The USPS SUCKS

I have to admit I did that once by putting the key in the wrong box. Sometimes you get in a rush not that I'm making excuses and you mistakenly place the key in the wrong customer box. When that did occur the customer did call and the following day I removed the key from the errant customer and made sure the customer got her packages. I apologized for the error. In your case who knows what the heck happened? The fact that the items came up scanned delivered makes me wonder exactly what happened here. Good luck.  I can appreciate your frustrations. 

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tom 1960 said:

I have to admit I did that once by putting the key in the wrong box. Sometimes you get in a rush not that I'm making excuses and you mistakenly place the key in the wrong customer box. When that did occur the customer did call and the following day I removed the key from the errant customer and made sure the customer got her packages. I apologized for the error. In your case who knows what the heck happened? The fact that the items came up scanned delivered makes me wonder exactly what happened here. Good luck.  I can appreciate your frustrations. 

We went up & checked this a.m. Several of the parcel boxes are open & have packages left behind in them. I guess people had keys that weren't for them & just left the packages behind. None were ours. Several of the parcel boxes are closed without keys sticking out of them. We left messages inside & outside of our mailbox. The USPS has not responded other than to indicate they have the case numbers. I may try to get the vendors to reship. BTW, FedEx sure post has been the most problematic.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, jcam_44 said:

I believe this record is walking itself to Long Beach from Los Angeles. 

May 13, 2020 
In Transit to Next Facility 
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

May 9, 2020, 5:21 am 
Departed USPS Regional Facility 
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 8:41 pm 
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility 
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 7:59 pm 
Departed USPS Regional Facility 
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 8, 2020, 9:59 am 
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility 
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 6, 2020, 10:49 am 
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility 
DALLAS TX NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

May 5, 2020, 4:56 pm 
USPS in possession of item 
LONGVIEW, TX 75604  

April 27, 2020, 8:28 pm 
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item 
LONGVIEW, TX 75604  

April 27, 2020 
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item 

I've given up on this record ever arriving. 

Edited by jcam_44

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

We went up & checked this a.m. Several of the parcel boxes are open & have packages left behind in them. I guess people had keys that weren't for them & just left the packages behind. None were ours. Several of the parcel boxes are closed without keys sticking out of them. We left messages inside & outside of our mailbox. The USPS has not responded other than to indicate they have the case numbers. I may try to get the vendors to reship. BTW, FedEx sure post has been the most problematic.

The problem is when you have unlocked parcel lockers with parcels sitting inside, anybody could just walk up and remove them. It wouldn't surprise me. It might not be even a neighbor,  but somebody just passing through the neighborhood checking out the mailboxes and helped themselves to it. The boxes under no circumstances should be unlocked with packages sitting inside. The post office needs to address that first and foremost. 

10 minutes ago, Tom 1960 said:

The problem is when you have unlocked parcel lockers with parcels sitting inside, anybody could just walk up and remove them. It wouldn't surprise me. It might not be even a neighbor,  but somebody just passing through the neighborhood checking out the mailboxes and helped themselves to it. The boxes under no circumstances should be unlocked with packages sitting inside. The post office needs to address that first and foremost. 

I get it. One problem is our local post office is so bad that when you dial the so-called local hot line number the phone rings forever & no one picks up. Thanks for letting me vent. At least I have case numbers from USPS. If they never find my stuff, hopefully the vendors will reship.

Funny when I lived in apartments and had to deal with parcel boxes there was never ever an issue. I guess they'd install a certain number of boxes dependent upon the size of the complex but usually you'd see a bunch of locked doors with keys in the slot. I didn't even think it was possible to have it unlocked and no key anywhere. If there was no key, the box was locked and the key was in the appropriate mail slot. When you opened the box you left the key in the slot and took your box. Easy peasy. And much better than the last place we lived before our home purchase, where all packages were delivered to the main office so it was easy to be forced to wait at least one extra day to get your package.

20 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Funny when I lived in apartments and had to deal with parcel boxes there was never ever an issue. I guess they'd install a certain number of boxes dependent upon the size of the complex but usually you'd see a bunch of locked doors with keys in the slot. I didn't even think it was possible to have it unlocked and no key anywhere. If there was no key, the box was locked and the key was in the appropriate mail slot. When you opened the box you left the key in the slot and took your box. Easy peasy. And much better than the last place we lived before our home purchase, where all packages were delivered to the main office so it was easy to be forced to wait at least one extra day to get your package.

People are apparently unlocking parcel boxes with keys they find in their mailboxes. Then when they realize the package isn't for them, they just leave it in the unlocked box. Hopefully no one is stealing stuff that doesn't belong to them.

This is bizarre. I've tried to contact the local post office to deal with this, but no one picks up the phone & there is no voice mail. I have a call in to an 800 number at USPS & am supposed to get a call back in"more than an hour". Meanwhile my "case numbers" are being investigated to try to find my packages. If the USPS eventually declares my packages as "lost", I presume the 2 vendors will reship. Needless to say, I'm pissed.

1 minute ago, jlhoots said:

People are apparently unlocking parcel boxes with keys they find in their mailboxes. Then when they realize the package isn't for them, they just leave it in the unlocked box. Hopefully no one is stealing stuff that doesn't belong to them.

Leaving in an unlocked box just makes no sense. Is this like a Rural Route where the mail comes to centrally located mailboxes and there are parcel boxes too? Or is it an apartment complex? I know that if I had a key to a box with a package for someone else I'd grab it, knock on their door, leave a note if necessary and take the box to my apartment. And I'd hope others would do the same. This really sucks for you.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Leaving in an unlocked box just makes no sense. Is this like a Rural Route where the mail comes to centrally located mailboxes and there are parcel boxes too? Or is it an apartment complex? I know that if I had a key to a box with a package for someone else I'd grab it, knock on their door, leave a note if necessary and take the box to my apartment. And I'd hope others would do the same. This really sucks for you.

I agree. As you describe it, it's a Rural Route with a bank of smaller mailboxes & larger parcel lockers. I tried to notify the local post office, but no one answers the phone (I let it ring for 5 minutes). I hope if someone has my stuff that they will let me know. OTOH maybe the post office will get it fixed today. Will check my mail box late this afternoon to see if the issue is resolved.

I called the USPS 800 number & they tried to reassure me that they have notified the local post office & hopefully it'll get resolved. I'm not confident.

Edited by jlhoots

11 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

There was a very big push for more community mailboxes up in Canada (started under a Postmaster General appointed by Harper).  In fact, the plan was to replace all individual mailboxes throughout Canada with community mailboxes.  It was certainly a challenge trying to understand where these would even go in the moderately dense parts of Toronto (condo towers were not covered as they more or less have community mailboxes watched over by a doorman -- or not).  Trudeau called off the project before they got around to implementing it in Montreal or Toronto (and I believe Vancouver as well).  But he didn't pledge to restore people's individual mailboxes if they had lost them...

Anyway, yes there are lots and lots of complaints about these community mailboxes, particularly in the winter time.  It doesn't take much for flaps to warp or locks to start malfunctioning or one key can open other boxes so people steal other people's mail, etc.  It does sound dreadful, and I am glad that my block was spared.

I haven't had any packages go missing lately (yet), but I am seeing lots of inaccurate or outdated tracking information more often than was previously the case. Had one package delivered a couple of weeks ago, but the tracking info is still indicating "awaiting delivery scan". OK, they forgot to scan it before dropping it off, but I have it, so no problem. Another one just showed up today, shipped via FedEx SmartPost, and both the FedEx and the USPS tracking numbers still show that they're awaiting receipt of the package after the label has been created. I'd just about given up on that one and was surprised to see it on the porch this morning. 

The one that really had me pissed off was a UPS SurePost package I was expecting earlier this week. The day it was supposed to be here, the USPS tracking number showed they were awaiting receipt of the package from UPS, but when I checked the UPS tracking number, it showed that it had been delivered less than an hour previously, signed for by someone at "front desk". There's no front desk at my residence, so I called UPS. After a painful journey through their phone menu, I finally got a live person on the phone who said that yes, it appeared that the package had been delivered, but if I didn't have it, it must have been misrouted to the wrong address and I would have to file a claim to initiate an investigation. The next day, USPS delivered it, so the UPS "delivery" was clearly to the post office, something I'd suggested to the UPS rep, but she insisted that it was not. 

All things considered, I suppose I'd rather have shitty tracking info and packages eventually showing up, as opposed to accurate tracking info and packages getting routed all over Hell's half acre or getting lost. 

9 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I haven't had any packages go missing lately (yet), but I am seeing lots of inaccurate or outdated tracking information more often than was previously the case. Had one package delivered a couple of weeks ago, but the tracking info is still indicating "awaiting delivery scan". OK, they forgot to scan it before dropping it off, but I have it, so no problem. Another one just showed up today, shipped via FedEx SmartPost, and both the FedEx and the USPS tracking numbers still show that they're awaiting receipt of the package after the label has been created. I'd just about given up on that one and was surprised to see it on the porch this morning. 

The one that really had me pissed off was a UPS SurePost package I was expecting earlier this week. The day it was supposed to be here, the USPS tracking number showed they were awaiting receipt of the package from UPS, but when I checked the UPS tracking number, it showed that it had been delivered less than an hour previously, signed for by someone at "front desk". There's no front desk at my residence, so I called UPS. After a painful journey through their phone menu, I finally got a live person on the phone who said that yes, it appeared that the package had been delivered, but if I didn't have it, it must have been misrouted to the wrong address and I would have to file a claim to initiate an investigation. The next day, USPS delivered it, so the UPS "delivery" was clearly to the post office, something I'd suggested to the UPS rep, but she insisted that it was not. 

All things considered, I suppose I'd rather have shitty tracking info and packages eventually showing up, as opposed to accurate tracking info and packages getting routed all over Hell's half acre or getting lost. 

Sure Post (UPS or FedEx) is a big part of the problem IMO. Every time a package changes hands the chance for error increases.

I ordered face masks for the wife through a Amazon third party vendor. Paid extra postage so it would get here sooner. It sat in Las Vegas for 10 days before moving onto Los Angeles. Now supposedly it's in transit to the next destination wherever that might be. Things are really messed up.

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out. I have never had a package arrive at my PO before 6 am and not make it onto the truck for delivery that day.

Now, a day later at 7 am it still shows as delivery on Thursday? This thing better show up today or the USPS can kiss my ass.

usps still sucks.jpg

On 7/7/2020 at 7:10 AM, Dan Gould said:

Check this out. I have never had a package arrive at my PO before 6 am and not make it onto the truck for delivery that day.

Now, a day later at 7 am it still shows as delivery on Thursday? This thing better show up today or the USPS can kiss my ass.

usps still sucks.jpg

In the end I received this on Wednesday, a day early but two days after it reached the PO.

And now I am more aggravated as the recent order that is of most importance to me is a full week out of Memphis without being scanned anywhere. That's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

This is just about the most brazen thing I've seen yet. (The allegedly in the title is maybe uncalled for in this case...)  https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/delivery-driver-caught-on-video-allegedly-taking-package-he-had-just-delivered-1.5008961

And up here in Canada!

Give it a day and something worse will happen.

I’m not sure I follow “And up here in Canada!” Does that mean Canada is immune to theft? Don’t think so. 

14 hours ago, Brad said:

I’m not sure I follow “And up here in Canada!” Does that mean Canada is immune to theft? Don’t think so. 

I thought that everyone knew that Minnesota Nice turns into Canadian Super Nice once you go over the border.

Well we've found a new locale where items can go in the wrong direction - Memphis. 8 days after leaving Memphis (when it seemed on target for on-time delivery) it was scanned in Phoenix.  Frankly I'm relieved that it got someplace to be scanned even if its 2000 miles in the wrong direction. Now I am wondering - when an item is misdirected and ridiculously late, is anything done to expedite delivery, as in treating it like a first class package? Or I bet it is a media mail piece in Phoenix, hopefully sent in the general direction of Florida, and probably 9 days away.