Stan Kenton Mosaic Holman Russo Set

brednjam1

That would be very, very hard. It reissues "Sketches on Standards" and "Contemporary Concepts" whole, but it draws various pieces from a bewildering array of singles, EPs, and albums. Because this was a fairly early set, the booklet does not list the LPs the way later Mosaic booklets have done. The only way one would be able to trace them is to go track by track in the discography, note the numbers (like "T462" or "H525") and then figure out what albums correspond to all the numbers!

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not a Kenton fanatic or expert by any means, but the lack of an album index has bugged me ever since I bought this set in 1991 or 1992.

The only way one would be able to trace them is to go track by track in the discography, note the numbers (like "T462" or "H525") and then figure out what albums correspond to all the numbers!

I found a book by Kenton discographer Michael Sparke in the library a few years back that did most of this work. Then this past weekend I did a bit more research at discogs and at a great Chris Connor website discography I found. I think I've figured most of it out.

There are at least two typos in the Mosaic booklet's discography!! I point those two out in my list below. That being said, let me know if I've added my own errors. I've only listed the release dates of the albums if they were released years or decades later.

John,

Vancouver BC

PS: Pasting plain text into this post won't allow the columns to line up correct for legible reading. I'll attempt to attach a PDF instead.

136 Stan Kenton - The Complete Capitol Recordings Of The Holman & Russo Charts Album Releases.pdf

Edited by jdw

• 2 months later...

The forum's software upgrade several weeks ago seemingly did something strange with my June 16 discography pdf attachment. It now seems to download as a blank html page. I have attached a correct pdf again here on August 20.

john

136 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of The Holman & Russo Charts - album releases list.pdf

Edited by jdw

• 2 weeks later...

belated thanks - I missed sending them when you first posted your list ...

had been after this for a while about ten years ago, and eventually brownie photocopied me the two relevant pages from the booklet (when I was on visit in 2006 or 2007) - I figured I needn't hunt for a copy of the Mosaic set, eventually, but it's good to have that info back again!

belated thanks - I missed sending them when you first posted your list

You are more than welcome, K.U. You went out of your way to pick up that Ray Charles Complete ABC Singles CD box for me about four years ago. That was extremely kind and I am happy to pay it back in a small (very very small) way.

John

Vancouver BC

• 11 months later...