Discovering Jazz - Any suggestions?

DASJAZZ

Greetings,

Years ago I heard Little Fox Run by Joseph Jarman. I was surprised on how hooked I had become to Jarman as that song has been a earworm since. My discovery of Joseph Jarman influenced me to do some exploring. The Jazz I really can sink my teeth into comes from the sounds of Joseph Jarman, Miles Davis, Marion Brown, Frank Wright and Sonny Rollins... for a short list anyhow.

With that short list in mind ,any suggestions regarding other Jazz artists I may be interested in?

- Thank You

Edited by DASJAZZ

good morning!

you are already up to a good start. i do'nt know how you got where you are. a good way to discover imo is branching out. go from what you like check out records from sidemen. records from the ones you like with other musicians. you may alredy have done that. so my suggestions may be nothing new to you but you seem to like sax and trumpet; so, from jarman and Don moye to the art ensemble of chicago to lester bowie and since you dig ' liitle fox run", Fed Anderson I think he composed the tune. miles to Coltrane to wayne shorter to tony willams, marion brown to anthony Braxtox, Benny maupin archie shepp frank wright to cecil taylor, and eddie jefferson sonny rollins to coleman hawkins to don cherry to Ornette coleman, thelonius monk....bud powell

and Charlie Parker.

Edited by uli

liste2pu8vy74dq9.jpg

My friends and I have collected all 200 LPs reviewed in this booklet as a basis!

Contents:

Introduction

Discographical Foreword

1 The Transition From Swing

2 Crystallisation: Bop

3 Further Explorations 1

4 The Cool Reaction And Beyond

5 Consolidation: Hard Bop

6 Further Explorations 2

7 The 'New Thing'

8 Thirdstream

Index

This booklet is still available second-hand.

Like the op, I pretty much started with free music and my tastes became broader the more I dug. Reading helps, for sure - not just books full of recommendations, but books about the music and the people who've made it - Litweiler's "The Freedom Principle" and "A Harmolodic Life," Nat Hentoff's writings on jazz, Valerie Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life," AB Spellman's "Black Music: Four Lives," Amiri Baraka's writings on Black Music in the '60s, Graham Lock's "Forces in Motion" (Braxton) and John Szwed's "Space is the Place" (Sun Ra), Larry Kart's "Jazz in Search of Itself," etc.

To me, learning about artists' lives and humanity has always served as the highest recommendation, sometimes before hearing much of their music.

Thank you for the suggestions everybody.

KH1958 - Thank You, I will check that out.

Uli - I mostly found the artists I listed through Youtube Jazz music exploration. Up until recently that was a functioning mode of casual discovery. Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I am going to have a listen to these guys.

Optatio - I am going to get a copy of that book. I am curious about the various artists listed in this book in regards to the transitioning sound. Some Jazz is a miss for me. I respect the talent of the musicians regardless of my level of interest. I will give it a spin. Thank You

Clifford Thornton - I never read about the Jazz artists I have been listening too. Although bringing it up has piqued my interest. I will look into your suggestions. Excellent suggestion, Thank you

Edited by DASJAZZ

liste2pu8vy74dq9.jpg

My friends and I have collected all 200 LPs reviewed in this booklet as a basis!

Contents:

Introduction

Discographical Foreword

3 Further Explorations 1

6 Further Explorations 2

7 The 'New Thing'

8 Thirdstream

Index

Good recommendation. As good a place to start as any - at least when it comes to post WW 2 jazz up to 1970.

I wish I could have seen one of these performances live! Unfortunately, that would have been impossible for me. Are they any current improv Jazz performers that go off like this? I would say any Avant-Garde Jazz but I may be putting myself in a box then. This talks to me like no othere genre I have been nestled in the past decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQv2TLGL2M

So many wonderful current jazz improvisors

No one quite like the Art Ensemble of Chicago but....

Where are you located? Many great musicians performing live as well.

I am located in San Jose, Ca. Forty miles south of San Francisco. Edited by DASJAZZ

So many wonderful current jazz improvisors

No one quite like the Art Ensemble of Chicago but....

Where are you located? Many great musicians performing live as well.

I am located in San Jose, Ca. Forty miles south of San Francisco. I am sure there are some excellent musicians who perform in San Francisco. I'm from New Jersey so I'm NOT familiar with the performances in your area.

Edited adding NOT

Edited by Steve Reynolds

liste2pu8vy74dq9.jpg

Contents:

Introduction

Discographical Foreword

3 Further Explorations 1

6 Further Explorations 2

7 The 'New Thing'

8 Thirdstream

Index

Yes, it's a most useful book, not only for discovering music, but also for the senses of values it communicates.