love to get a copy of the Wes Montgomery title. But - really don't want to go to the effort of calling around to my local used stores to see if they ordered it. And - having done this before - I really don't want to stand in line for an hour to "maybe" get a copy. But that is just me, middle-aged and semi-grumpy :P

I wouldn't go to the record store the weekend prior expecting too much out of the ordinary.

One can't buy RSD releases before RSD. Full stop. In the few days prior the used stock might get fleshed out a bit, and in that case you might get some good come ups, but in my experience (and as you surmise) the flood doesn't hit the bins until the night before and the "day of" is really when the most pulls happen.

Well that will suck (inventory-wise, I have no desire for any Record Store Day releases and will wait for the Wes CD to come out) but I'm still going next weekend, not two weekends from now. Reality is I haven't been to either store since my birthday vinyl safari in September so it's plenty of time for some churn in the stacks.

Well that will suck (inventory-wise, I have no desire for any Record Store Day releases and will wait for the Wes CD to come out) but I'm still going next weekend, not two weekends from now. Reality is I haven't been to either store since my birthday vinyl safari in September so it's plenty of time for some churn in the stacks.

I've actually thought again about that Wes/Eddie Higgins release. I think I'll inquire at the two local stores if they ordered and the price, and should I finish shopping next weekend with sufficient funds left over (did I mention that Universal P&C is funding this safari, four $25 gift cards I've held onto for this occasion?) I may go out on the big day just to pick up the LP on Universal's dime, then offer it here or on eBay to recoup the expense, after I've listened once and transferred to digital.

• 2 weeks later...

Well for whatever it's worth, here's my 2015 Personal Record Store Day haul from Sunday:

On The Trail (PAUSA) - one of those Colorado Jazz Party releases, this one has Clark Terry all over it along with Zoot, Flip Phillips, Sweets, Victor Feldman, Kai Winding

Bobby Jones, Hill Country Suite (Enja)

Louie Bellson, Prime Time (Concord) w. Blue Mitchell

Jimmy McGriff, Steppin Up & Blue to the 'Bone (both Milestone, the former with Hank Crawford the latter with Al Grey)

Phineas Newborn Jr, Back Home (Fantasy) I have the earlier album with Ray Brown and Elvin didn't even know about this one

Kenny Drew Trio, Ruby My Dear (Steeplechase)

Dwight Dickerson Trio, Sooner or Later (Trend)

Herman Foster Trio, The One and Only (Timeless) This one made me think of MG, I had to go for it ...

George Coleman & Tete Montoliu, Meditation (Muse)

Pee Wee Crayton, Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies (Blues Spectrum) When I saw this I immediately thought "cheap comp of his '50s stuff" but then I realized it must be a Johnny Otis production/label because Johnny and Shuggie are on it along with Gene "Mighty Flea" Connors and Clifford Solomon. So that would make it a late '60s/early '70s recording and that makes me wonder about the rest of this series which apparently included volumes with Louis Jordan, Charles Brown, Johnny Otis, Joe Turner and Joe Liggins.

Lowdown Memphis Harmonica Jam 1950-'55 (Nighthawk)

And with no crowds, I had all the time in the world at the listening station to sample to my heart's desire. :P

Reminiscent of this: http://cecilmcbee.jp/

At least they could've had the dignity to call themselves Lonesome Dragon, right?

Or Rakalam!

Any thoughts from other Record Day participants to my plan to actually visiting the two record stores in the area the weekend before?

I have no interest in the items that go on sale on the big day and don't want to fight crowds of middle-aged and older men, and at the same time I suspect that the stores would be loading up available stock in the racks in advance, so it's kind of an antique-show "early buying" opportunity. Of course they may not load up until the latter half of the week before but still ... easy parking and less of a wait for the listening stations sounds like a win-win to me.

In my experience, RSD orders arrive Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. We stocked Friday night after closing.

that Bobby Jones that Dan picked up is excellent, and I'm sure the rest of the haul was equally good. I have several Phineas LPs but not the one on Fantasy.

I agree 100% percent re: Jones' "Hill Country Suite." It's a gem.

Plus, how can you go wrong with a George Mraz & Freddie Waits rhythm section? :)

Edited by HutchFan

I had hoped to pick up a copy of the Larry Young from Dusty Groove from their website post RSD. Sadly I just missed the boat.

likewise, I received a "back in stock" email and went to order and poof it was gone

edit: there are a number of copies on ebay as low as $19.99 (I bit at that price)

search Larry Young RSD

Edited by Eric

that Bobby Jones that Dan picked up is excellent, and I'm sure the rest of the haul was equally good. I have several Phineas LPs but not the one on Fantasy.

I agree 100% percent re: Jones' "Hill Country Suite." It's a gem.

Plus, how can you go wrong with a George Mraz & Freddie Waits rhythm section? :)

I'd not known about Jones until this post. Just listened to some of "Country Hill Suite" online. Interesting listen. Anyone care to comment on the Cobblestone release "The Arrival of Bobby Jones"

Edited by mjazzg