Upcoming Impulse! reissues from Japan

Head Man

CDJapan has just issued the list of Impulse! reissues due out mid-May..

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?range.rel=2015-05-13%2C2015-05-20&page=1&opt.on_released=0&opt.on_preorder=0&term.release_month=&term.cat_id=UA-12

Most look like the usual suspects but if there's something missing in your collection then they're going for a very good price.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SHM remasters from 2011 were exceptional.

If Meditations uses the 2011 remaster this is a must own disc.

Some titles not issued in 2011 like Ascension, Africa Brass, Fire Music & Archie Shepp Live in San Francisco.

I will definitely get Ascension to see what masterings are used. The last time this was issued in Japan was, I believe, in 2005, UCCI-9124, currently my preferred version.

The SHM remasters from 2011 were exceptional.

If Meditations uses the 2011 remaster this is a must own disc.

I hope this new batch uses those SHM remasters. The SHM of Sun Ship is much, much finer (sonically) than the U.S. (complete) edition, in my opinion. The Japanese SHM remaster was somehow able to reduce/remove a lot of the digital glare present in the U.S. edition. The Japanese edition, of course, doesn't have all the extras, but it does — importantly — restore the Ed Michel edits. Those edits are essential (and musical) for people who grew up with that album on vinyl. (The edits, by the way, are the opposite of, say, a Dick Bock edit. They consist mainly of trimming sloppy Elvin Jones endings on certain tracks.)

For those who haven't heard them yet, do not sleep on the two Max Roach titles! If you like Andrew Hill's Lift Every Voice, then you'll probably like It's Time.

I agree with Ubu — I would love to have seen, say, Jewels of Thought (Sanders) and/or Streams (Rivers). I can't even remember when Sam Rivers (on Impulse!) was last reissued in Japan, or anywhere. Coltrane, Shepp, Ayler — they get the love, and Sam keeps waiting.

I presume "Yusef Lateef - Club Date" contains more music from his stint at Peps in 1968. Is it all new or has some/all the music already been released on Vols 1 & 2?

Update:

Looks like I aready have everything on "Club Date" on my two GRP CDs.....

Edited by Head Man

Damn, lost my post here ... was thinking of other Sanders albums mostly (Live at the East! but there are some more, and I missed that "Love" reissue ... of the Rivers, I've got the LPR reissue).

Brown, "Vista", is good news of course! Might also go for the McFarland, have a most battered original of it around, which can, I guess, indeed be considered unplayable.

But it's really time for "Streams" to be around - longer than two weeks and for less than 30$, please!

And yup, "Club Date" is more from "Live at Pep's" (I think it made up all of Vol. 2 of the old Impulse Master Edition and the bonus tracks of the initial GRP "Live at Pep's" reissue). Probably my favourite 'teef, all things considered - and *great* to hear Richard Williams stretching out!

What do experts think, is this again a case (like the recent Trio reissue series, where I missed out, alas!) where one needs to pre-order in order to get anything at all, or will these be around for a few months?

EDIT: not quite ... "Live at Pep's" on GRP had side one of "Club Date" in the middle (#4-6):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Pep%27s

side two of "Club Date":

http://www.discogs.com/Yusef-Lateef-Club-Date/release/369189

plus more (not sure where this might have been out previously or if at all, not at home right now) was on Vol. 2:

http://www.discogs.com/Yusef-Lateef-Live-At-Peps-Volume-Two/release/1594621

The list:

UCCI-9240 Africa Brass John Coltrane

UCCI-9241 New Thing at Newport John Coltrane

UCCI-9242 Ascension John Coltrane

UCCI-9243 Transition John Coltrane

UCCI-9244 Living Space John Coltrane

UCCI-9245 San Ship John Coltrane

UCCI-9246 First Meditation's +1 John Coltrane

UCCI-9247 Homme John Coltrane

UCCI-9248 Meditation's John Coltrane

UCCI-9249 Cosmic Music John Coltrane

UCCI-9250 Jupiter variations John Coltrane

UCCI-9251 Stellar Region's John Coltrane

UCCI-9252 Interstellar Space John Coltrane

UCCI-9253 Percussion Bitter Sweet Max Roach

UCCI-9254 Seoul trombone Curtis Fuller

UCCI-9255 It's time Max Roach

UCCI-9256 Inception McCoy Tyner

UCCI-9257 Reaching Force McCoy Tyner

UCCI-9258 Woman with a black saint and sin Charles Mingus

UCCI-9259 Point of departure Gary McFarland

UCCI-9260 Illuminating Nation! Elvin Jones & Jimmy Garrison

UCCI-9261 Till It The Way It Is Paul Gonsalves

UCCI-9262 The Great Roretsu Alexandria

UCCI-9263 Today, and Tomorrow McCoy Tyner

UCCI-9264 Continue blues of truth Oliver Nelson

UCCI-9265 Fire Music Archie Shepp

UCCI-9266 On impulse Sonny Rollins

UCCI-9267 Gypsy '66 Gabor Szabo

UCCI-9268 Let It Go Stanley Turrentine

UCCI-9269 Live in San Francisco Archie Shepp

UCCI-9270 Spell binder Gabor Szabo

UCCI-9271 Sound Pieces +2 Oliver Nelson

UCCI-9272 Waiting game Zoot Sims

UCCI-9273 Three Four Shepp Marion Brown

UCCI-9274 Girl Talk Shirley Scott

UCCI-9275 Sorcerer Gabor Szabo

UCCI-9276 The Magic Of Juju Archie Shepp

UCCI-9277 Greenwich Village of Albert Ayler Albert Ayler

UCCI-9278 Heavy Sounds Elvin Jones & Richard Davis

UCCI-9279 Rural Still Life Tom Scott

UCCI-9280 New Glass Albert Ayler

UCCI-9281 Kama Pharoah Sanders

UCCI-9282 Di Awakening Ahmad Jamal

UCCI-9283 Spirit Dance Michael White

UCCI-9284 Love of World Galaxy ~ supremacy Alice Coltrane

UCCI-9285 Attica Blues Archie Shepp

UCCI-9286 Chapter One Gato Barbieri

UCCI-9287 Love-in-Ass All Pharoah Sanders

UCCI-9288 Vista Marion Brown

UCCI-9289 Club Date Yusef Lateef

No Greek Cooking, again...

84d9e31d502f9d1aa63f4f67608d29a7.jpg

Edited by Alexandros

Veteran Groover - thanks for the full list

Vista is a great news, as the previous editon gone quite expensive. I was quite shock after founding that Harold Budd was involved and that Marion was playing on Budd's ambient-bliss "The Pavilon of Dreams".

Any other suggestions for the "non-obvious" albums (meaning other than Trane, Shepp, Szabo, Ayler)?

Veteran Groover - thanks for the full list

Vista is a great news, as the previous editon gone quite expensive. I was quite shock after founding that Harold Budd was involved and that Marion was playing on Budd's ambient-bliss "The Pavilon of Dreams".

Any other suggestions for the "non-obvious" albums (meaning other than Trane, Shepp, Szabo, Ayler)?

Alex is my name - "Veteran Groover" is my "grade" which is also shared by anybody here with similar posting activity as mine.. :-), and welcome.

I second your question too.

Alex

UCCI-9245 San Ship John Coltrane

UCCI-9247 Homme John Coltrane

UCCI-9260 Illuminating Nation! Elvin Jones & Jimmy Garrison

UCCI-9273 Three Four Shepp Marion Brown

UCCI-9280 New Glass Albert Ayler

Glad these are finally seeing the light of day. Some background information:

• UCCI 9245 - San Ship

Originally titled "San Juan Nepomuceno" in honor of the 18th century Spanish war ship (as Coltrane was a Battle of Trafalgar enthusiast), Bob Thiele later removed the reference, and opted for the generic "Ship." Coltrane politely insisted that at least the formal "San" remain.

• UCCI 9247 - Homme

Little known fact: Coltrane's popularity during the years 1965-67 was such that Impulse! corporate suits decided to cross-market fragrances with Coltrane's name attached. Homme was to be the first cologne bearing Coltrane's name and endorsement. When Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner discovered that no fragrances were being developed to promote their own personal brands, they left the band. Coltrane was shocked and depressed, and as a result cancelled his end of the product contract. Though the first 50 copies of Homme came with scratch-and-sniff samples, the fragrance was never officially released.

• UCCI 9260 - Illuminating Nation!

Jimmy Garrison was a longtime Nikola Tesla admirer. Wireless energy was certainly the way of the future, and with a wireless bass amp, Garrison might finally be heard in ensemble with Coltrane's band.

• UCCI 9273 - Three Four Shepp

Turns out that Marion Brown had never heard of Sam Shepard. Rather, the album is a discreet reference to Archie's love of Strauss.

• UCCI 9280 - New Glass

Ayler was one of the first to speak highly of the then little-known composer he called simply "Phil."