Your Favorite Bird Live Recording

paul secor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the live stuff from 1945-1950 has Bird flying at his peak. All of it is incredible. I can't choose.

Bird at St Nick's has been a favorite of mine for 50 years. The tracks from the Three Deuces and The Onyx in the Mosaic box with Dean Benedetti recordings are just out of sight. Then there's Bird in France (Paris & Roubaix).... And what about Town Hall, 1945....

Since just picking one Bird live recording is cruelly impossible, I'm going to cheat a little, with explanations:

For the quality of Bird's improvisations, Bird at St. Nick's;

For the historical aspects - the early flowering of a new style - and the interaction with Gillespie, Town Hall, June 22, 1945;

For a more expansive view of the scope of a genius, the Billy Berg recordings from the Dean Benedetti Mosaic set.

Oh, wait, there's the JATP concert with "Lady Be Good"..... This is really cruel, Paul.

Since just picking one Bird live recording is cruelly impossible, I'm going to cheat a little, with explanations:

For the quality of Bird's improvisations, Bird at St. Nick's;

For the historical aspects - the early flowering of a new style - and the interaction with Gillespie, Town Hall, June 22, 1945;

For a more expansive view of the scope of a genius, the Billy Berg recordings from the Dean Benedetti Mosaic set.

Oh, wait, there's the JATP concert with "Lady Be Good"..... This is really cruel, Paul.

I just figured that, sooner or later, most of the great live Bird recordings would be posted, even if it were limited to one per party.