The USPS SUCKS

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I have the sneaking suspicion that all of this is happening as a job action. I sent out something 10 days ago to someone who has yet to receive it. I smell a deliberate slow down.

Not so sure about that. On one of the neighborhood message boards, there are always a lot of complaints about mail service. Someone who went to the local post office and talked to the guy in charge there said he was told that the USPS is struggling nationwide even more than usual because they have thousands of postal workers who've been quarantined for exposure to Covid, so they're shorthanded in many locales and having to send workers from other locales to fill in for those who are out.

Anecdotally, it wasn't unusual to see temp carriers on our street whenever the regular carrier was on vacation, but it does seem like we've had a lot more temps since the start of the pandemic. 

My old office is still short staffed. That's after they hired a bunch of people a few months back. As been cited media mail has been terrible. I've had a package sitting in Springfield,  Mass. for 10 days until a short time ago.

Edited by Tom 1960

I have the same mail persons and things are fine at the post office and with the delivery. I hope it can stay that way! My most regular mail person is retiring in November. . . a good time to be able to. I'll miss her, she's very good and very nice.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

They can't get mail in the right boxes. Apparently mailbox numbers are a complicated thing. We're running around the neighborhood redelivering stuff ourselves.

I have that problem with the local 3rd party Amazon last mile crew.  When USPS does the last mile, it gets delivered correctly.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

They can't get mail in the right boxes. Apparently mailbox numbers are a complicated thing.

Well, we're a "post-literate" society now, or at least rapidly becoming one. We don't really need to think and read and then execute an action based on that thinking and reading, we just need to know which buttons to push to get what we want. So yeah we know what numbers look like, but do we know what they mean, like, if you have to do analog work with them like matching a letter on a package or a letter to one on a mailbox?

Sending a command is easy. Delivering an expected outcome, not so much.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well, we're a "post-literate" society now, or at least rapidly becoming one. We don't really need to think and read and then execute an action based on that thinking and reading, we just need to know which buttons to push to get what we want. So yeah we know what numbers look like, but do we know what they mean, like, if you have to do analog work with them like matching a letter on a package or a letter to one on a mailbox?

Sending a command is easy. Delivering an expected outcome, not so much.

There's a "regular" carrier & he's fine. However, once or twice a week there's a "sub", & that's when things get screwed up.

I gave in to temptation a couple of days ago and placed a discogs order with a dealer offering $5 shipping for 4+ records. But knowing how bad Media Mail has been I asked for a Priority Mail option and he offered $10. Scheduled for delivery by Monday, showed up this afternoon.

4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

2 packages, 2 vendors, allegedly delivered yesterday at 8 p.m., key left in parcel box for pickup.

The problem is there is no key for the parcel box. USPS is "investigating". Been down this road before. 

What's a parcel box? 

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I am bewildered by all the complaints - I send and receive stuff via USPS almost daily and have only had one problem in the last 10 years I can think of. I do "shudder" when I see DHL is in the mix - that can add about 4 days  to the delivery.

Me too. I've had more problems with UPS and Fedex.  

Edited by medjuck

51 minutes ago, medjuck said:

What's a parcel box? 

In our area we each have a small individual mailbox. If something doesn't fit, there are larger parcel boxes. They're supposed to leave a key in your small mailbox for the large parcel box.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I am bewildered by all the complaints - I send and receive stuff via USPS almost daily and have only had one problem in the last 10 years I can think of. I do "shudder" when I see DHL is in the mix - that can add about 4 days  to the delivery.

There were complaints because their service wasn’t very good in the northeast during the early phases of the Coronavirus. However, since it was the Coronavirus we do have to give them some slack.  Their service has returned to normal. People where the Coronavirus is now increasing may have the same issues. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Thanks Chuck. Then find my 2 boxes the USPS "delivered" 2 days ago & are nowhere to be found. I guess you're a lucky guy. USPS is "investigating", whatever that means. I'll report back!!

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

In our area we each have a small individual mailbox. If something doesn't fit, there are larger parcel boxes. They're supposed to leave a key in your small mailbox for the large parcel box.

Sounds like a good idea if they'd leave the key. Sucks if they don't.  Do you every see your mail person? 

7 hours ago, jlhoots said:

5 hours ago, medjuck said:

Sounds like a good idea if they'd leave the key. Sucks if they don't.  Do you every see your mail person? 

I know this may sound stupid. As a former carrier a couple things may have happened here. One might be the possibility that the key may have been placed in the wrong box. A neighbor either might be in possession either of your goods or hasn't cleaned out the box to obtain key. Another possibility is that the parcels were placed in the locker and the key was never placed in your box to begin with or any box for that matter. Which means anyone in that case can remove those parcels from the parcel locker without a key.  You can't lock the box without first removing that key. 

Edited by Tom 1960

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

I know this may sound stupid. As a former carrier a couple things may have happened here. One might be the possibility that the key may have been placed in the wrong box. A neighbor either might be in possession either of your goods or hasn't cleaned out the box to obtain key. Another possibility is that the parcels were placed in the locker and the key was never placed in your box to begin with or any box for that matter. Which means anyone in that case can remove those parcels from the parcel locker without a key.  You can't lock the box without first removing that key. 

All of those are possible. I've reported this to the USPS & case numbers have been assigned. We placed a note inside our mailbox but apparently it wasn't looked at. Today we added a note taped to the outside of our mailbox. This is all ridiculous whatever the reason is.