Upcoming Impulse! reissues from Japan

Head Man

UCCI9246.jpg

UCCI 9246 = UCCI 9205

Listening to this right now. If you're a fan of this album, or if you've had it in your cart at CD Japan, do not hesitate. Sound is much better than the 1992 GRP edition (probably no surprise, however).

Coltrane's horn is directly center in the soundstage, Tyner is far left, Garrison (can't always hear him, but this SHM-CD remaster is probably your best chance) is left of center, and Jones is right, sweeping into center with cymbals (not ride though).

Damn! Even though Coltrane is often a few steps away from the mike (usually for altissimo screams), the clarity is remarkable. The booklet doesn't even try to represent a new edition — it is the SHM-CD booklet. No English, except for the miniaturized facsimile of the original (ugly) back and front covers.

First Meditations sounds just as good as Meditations. Buy together for fun!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about First Meditations, thanks for posting. Very tempting.

If you know the session already, and like it, you will not be disappointed with this new edition. At 1000¥, and with a superior (SHM-CD) remaster, it's a bargain.

So far, I've been cherry-picking titles from this latest reissue batch that were previously SHM-CDs, and each title has — as I've posted above — used the SHM-CD remaster. Great way to get the music in excellent sound. Even better when you have CD Japan points stacked up. :tup

If you know the session already, and like it, you will not be disappointed with this new edition. At 1000¥, and with a superior (SHM-CD) remaster, it's a bargain.

So far, I've been cherry-picking titles from this latest reissue batch that were previously SHM-CDs, and each title has — as I've posted above — used the SHM-CD remaster. Great way to get the music in excellent sound. Even better when you have CD Japan points stacked up. :tup

Yeah I have the GRP version, there's a lot of room for improvement sound wise. When it was the only option, fine, but knowing this alternative is out there and for a reasonable price... i just placed my order. Also ordered Living Space (one i've wanted to get for ages) and Meditations (used to have it but traded it). I don't really have the money right now but fugg it: i always end up looking back and being thankful that past-me stretched his budget at the the time because current me really can't afford stuff now.

I should check out CD Japan at some stage. I use Amazon Japan whenever possible and have had nothing but good experiences. They have some sort of points system but not sure how it compares to the CD Japan one. For some reason, i guess partly geographical although it doesn't entirely add up, it's cheaper for me to get something couriered from Amazon Japan than it is to get something posted from Amazon US. It's cheaper, and items arrive mint at my workplace within 2-3 days of shipping rather than 4-6 weeks when posted from Amazon US. A no brainer, i wish i'd discovered them earlier. When pre-ordering, Amazon Japan also starts the process of debiting my bank account a few days earlier than the release date and then ship on the actual release date rather than starting the process a couple of days after the release date like Amazon US does for me. Sorry to go on but the contrast has just been astounding; again i wish that i'd discovered Amazon Japan and ditched Amazon US/UK earlier.

Edited by xybert

JPN-UCCI-9282_frontS.jpg

UCCI 9282 = UCCU 3057 (2006 edition)

Compressed. Loud.

m1337.gif

I don't really have the money right now but fugg it: I always end up looking back and being thankful that past-me stretched his budget at the the time because current me really can't afford stuff now.

Hey, that's my philosophy too! ^_^

And here's a handy visual aid for this series!

UCCI-9240_ybm_extralarge.jpg

JPN-UCCI-9282_frontS.jpg

Compressed. Loud.

m1337.gif

Hey, wasn't the awakening also part of the same 2011 SHM series as the Coltranes, and they still used an older mastering for this? That's unexpected. As a result, it's no longer in my shopping cart. Thank you.

UCCI 9227(SHM CD) Jamal,Ahmad(p)/The Awakening

Yeah I have the GRP version, there's a lot of room for improvement sound wise. When it was the only option, fine, but knowing this alternative is out there and for a reasonable price... i just placed my order. Also ordered Living Space (one i've wanted to get for ages) and Meditations (used to have it but traded it). I don't really have the money right now but fugg it: i always end up looking back and being thankful that past-me stretched his budget at the the time because current me really can't afford stuff now.

I should check out CD Japan at some stage. I use Amazon Japan whenever possible and have had nothing but good experiences. They have some sort of points system but not sure how it compares to the CD Japan one. For some reason, i guess partly geographical although it doesn't entirely add up, it's cheaper for me to get something couriered from Amazon Japan than it is to get something posted from Amazon US. It's cheaper, and items arrive mint at my workplace within 2-3 days of shipping rather than 4-6 weeks when posted from Amazon US. A no brainer, i wish i'd discovered them earlier. When pre-ordering, Amazon Japan also starts the process of debiting my bank account a few days earlier than the release date and then ship on the actual release date rather than starting the process a couple of days after the release date like Amazon US does for me. Sorry to go on but the contrast has just been astounding; again i wish that i'd discovered Amazon Japan and ditched Amazon US/UK earlier.

When ordering from the Netherlands, Amazon Japan only offer a very expensive shipping option, ¥1300 for one CD (DHL), whereas CD Japan charge ¥500 for the SAL shipment of one CD (regular post). Sure it takes a few days extra to arrive, but is very reliable and better protected through their elaborate packaging.

I'll be picking up Percussion Bitter Sweet.

Sound is much improved over the GRP edition. :tup

JPN-UCCI-9282_frontS.jpg

Compressed. Loud.

m1337.gif

Hey, wasn't the awakening also part of the same 2011 SHM series as the Coltranes, and they still used an older mastering for this? That's unexpected. As a result, it's no longer in my shopping cart. Thank you.

I know — it's the first time, in my experience, that this series didn't fall back, when it easily could have, on the SHM-CD remaster. I took one for the team!

So, a heads-up for the board — I wouldn't recommend UCCI 9282. Try to find the 2011 edition.

:rcry

I'll be picking up Percussion Bitter Sweet.

Sound is much improved over the GRP edition. :tup

JPN-UCCI-9282_frontS.jpg

Compressed. Loud.

m1337.gif

I know — it's the first time, in my experience, that this series didn't fall back, when it easily could have, on the SHM-CD remaster. I took one for the team!

So, a heads-up for the board — I wouldn't recommend UCCI 9282. Try to find the 2011 edition.

:rcry

How is the US/EU 1997 digipak? It is currently only €5 at amazon.de as part of their three for €15 offer.

Edited by erwbol

• 3 weeks later...

7c9cf343350a007fb35cd8a50ec.jpg

Just got done listening to this disc in total. What a fine, fine record. I have the old 20-bit digipack edition (Erik Labson?), and it doesn't sound very good. I hope this new Japanese edition can provide more depth and soundstage placement than the edition I own. You can tell it was well-recorded (a ton of room sound!), but ... well, we'll see.

I wish Max had recorded more than twice for Impulse!

UCCI 9255 ... I haven't listened to it yet.

Listening now. Stereo! The U.S. Labson digipack edition is squashed into near-mono in comparison. Still, this new (re)reissue doesn't sound spectacular. Might be the limitations in the original recording, I'm not sure, but whoever remastered this Japanese edition seemingly didn't know what to do with the bass. It sounds boosted to me. Max's drums sound good, but are deeply recessed. I have to imagine this was a frustrating project, recording-wise, for both Roach and Thiele.

Max Roach - It's Time (UCCI 9255)

This is a reissue of the 20bit K2 remaster by Shigeo Miyamoto and Tamaki Beck. The same team who did the Prestige, New Jazz, and Riverside 20bit K2s (US and Japan). Most titles from this series not included in the 2011 SHM batch seem to be 20bit K2 reissues.

I find these K2s to be a mixed bag, especially the Impulse! titles. For example, Excession and Kulu Se Mama (2000 Kevin Revees US digipak is better). The Japanese mini-lp of Thelonious Himself on Riverside is especially bad.

Marion Brown's "Vista" is quite wonderful indeed! First spin yesterday. Also got Archie Shepp's terrific "The Magic of Ju-Ju", Pharoah Sanders' "Love in Us All" (not listened yet, but I've heard it), "Girl Talk" by Shirley Scott (new to me, not played yet) and some McFarland easy listening (his own "Point of Departure", Gabor Szabo's "Gypsy '66" and Zoot Sims' "The Waiting Game" - the latter I pretty much enjoyed, "Point" temains tame except for Willie Dennis, the Szabo, hmmm).

Why do they come with different spines?  Are these all straight re-pressings of older reissues, with only copyright/printed info updated?

First Meditations, Vista, Rural Still Life and Three Four Shepp arrived last week. FM was an upgrade from the GRP edition which I've always had trouble enjoying. Three For Shepp was to replace a defective domestic disc and it sounds better too. The other two were on the sound recommendations here. Both are very attractive albums. 

First Meditations, Vista, Rural Still Life and Three Four Shepp arrived last week. FM was an upgrade from the GRP edition which I've always had trouble enjoying. Three For Shepp was to replace a defective domestic disc and it sounds better too. The other two were on the sound recommendations here. Both are very attractive albums. 

Nice to hear that the Three For Shepp I also bought is better than the domestic version. That one is long OOP and I could not find a copy for a reasonable price.

Three For Shepp is a 20bit K2. Some of the Coltrane 20bit K2s also sound a bit better or no worse than the 90s Labson 20bit US/EU digipaks (At The Village Vanguard Again), but not by a huge margin imo. The last of US/EU digipaks from 2000 (Interstellar Space, Kulu Se Mama, New Thing At Newport, Ascension), however, are by Kevin Reeves and were much better than their predecessors.  

Indeed the Japanese budget 20bit K2 of Kulu Se Mama from four years ago is not as good as the domestic digipak from 2000. Likewise, I expect the New Thing At Newport from this new budget batch to sound worse than the 2000 domestic digipak.

Ascension could be a later Japanese remaster, and thus the exception among the remasters that predate the 2011 SHM editions. I have an edition from 2005 which I slightly prefer to the 2000 digipak.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the sound on this Japanese reissue of 'Cosmic Music' compares with the sound on the most recent US reissue (in the Coltrane 'Originals' series)? 

The Originals CDs are all more compressed, loud and harsh than the 2011 SHM-CDs. Cosmic Music is not the best sounding late Coltrane SHM-CD (the two tracks with Coltrane), but it is an improvement over the Originals, and this new budget release copies the 2011 mastering.

At these prices from CD Japan you can't go wrong with the following titles which all copy the 2011 mastering: 

UCCI-9243 Transition - John Coltrane

UCCI-9244 Living Space - John Coltrane

UCCI-9245 Sun Ship - John Coltrane

UCCI-9246 First Meditations - John Coltrane

UCCI-9247 Om - John Coltrane

UCCI-9248 Meditations - John Coltrane

UCCI-9249 Cosmic Music - John Coltrane

UCCI-9250 Jupiter variations - John Coltrane

UCCI-9251 Stellar Regions - John Coltrane

UCCI-9252 Interstellar Space - John Coltrane

UCCI-9253 Percussion Bitter Sweet - Max Roach

UCCI-9276 The Magic Of Juju - Archie Shepp

UCCI-9285 Attica Blues - Archie Shepp

UCCI-9288 Vista - Marion Brown

Edited by erwbol

Nice to hear that the Three For Shepp I also bought is better than the domestic version. That one is long OOP and I could not find a copy for a reasonable price.

Three For Shepp is a 20bit K2. Some of the Coltrane 20bit K2s also sound a bit better or no worse than the 90s Labson 20bit US/EU digipaks (At The Village Vanguard Again), but not by a huge margin imo. The last of US/EU digipaks from 2000 (Interstellar Space, Kulu Se Mama, New Thing At Newport, Ascension), however, are by Kevin Reeves and were much better than their predecessors.  

Indeed the Japanese budget 20bit K2 of Kulu Se Mama from four years ago is not as good as the domestic digipak from 2000. Likewise, I expect the New Thing At Newport from this new budget batch to sound worse than the 2000 domestic digipak.

Ascension could be a later Japanese remaster, and thus the exception among the remasters that predate the 2011 SHM editions. I have an edition from 2005 which I slightly prefer to the 2000 digipak.

I have the  2000 Reeves digipack, and that has a pressing error I guess.   it won't rip "Edition I" or play the very end correctly, years ago originally I exchanged the first copy thinking it was defective but, same thing occurred.

I have the  2000 Reeves digipack, and that has a pressing error I guess.   it won't rip "Edition I" or play the very end correctly, years ago originally I exchanged the first copy thinking it was defective but, same thing occurred.

Really? I used to own a EU pressing of Ascension and later replaced that scratched disc with a US CD, and both played fine until the end. The Originals is also by Reeves and sounds the same except for the extra treble, compression, harshness, and loudness. I prefer to listen to UCCI-9124 from 2005 (Japan). I don't know if this budget release copies that mastering.

Edited by erwbol