"Later" Dewey Redman Sideman Dates

JSngry

Heard Matt Wilson's 1996 as wave follows wave on Pandora the other day, said damn, that sounds like Dewey, found out that it was, and ordered ASAP. Sweet album.

I was kinda pissed because I'd like to think that I'd been pretty diligent about all the Dewey sideman dates, especially the later ones where he'd turn up on some out of the way labels and places relative to what/where what you'd think would be his "usual".

So please - anything that you think meets those criteria, please mention here. Hoping to not find anything else I had missed, unless of course, I really have missed it.

What's these Michel Benita thing? They're gonna be a tough to find, right?

614VHjOx%2BRL.jpg

MB-soul.jpg

Anybody heard David Shea's Shock Corridor? That's another one I've missed.

Michael Bocian, Reverence?

Motian's Trioism, think I missed that one too, not sure how. Is Dewey on all of it?

Not understanding how the hell I missed the Matt Wison record. 1996? I should have been all over that one then. Hmmm.

Motian's Trioism, think I missed that one too, not sure how. Is Dewey on all of it?

No, just on "In Remembrance of Things Past" (but it's a doozy). He's also on 2 or 3 tracks of "Monk in Motian".

One album that has 2 or 3 excellent appearances by Dewey is Tom Harrell's "Art of Rhythm".

I have the Bocian recording. I have not listened to it in years, but my recollection is that it was fine enough, but not essential. I have a David Bond recording with Redman - probably the same tracks that are on the one above. Very rough sound. Ragged performance, but some bright moments.

Those Ed Schuller and Anthony Cox leader-dates are stunning (Dewey's contributions in particular), and Ethan Iverson's date is none too shabby either.

I really LOVE Dewey's playing around this time -- very 'inside' in terms of timbre, but very 'outside' or at least 'adventuresome' harmonically. Some of the most evolved tenor-playing I know of personally -- challenging and approachable, all at the same time.