Sheila Jordan

Alexander

The amazing Sheila is still going strong at 75. Actually, I think much of her stuff exceeds Portrait in brilliance.

You should go immediately to half.com and buy "From The Heart," a nice selection from her Muse years. It's out of print (32 Jazz), and you can pick it up for $7.99 if you act fast.

Her recent (1999) album, "Jazz Child" (High Note) is a great one too.

I can assure you Tom Storer will jump in to kvell shortly.

LOST AND FOUND (Muse) is now OOP but pops up in used stores - I'm sure the 32 Jazz comp has some of this material, but it really holds together well as an album, fantastic music. Kenny Barron, Harvie Swartz, Ben Riley. I've never heard her other Muses but I'm sure they're stellar too.

Sheila loves bassists (who doesn't :D) and has done duet albums with bassists.

"Sheila" with Arild Andersen in 1977 (AMG ****1/2) AMG

"Old Time Feeling" with Harvie Swartz (now Harvie S) in 1982 (AMG ****) AMG

"I've Grown Accustomed To The Bass" with Cameron Brown in 2000 (AMG not rated) AMG

Edited by Upright Bill

Try to see her live.I saw her live at our town's small jazz festival

4 years ago.Loved every minute of her singing.She sang for nearly

an hour without any breaks.Amazing achievement for a lady

who was at that time 71 years old.

Mal Waldron was playing piano in her band.It was the only time

I saw him playing. ;(

I can assure you Tom Storer will jump in to kvell shortly.

Pete's ability to forecast the future is nothing short of amazing. Here I am to kvell!

All the suggestions are good. I'll add her most recent album, "Little Song" on High Note, from last year. It's with the Steve Kuhn trio with Tom Harrell playing on a few numbers, and--need I say it?--it's great. One of my favorites. You can just click right on over to Amazon, for instance, and order it. Hup hup!

And yes, see her live if possible. In the last couple of years she's started to favor Paris and I've seen her a few times (next concert a month from today) and she's always wonderful.

alexander-you might be able to see her live since she lives close to the capital region-that is in cobleskill. the eighth step brings her in every other year or so, the van dyck occassionally books her, and various venues in the catskills will have her host a date, i.e., the rosendale cafe in kingston. also, she is on the umass summer jazz faculty so she participates in their concerts in july

Sheila Jordan is one of my favorite singers, for sure!

A love her instrument-like voice. The way she holds the notes makes you think she´s singing with her dying breath. She takes risks when singing. A very underrated singer, IMHO.

I suscribe all the above mentioned recommendations, starting with "Portrait of Sheila", of course, which is placed very high in my top-ten vocal discs list.

Would also point out "Jazz child" and "The crossing".

I feel I don´t own enough recordings of her...

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to her wonderful version of Ellington´s "It don´t mean a thing", included in the compilation of her Muse years "From the heart" (on 32 Jazz), with only bass and vocals, I realized that I tend to prefer her pianoless recordings. Maybe it´s the peculiarity of her voice, that doesn´t fit well with the classic piano-trio-plus-vocals format.

Check

f67853p4mxj.jpg

!!!!

Notwithstanding, and contradicting my previous assertion, I LOVE her work with Steve Kuhn.. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I gots a little story to tell....

As many of you already know, Don Lanphere passed away a few months back. I used to do a radio show at our local college station a few years ago and my show was on just before the 'Don & Bud Show' (Don Lanphere & Bud Young of Bud's jazz records). Don brought in the LP of 'The Crossing' by Sheila Jordon and knocked my socks off with it. Ever since I've been looking for that record with a passion, with little success. It's never been re-issued on CD to my knowledge.

Anyway, I went into Bud's Jazz Records a couple days ago and they had Don's entire record collection in there for sale. It had been picked through and was looking kinda thin...but sure nuff', there was the very same copy of 'The Crossing' that Don had brought in that special day years ago. All the records had stickers on em' which read "From the collection of Don Lanphere". 10 bucks later, I walked out of there with a much-desired record and a very special memory.

Sheila Jordan appears on Cameron Brown´s

HearAndNow.gif

Cameron Brown and the Hear & Now: Here and How!

2003 Omnitone

Sheila Jordan - Voices

Dewey Redman - Sax (Tenor)

Cameron Brown - Bass, Producer

Leon Parker - Drums

Dave Ballou - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Track list

1. Art Deco

2. For All We Know

3. Rylie's Bounce

4. Remembrance

5. Medley:

What Reason Could I Give?

For Dad and Dannie

6. Double Arc Jake

(OmniTone 15205)

Anyone heard it?

• 8 months later...

Up!

In the WAYLTRN? thread brownie reminded there´s a new Sheila Jordan release:

Believe in jazz (Ella Productions, 2004)

believe.jpg

Sheila Jordan (vocals)

Serge Forté (piano)

Karl Jannuska (drums)

Gary Brunton (double bass)

Track list:

1.- Comes Love (Nothing can be done) (04:05)

Lew Brown, Sam Stept, Charles Tobias

2.- Buffalo Wings (07:19)

Tom Harrel / Cheryl Pyle

3.- Bird Alone (06:09)

Abbey Lincoln

4.- Where you at (05:58)

George Handy, Jack Segal

5.- Little song/Black Bird/Real Time (10:20)

Sheila Jordan/Paul Mac Cartney/Chris Gee

6.- Everything happens to me (08:03)

Matt Dennis

7.- The touch of your lips (12:00)

Ray Noble

8.- You must believe in spring (06:52)

Michel Legrand

Ella Productions is proud to present “Believe in Jazz”, the first recording with Sheila Jordan and Serge Forté Trio. On November 8th 2003, during the 75th birthday Tour, this concert was recorded by Hubert Sewer, in charge of booking at “La Ferme Asile”, nice and warmly venue situated in Sion, Switzerland.

Sheila Jordan is “one of the jazz world’s best- kept secrets- a wonderfully flexible and imaginative improviser” (Alan Ross/Blue Note).

She recorded her very first album, for Blue Note, in 1962, and was in January 2004 the recipient of the highest distinction for JazzWomen through Lil Hardin Armstrong Jazz Heritage Award ( IAJE Women's Caucus annually honours a pioneering female jazz musician deserving of wider recognition for her artistic excellence and outstanding contributions to jazz and to the history of women in jazz).

“Sheila portrays "song" in every possible way, with the slightest bend of a note, of a word, with a pause, a look, becoming immediately the song we needed to hear, the perfect reason for our hearts to beat. “ (David Linx)

Sheila Jordan deserves to be recognise in Europe as she is everywhere else, as one of the most interesting artists, able to sing like she was a saxophonist, taking risks, scatting, and “keeping the Music alive” all around the World , to still make us all “Believe in Jazz”.