Movies as good as the book

"The Spy Who Loved Me"

"Patriot Games"

gregmo

Interesting. In the James Bond field, I would have picked Goldfinger, which I recall (it's been 30+ years since I read it) as a pretty engaging book and is certainly a top shelf Bond film.

Does any one have any opinion on Gone With The Wind? I've only seen it once just because it seemed an obligation. I would never feel the need to see it again and certainly never wanted to read the book.

I think I would include Elmer Gantry. It's the only Sinclair Lewis work I've ever read. I thought both it and the film adaptation were good.

Goldfinger was a good book, make into a pretty good movie, but Spy Who Loved Me was a lousy book, so almost *any* movie would have been an improvement!

gregmo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Double Indemnity forty years go when I was on a James M. Cain kick, but I've never seen the movie. This has been on my wishlist for over a year!

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Couples-Spotlight-Collection-Anniversary/dp/B006TTC5PE/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1426896592&sr=1-2&keywords=double+indemnity+dvd

One of my favorites of the A-list noirs. It has a great score by Miklos Rozsa.

If you can find it, it is definitely worth watching John Huston's The Dead, based on a James Joyce story from Dubliners.

No spoilers. I thought the film did a great job of capturing the mood and feel of the story. It looked exactly like I imagined it. But I don't think it adequately captured the dynamic between two of the main characters, and this is such an important part of the story.

The Exorcist.

Amen. The Exorcist blew the book away.

Interesting as William Peter Blatty also wrote the screenplay and won an Academy award for it, based on his novel.

True. I didn't feel that the book could match the movie for suspense, but what really ruined the book for me was the police investigator. Apparently WPB was a big Columbo fan. Well, so am I, but it was a bit distracting for a horror novel to turn into a Columbo episode every time the guy entered a scene..

Edited by Jazzmoose

Haven't seen it yet, ejp. But it seems most folks agree with your assessment.

One that I need to revisit is the original Total Recall. In the last few years I've read some rather glowing reassessments of it. I just don't recall it being a very good movie. I suppose the latest version is great eye candy, but I still can't bring myself to watch it.

Definitely need to check out A Scanner Darkly, though. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW, in going back to check xybert's exact quote on Bladerunner, I saw this. Which obviously got lost in the mix while I was forming a quick rebuttal:

Stand By Me / The Body.

TWO HUGE thumbs up! This and Shawshank Redemption are the only two Stephen King stories that ever amounted to shit on the big screen, while staying completely faithful to the original text. Interestingly enough, they were both short stories.

I liked The Green Mile, too.

"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" (Tennessee WIlliams) with Taylor and Newman.

I read the book after having seen the movie and was surprised how the movie really came to life again when reading the book. Quite unlike anything experienced before.

Also, I felt "Last Exit to Brooklyn" fell into the same category, impact-wise, though reading the book due to force of circumstances was a protracted affair for me so I am not sure how the comparison would have turned out if I had managed to read the book in one go at the time. And re-reading the book now would not be the same as it's been very long since I saw that film.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I read Double Indemnity forty years go when I was on a James M. Cain kick, but I've never seen the movie. This has been on my wishlist for over a year!

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Couples-Spotlight-Collection-Anniversary/dp/B006TTC5PE/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1426896592&sr=1-2&keywords=double+indemnity+dvd

TTK, your recommendation is good enough for me! I've informed the camels to let me know the next time the price drops.

IMHO the LOTR adaptation is generally stronger (Fellowship in particular, TTT and ROTK less so) in many ways than the novels. But mostly if you are interested in the main thread of the story, rather than all of the auxiliary background and digressions.

This opinion is somewhat heretical in some circles.

TTK, your recommendation is good enough for me! I've informed the camels to let me know the next time the price drops.

You're in for a serious treat!