Lady in Satin Centennial

jazzbo

Wow, I certainly did NOT expect this. A 3 cd set of Lady in Satin--first disc is a remastered version of the LP and also "Fine and Mellow" from the Sound of Jazz. . . the "complete sessions" are on the second and third discs. Out April 7, 2015.

http://www.billieholiday.com/portfolio/lady-in-satin/

61Lv7X1xBQL._SY300_.jpg

I'd love to get it. One of my favourite songs is on it. Out of curiousity to compare with the prices, can I ask what will you have to pay, jb?

She was born in 1915.

It took me a minute or two to feel Lady In Satin, but once felt, never unfelt, even though it starts at the peak and evens out from there.

No idea what outtakes from the session would be like, the proposition is scary, but who knows?

But this...

Hello. Never can say goodbye.

Thís is the song I was talking about. It takes your breath away, doesn't it? It does mine, every time I listen to it.

61_Lv7_X1x_BQL_SY300.jpgglenfiddich_mini_mix_set_gbp1349_superma

I'm considering pre-ordering the limited numbered Glenfiddich Jazz Moose edition.

Where will you get that, erwbol? Is that in that one special shop in Haarlem? I was there not too long ago, to enquire what whiskey to get as a present.

Edited by page

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm considering pre-ordering the limited numbered Glenfiddich Jazz Moose edition.

Where will you get that, erwbol? Is that in that one special shop in Haarlem? I was there not too long ago, to enquire what whiskey to get as a present.

Do you mean the store in the Koningstraat (between V&D and the Grote Markt)? They have an impressive range of Malts, but I couldn't afford to shop there if I wanted to. I did get two Glencairn glasses there once, though I seldom buy Whisky. At most once a year.

Do you mean the store in the Koningstraat (between V&D and the Grote Markt)? They have an impressive range of Malts, but I couldn't afford to shop there if I wanted to. I did get two Glencairn glasses there once, though I seldom buy Whisky. At most once a year.

Yes, that one. I didn't get a bottle yet, I just enquired what to get my Scottish friend. A friend of mine did buy something there, not whiskey. They seemed expensive indeed. I actually have a Scotch and a Bourbon at the moment. They are for my best friend, he's a lover of whiskeys. (I do know Bourbon, isn't whiskey) So I got those for him in case he wants something nice when he visits me. I think I buy a bottle a year too, not more. I just drink wine myself. So your post was a joke? I seem to take everything literally and miss out on the jokes often.

Edited by page

Yes, that one. I didn't get a bottle yet, I just enquired what to get my Scottish friend. A friend of mine did buy something there, not whiskey. They seemed expensive indeed. I actually have a Scotch and a Bourbon at the moment. They are for my best friend, he's a lover of whiskeys. (I do know Bourbon, isn't whiskey) So I got those for him in case he wants something nice when he visits me. I think I buy a bottle a year too, not more. I just drink wine myself. So your post was a joke? I seem to take everything literally and miss out on the jokes often.

Even Scottish whisky is cheapest when bought on the internet these days, despite the cost of shipping, though I haven't done so myself (yet).

Even Scottish whisky is cheapest when bought on the internet these days, despite the cost of shipping, though I haven't done so myself (yet).

Ah, I don't really buy on the internet. I know I'm hopelessly old fashioned. :shrug[1]:

Edited by page

Are we sure that Phil Schaap (of "Mahalia swears" fame) isn't involved?

BTW, I'm reminded of a Billie Holiday rehearsal with Jimmy Rowles that was issued on a bootleg LP. Some run throughs of songs, but mostly IIRC it's Billie with her hair down, full of vulgar remarks and cursing up a storm. I mentioned this disc once in a somewhat approving manner to a musician, I think it was Dave Frishberg, and he more or less jumped down my throat, saying that issuing this material was a vilely intrusive, disrespectful act. May still have the disc but don't think I've ever listened to it again.

Are we sure that Phil Schaap (of "Mahalia swears" fame) isn't involved?

BTW, I'm reminded of a Billie Holiday rehearsal with Jimmy Rowles that was issued on a bootleg LP. Some run throughs of songs, but mostly IIRC it's Billie with her hair down, full of vulgar remarks and cursing up a storm. I mentioned this disc once in a somewhat approving manner to a musician, I think it was Dave Frishberg, and he more or less jumped down my throat, saying that issuing this material was a vilely intrusive, disrespectful act. May still have the disc but don't think I've ever listened to it again.

I think that was issued in the Verve box set.

So, 2 cds-worth of what, alternate takes? Studio chatter? songs that didn't make it on to the original album? The description is more than a little ambiguous, but, thanks for the heads-up, Lon. What can you tell us based on the Japanese edition you have?

gregmo

The Japanese version I was talking about was of the Cassandra Wilson upcoming US release.

Not too surpised to see all the negativity.

It's very cheap from France:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00U6WPESU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This link shows the contents as well.

I got a good laugh that someone thought Phil S. was involved.

7/4, a week long WKCR Billie festival is lame-- the discography doesn't sustain that level of immersion; compare to the week (or was it two?) they did the Duke centennial (i think it was two), which was never less than thrilling. And even a fucking "Mary Poppins" box set has more potential than three CDs of Satan even if each comes packaged in a custom monogrammed BH Sateen sleeve. Maybe if rumors about the string section breaking out to jam on Korngold's transcription of the Hadyn kazoo quartet prove to be true it might be worth a novelty listen.

It's a fact, WCKR is having a festival. I doubt I'll have time for more than a tiny bit of it in the car.

Larry, that session was originally on some sort of bootleg LP;

one of the most annoying things related to it is how Farah Jasmine Griffin, in her generally clueless Billy H. bio, misconstrues the whole conversation as showing Rowles to be the intrusive and inappropriate white man, and out of his musical depth.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 3 weeks later...

I've now listened to all three discs of this set, and I have to say, I don't see why they bothered. The original album is here in lovely 24-bit sound with some bonus tracks from the mono version, but--IMHO--if you've got the Columbia Legacy version, you don't need this one. Discs 2 and 3 are packed with alternate takes, breakdowns, and a little studio chatter and are interesting chiefly because Billie apparently showed up completely unprepared and used the takes to learn the tunes. I find no "treasures" there to make it worth the extra money. I'll probably keep it because I spent the money on it, but--and again, this is must my opinion--this was strictly an effort by Sony/Columbia to cash in.

gregmo

Is she using the takes to learn the tunes, or to learn the arrangements? I've got some Sinatra bootlegs where it's the latter, and although not "general listening" in any way, the insight they provide into Sinatra's process is deep. borderline profound.

OTOH, there's a Johnny Hartman Bethlehem date where the alternates make it sound like he really was learning the tunes as he went along. That was...unfortunate.

I haven't gotten to the two bonus discs yet but I must say I think the sound of Lady in Satin on the first disc is a decided improvement over the earlier Legacy cd.

Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna

Transferred from the original three-track tapes to a hi-res Pro Tools file by Vic Anesini
Remixed and remastered in 24 bit by Maria Triana, Battery Studios, NYC

I'm just glad at least one leg of Sony did SOMETHING for the centennial besides release another compilation cd.

Edited by jazzbo

Is she using the takes to learn the tunes, or to learn the arrangements? I've got some Sinatra bootlegs where it's the latter, and although not "general listening" in any way, the insight they provide into Sinatra's process is deep. borderline profound.

OTOH, there's a Johnny Hartman Bethlehem date where the alternates make it sound like he really was learning the tunes as he went along. That was...unfortunate.

According to the liners, she was learning the tunes AND the arrangements. I gather it drove Ray Ellis crazy. And the sound on the remastered disc is lovely. I will give it that.

gregmo

from the timings, it looks like at least this is not on the new release:

Bonus track on the 1997 reissue

"The End of a Love Affair" The Audio Story – 9:49
and if the takes are marked correctly on the 3cd set, and on the mjcd volume 27 cd, then the 3cd set has outtakes that are not on the mjcd, and vice versa.

btw, there are two editions it seems - the one for 10€ (which I have) is a regular jumbo jewel case with a tiny booklet (small print, thin paper, one essay by some French dude I never heard of, plus a note by Cuscuna, 8 or 12 pages max). Then there's a a somewhat more expensive edition, not properly labelled on evil A, but I guess that one's the 7" cardboard/deluxe edition (design likely similar to say the Elvis deluxe editions of recent years). Not sure if that has more extended notes or just larger print and more photos - anyone can shed some light there?

Sticking to aFR, this is probably the "larger" edition:
http://www.amazon.fr/Lady-Satin-Centennial-Billie-Holiday/dp/B00TTZPY12/

Note regarding the booklet says:
"Livret 36 pages avec les contributions de Sebastian Danchin (auteur de Billie Holiday - le roman d'une rebelle) et de Michael Cuscuna (producteur de la réédition) abondante iconographie dont de nombreuses photos rares."

Which has me believe there isn't any additional text, just photos and a nicer design.