The USPS SUCKS

1 minute ago, Brad said:

The path of this package is unbelievable. A total fiasco. This package earns the award for “the USPS Sucks.” Never will I use media mail again, if I can help it.  By the way, Chatham is only a half hour from Chester, where I live.

Tracking History

May 8, 2020
8:54 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility,
QUEENS NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 7, 2020
9:37 am

Arrived at USPS Facility,
CHATHAM, NJ 07928

May 7, 2020
8:31 am

Out for Delivery,
CHESTER, NJ 07930

May 7, 2020
8:20 am

Arrived at Post Office,
CHATHAM, NJ 07928

May 6, 2020

In Transit to Next Facility,

May 4, 2020
10:25 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility,
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

April 13, 2020
9:57 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility,

April 13, 2020
8:42 am

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility,
NEW YORK, NY 10128

April 9, 2020
9:27 pm

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item,
NEW YORK, NY 10128

April 9, 2020

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item,

Are you sure it's not being returned to the sender? "Out for delivery" would seem to indicate it's on your mail carrier's truck. Maybe the mail carrier saw something they didn't like and returned it to the sender? Do you know your mail carrier? I would ask them what happened yesterday.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the Out for Delivery must have been an error because it takes about half an hour to drive from Chatham to Chester. There is no way it could have been received in Chatham at 820 and then be out for delivery in Chester at 831. I have alerted the seller. 

Uh-oh. I've had another small package (orig. Cambridge MA, dest. upstate NY) fall into the dreaded Greensboro <-> Jersey City loop. Looks like 2 weeks or more until I'll see it. Last package finally (I'll spare details) only escaped the loop via Denver. Taking over-unders on how many times it'll cycle between Greensboro and JC...:(

May 8, 2020, 12:21 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on May 8, 2020 at 12:21 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 7, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

May 6, 2020, 11:10 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 6, 2020, 6:51 pm
GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 4, 2020, 6:42 pm
Departed Post Office
CAMBRIDGE, MA 02138 

May 4, 2020, 5:38 pm
USPS in possession of item
CAMBRIDGE, MA 02138 

Edited by T.D.

BTW I recently mailed a DVD with no packaging but inside a card to a friend on a remote Island in Canada.  Between the US and Canadian post offices  and potentially customs I never really expected it to arrive.  To my surprise it got there in a little more than a week. I'd just put a forever  international stamp on it which I think costs a dollar. 

I bought a Mosaic box on discogs, requested first class shipping. The parcel was shipped from Philadelphia suburbs Saturday, arrived upstate NY today (Monday)! Needless to say, I'll request first class if possible.

In contrast, I have two media mail parcels in limbo, one last tracked to the dreaded Jersey City (Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate).

Edited by T.D.

BTW I recently mailed a DVD with no packaging but inside a card to a friend on a remote Island in Canada.  Between the US and Canadian post offices  and potentially customs I never really expected it to arrive.  To my surprise it got there in a little more than a week. I'd just put a forever  international stamp on it which I think costs a dollar. 

Maybe if you don't use cases you can send a cd and liner notes in a regular envelope for the cost of a first class stamp. 

I once received a book along with a bunch of other CDs in padded envelopes that wasn't addressed to me. 
It also wasn't addressed to anyone on our street or in our subdivision. But it had a delivery confirmation sticker,                       so the incompetent carrier could confirm that he delivered it, somewhere. 

I stuck it back in our box and hope it made it to its intended destination...

Edited by Ken Dryden

11 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Still not delivered. Allegedly tomorrow.

I believe this may be lost. At least Amazon will replace it, if it doesn't show up. Was mailed May 1, & has been sitting in Santa Fe with no movement since May 6. Currently 11 days in transit. 

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

Ordered the John Patton Mosaic off eBay over 2 weeks ago from Sunnyvale, Ca.. Shipped Media mail . Using tracking the last sign of the package was 9 days ago sitting in Los Angeles. 

It will probably get to you but it may be awhile. 

This is probably not the best place for this but I ordered five paperbacks from Amazon; four came damaged as their packaging is terrible: they just threw them into a mailer with no bubble wrap or anything. They replaced three; packaging just as bad although only one was damaged. Ordered the other one from B & N. Packaging was top notch. They get my book business from now on. 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, jlhoots said:

I believe this may be lost. At least Amazon will replace it, if it doesn't show up. Was mailed May 1, & has been sitting in Santa Fe with no movement since May 6. Currently 11 days in transit. 

Contacted USPS (FWIW), & they're "investigating". Amazon says if it's not delivered by May 15, they'll replace it.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Brad said:

The path of this package is unbelievable. A total fiasco. This package earns the award for “the USPS Sucks.” Never will I use media mail again, if I can help it.  By the way, Chatham is only a half hour from Chester, where I live.

Tracking History

May 8, 2020
8:54 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility,
QUEENS NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

May 7, 2020
9:37 am

Arrived at USPS Facility,
CHATHAM, NJ 07928

May 7, 2020
8:31 am

Out for Delivery,
CHESTER, NJ 07930

May 7, 2020
8:20 am

Arrived at Post Office,
CHATHAM, NJ 07928

May 6, 2020

In Transit to Next Facility,

May 4, 2020
10:25 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility,

April 13, 2020
9:57 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility,

April 13, 2020
8:42 am

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility,
NEW YORK, NY 10128

April 9, 2020
9:27 pm

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item,
NEW YORK, NY 10128

April 9, 2020

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item,

This package officially entered the Twilight Zone. After leaving Queens, NY it has now landed in Ybor City, Florida. Yup, the USPS really sucks. 

10 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Contacted USPS (FWIW), & they're "investigating". Amazon says if it's not delivered by May 15, they'll replace it.

So the USPS investigated & marked the issue as "resolved", telling me they don't have the item. Totally incompetent. I'll have to wait until May 15 & have Amazon reship it.

It would appear that larger items are the hold up i.e. records vs cds. I've had a record that departed Los Angeles Processing center on May 9th and still hasn't reached Long Beach. Usually it will leave LA at night and arrive in the morning before out for delivery because, you know, were in the same county. No clue when it will arrive. UPS on the other hand received my package on Monday from pennsylvania and delivered them yesterday. 

is all this crap a new trend, since out virus troubles started? Because in about 30 years of selling and shipping things I have had maybe 2 problems. As I have a new project that will go media in August, I am now very nervous. Since we know the p.o. is now having business and political problems. Oi.

40 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

is all this crap a new trend, since out virus troubles started? Because in about 30 years of selling and shipping things I have had maybe 2 problems. As I have a new project that will go media in August, I am now very nervous. Since we know the p.o. is now having business and political problems. Oi.

I think it’s just since the virus troubles started. In some cases, I haven’t had an issue with media mail, in others I have. You might want to offer people the option of priority, advising them that media mail is unpredictable and you can’t guarantee that they will receive their package on a timely basis. 

My missing package finally showed up today. It actually took less time for the package to find its way from Florida to me than the prior five weeks trying to get to New Jersey from NY city.

Next are two cds I’m awaiting from an eBay seller in Japan. God knows when those will get here. 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, jlhoots said:

So the USPS investigated & marked the issue as "resolved", telling me they don't have the item. Totally incompetent. I'll have to wait until May 15 & have Amazon reship it.

Never arrived. Amazon says come back on Mon., & they'll replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this record is walking itself to Long Beach from Los Angeles. 

May 13, 2020 
In Transit to Next Facility 
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

May 9, 2020, 5:21 am 
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 8:41 pm 
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 7:59 pm 
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 9:59 am 
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility 
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER