Free jazz that swings

Deepak

I did a search through Google and couldn't find any threads on this. I'm looking for some free jazz that "swings". I realize this is subjective, but I have an open mind and will go with your interpretation.

Some examples for me that swing- Air's Air Time, Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz, This Is Our Music, Don Cherry's Complete Communion. Julius Hemphill Dogon AD, Horace Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened, Sonny Rollins East Broadway Run Down. These are just some off the top of my head.

Thumbs up to Homefromtheforest for giving me the idea to start this thread :tup (from discussion on another site).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of dutch jazz: ICP Orchestra, Clusone 3, Available Jelly, Eric Boeren 4tet, Tobias Delius 4tet, Sean Bergin's Mob, Ab Baars Trio

From Chicago: Jason Adasiewicz's Sunrooms, Mike Reed's People Places & Things and Loose Assembly, Jason Stein Quartet, Rempis Daisy Duo, Nick Mazzarella Trio, Josh Berman's Gang

Roscoe Mitchell & The Note Factory

Mal Waldron Quartet/Quintet, both the 70s iteration with Lacy & Schoof, and the 80s groups with Rouse & Shaw or Jim Pepper

Max Roach groups with Bridgewater & Harper

Myra Melford's Trio, Extended Ensemble, Crush, The Same River Twice

Gerry Hemingway Quintet

Steve Lacy Trio & Quartet

Jemeel Moondoc small groups & Jus Grew Orchestra

Nu Band

Thomas Borgmann Trio

Thomas Chapin Trio

Jim Hobbs' Fully Celebrated Orchestra

Roy Campbell Pyramid

David Murray Octet & Quartets

Marty Ehrlich's Rites Quartet

Nate Wooley Quintet

So many more. I hasten to label this music "free jazz" AFAIC anyone who appreciates any kind of modern jazz could enjoy this music-- it holds all the same properties.

For pure groove based (rather than saying "swinging" since well you know the rathole that discussion can go down) free jazz, the above recommendation for Exploding Customer's first release hits my sweet spot as well

For me, here are some recordings that demand to be heard:

AALY Trio + Ken Vandermark: Live @ The Glenn Miller Cafe

Any DKV trio discs - Live in Wels/Chicago and/or Trigonomtry - then if you love the band - either of the recent box sets on not two records

Clusone Trio: I am an Indian

Trio 3: Live in Willisau (1992) still the finest recording from Lake, Workman & Cyrille

David Murray Octet: Ming - powered by the great Steve McCall

BassDrumBone: March of Dimes

Gerry Hemingway Quintet: Special Detail - I chose the earliest hatART recording as it is the most rambunctious and teetering on madness.

William Parker Quartet: O'Neal's Porch - or go directly to the fairly recent 8 CD Wood Flute Songs box which captures the same quintet down the road by 5 to 10 years in various live performances augmented by more musicians on 4 of the 8 discs. Worth way more than the $60 or so it takes to buy it.

Edited by Steve Reynolds