Bobby Bradford & John Carter Quintet - No U Turn (2015, Dark Tree

niels

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Btw, there's lots of photos, one inside the digipack, front of and inside the booklet (four double pages, I think), and on the back of the booklet you get the actual concert flyer. All in small format, sometimes two pics per page, but all annotated. Very nice job for sure!

This arrived this morning and it doesn't disappoint. The musical interplay is all you would expect from this group. The sound is very good and shouldn't put anyone off, although I'd agree that the two basses seem somewhat buried in the mix. I don't have tone controls but I'm not convinced that cranking up the bass would assist the overall sound. A very good issue and as Flurin has noted it comes with a multipage CD size booklet with essay and many photos.

Got my copy in Friday. I agree about the low sound of the bass, but I'm not surprised or deterred by it. It's similar sound quality-wise to the Bobby Bradford & The Mo'tet "Live at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art". Never tire of hearing his horn sing.

Any other comments on this CD? I am thinking of ordering especially as I tried, in vain, to track down a physical copy of this CD at FNAC and Paris Jazz Corner.

Looks like I will need to order directly from Dark Tree, or, try to order through my local brick & mortar.

LWayne

Arrived here in the US in one week from Dark Tree with a nice personal hand written note from Bertrand.

No problem with mailing packaging.

The music is great IMO.

My experience/impressions as well, exactly.

Bass is fully audible, very present, just not very "bass"y. sounds like it might have been a cassette recording, actually/possibly, or a slower-speed reel. Band balance is excellent, just not "unlimited frequency spectrum".

No matter, a wonderful document, and exemplary order fulfillment. Buy with confidence!

[Edit to add that after further listening, definitely not a cassette recording. And also that this is one helluva record, period.]

[Further edited to further add, ok, I see, "recorded on 4 track reel to reel by Pete Welding"]

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Jason Bivins said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned on some other thread, but No Business have just reissued Echoes from Rudolph, too. Great times for Carter devotees.

It was mentioned elsewhere, which is how I found out about it.  It's been out for a while.  I got my copy about a month ago.