The USPS SUCKS

With two months to go, have faith, Aggie.

In the meantime I've decided that the route from Raleigh NC to Tampa is among the best. Third time a large box of LPs from Carolina Soul, sent Media Mail, arrived at the local PO in two days. Bravo, southeast USPS.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It’s not just the USPS, FedEx is bad too. I recently ordered a record from Mobile Fidelity, going from Chicago to NJ. Three days after shipment, it was in Pennsylvania and delivery was going to be the next day. Next day, no package. I look at the tracking and it’s in California.  Why, I have no idea. About a week later it finally showed up.  

3 hours ago, Brad said:

It’s not just the USPS, FedEx is bad too. I recently ordered a record from Mobile Fidelity, going from Chicago to NJ. Three days after shipment, it was in Pennsylvania and delivery was going to be the next day. Next day, no package. I look at the tracking and it’s in California.  Why, I have no idea. About a week later it finally showed up.  

FedEx ain't what it used to be. I had a wine shipment get stuck in Buford, Wyoming for 10 days. Buford (FWIW) is a ghost town with a pop. of zero!!

On 4/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, jlhoots said:

FedEx ain't what it used to be. I had a wine shipment get stuck in Buford, Wyoming for 10 days. Buford (FWIW) is a ghost town with a pop. of zero!!

It's a ghost town with zero population but a FedEx distribution center? This seems odd. I'd think a distribution center would have many dozens of employees. But I guess there could also be gas stations and diners, if there's a FedEx distribution center?

it just seems very strange to me, but hey, ... Wyoming!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m reading an article and the guy in it mentions having a “Drop and Go” card from the post office where he just goes in and drops off his parcels and runs his card and he’s off. So, I’m looking this up and find out he’s in the U.K. - oh - so, I start checking if we have anything like this here in the US (temporarily forgetting about our hijacked system here), so, yes, there’s something similar in Canada, but nuh-uh - not here. I remember doing all kinds of convenient things at numerous Deutsche Post locations in Germany, so am I correct in thinking that there’s no such system here in the US? Closest would be just buying a prepaid Visa or somesuch?

I have now made insurance mandatory on all Discogs sales. I am tired of the USPS screwing around with my media mail packages. I had one that bounced around with little to no tracking for over two months, only to be returned, torn open and empty, in a plastic sleeve.

I shipped a box of CDs to Stateside Distributors in South Carolina on March 26, foolishly wihout spending another $2.30 on insurance, now those morons have not tracked it since March 30th, still listing it as "in transit, arriving late." I think this is more than incompetence, it sounds like they have some thieves in the various sorting centers.

A substitute carrier who ran a route in our neighborhood while our regular carrier was on sick leave was busted for DUI one night and discovered to have a lot of stolen mail in her vehicle. Where are they finding these people?

On March 2nd, I ordered 2 CDs from an eBay seller in Japan. The estimated delivery was April 2-15. I just went to contact the seller and the estimated delivery has now been updated to June 2-15. WTF? Am I being scammed? I have ordered CDs from Japan recently and while they did take longer than usual, it wasn't 13-15 weeks.

BTW - the seller is still listing more copies of these same two CDs, so it doesn't appear to be a stock issue.

10 Available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274584294281

8 Available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352917591156

14 minutes ago, bresna said:

On March 2nd, I ordered 2 CDs from an eBay seller in Japan. The estimated delivery was April 2-15. I just went to contact the seller and the estimated delivery has now been updated to June 2-15. WTF? Am I being scammed? I have ordered CDs from Japan recently and while they did take longer than usual, it wasn't 13-15 weeks.

BTW - the seller is still listing more copies of these same two CDs, so it doesn't appear to be a stock issue.

The Blakey says "pre-order" while the Dexter does not. So perhaps this is a re-pressing of the Blakey that has been delayed, and since you probably didn't pay for separate shipping, shipping is delayed until both are in hand?

If the Dexter never shows up I might be willing to part with mine.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Japanese shipping is problematic. That’s why I’ve given up on buying from Japan unless it’s through CD Japan. This seller, even in the best of times, is also a bit slow. 

Edited by Brad

Yes, cdjapan is the better option I pursue as well--you can get 6 or 7 cds for about 23 dollars DHL'd to you in three or four days--decent price and great service. I've had good luck with discogs sellers as well. . . takes some time but not excessive and not one miss in all the hits.

USPS strikes again. I sent a package of music to "the one that got away" (to her office in a state building) on August 2, 2020. I figured it was long lost. The internal mail brought it to her office this week. 

Several weak links there. . . but I'm glad it finally made it.

10 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

USPS strikes again. I sent a package of music to "the one that got away" (to her office in a state building) on August 2, 2020. I figured it was long lost. The internal mail brought it to her office this week. 

Several weak links there. . . but I'm glad it finally made it.

That has to be some sort of modern record. I’ve experienced a three month delay but never eight to nine months. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The Blakey says "pre-order" while the Dexter does not. So perhaps this is a re-pressing of the Blakey that has been delayed, and since you probably didn't pay for separate shipping, shipping is delayed until both are in hand?

If the Dexter never shows up I might be willing to part with mine.

I never saw that "Pre-order" down in the body of the item description but no matter - the seller is claiming to have it in stock. It still says "8 Available" even now. You should not use the term "available" unless it is in stock. Maybe a Japanese seller is unaware of that?

Also, when I first bought it, it said expected delivery "Thu, Apr 01 - Fri, Apr 16". If it said "Wed. Jun. 2 and Thu. Jun. 17" I would not have bought this. As it is, I'm only picking it up because I found a copy of the HQ-CD of Vol. 2 and I thought it sounded better than the Ron McMaster and RVG CDs. It's not like I have to have this. :)

Regarding the Dexter Gordon CD, I already got in Vol. 2 from CD Japan (ordered a week after this I might add) and it's not going to make my "favorite Dexter Gordon dates" list any time soon. If this seller eventually cancels my order, and his feedback seems to indicate that happens frequently, I doubt I'll be ordering this elsewhere... certainly not at the aftermarket prices I've seen.

8 minutes ago, bresna said:

I never saw that "Pre-order" down in the body of the item description but no matter - the seller is claiming to have it in stock. It still says "8 Available" even now. You should not use the term "available" unless it is in stock. Maybe a Japanese seller is unaware of that?

Also, when I first bought it, it said expected delivery "Thu, Apr 01 - Fri, Apr 16". If it said "Wed. Jun. 2 and Thu. Jun. 17" I would not have bought this. As it is, I'm only picking it up because I found a copy of the HQ-CD of Vol. 2 and I thought it sounded better than the Ron McMaster and RVG CDs. It's not like I have to have this. :)

Regarding the Dexter Gordon CD, I already got in Vol. 2 from CD Japan (ordered a week after this I might add) and it's not going to make my "favorite Dexter Gordon dates" list any time soon. If this seller eventually cancels my order, and his feedback seems to indicate that happens frequently, I doubt I'll be ordering this elsewhere... certainly not at the aftermarket prices I've seen.

Based on my experience with this seller and I’ve purchased four or five CDs from them, they never have it in stock. They secure it from the supplier once they receive a paid order, which can take a couple of weeks. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Based on my experience with this seller and I’ve purchased four or five CDs from them, they never have it in stock. They secure it from the supplier once they receive a paid order, which can take a couple of weeks. 

If that's the case, I am just going to wait a few days to see what they say and just request a cancellation. These two CDs are out of stock everywhere so there is no way this seller is going to get any.