List of Capt. Dyett's students at DuSable H.S.

Larry Kart

Taken from a FB post by Allan Chase:

The list of Dyett's DuSable High School music program alumni is virtually a "Who's Who" of Chicago jazz. Among Dyett's students were:

Nat "King" Cole (b. 1917)-piano, voice
Von Freeman (b. 1922)-tenor saxophone
Bruz Freeman (birthdate unknown)-drums

George Freeman (birthdate unknown)-guitar
Bennie Green (b. 1923)-trombone
Dorothy Donegan (b. 1924)-piano
Dinah Washington (b. 1924)-voice
Martha Davis (birthdate unknown)-piano, voice
Gene Ammons (b. 1925)-tenor saxophone
*Victor Sproles (b. 1927)-bass
Bo Diddley (Ellas McDaniel) (b. 1928)-violin, guitar
E. "Prince" Shell (b. 1928)-valve trombone, piano, arranger
Johnny Griffin (b. 1928)-tenor saxophone
*Laurdine "Pat" Patrick (b. 1929)-saxophones, flute
Richard Davis (b. 1929)-bass
John Jenkins (b. 1931)-alto saxophone
Clifford Jordan (b. 1931)-tenor saxophone
*John Gilmore (b. 1931)-tenor saxophone, clarinet
*Robert Barry (b. 1932)-drums
Leroy Jenkins (b. 1932)-violin (flute and alto sax in high school)
Donald Rafael Garrett (b. 1932)-bass (clarinet or saxophone in high school?)
*Richard Evans (b. 1933)-bass, arranger
*Charles Davis (b. 1933)-baritone saxophone
*Julian Priester (b. 1935)-trombone, arranger
*Ronnie Boykins (b. 1935)-bass
Eddie Harris (b. 1936)-tenor saxophone
Andrew Hill (b. 1937)-piano (mellophone in high school)
Joseph Jarman (b. 1937)-saxophones
Wilbur Campbell (birthdate unknown)-drums
(* Musicians who later recorded with Sun Ra.)"

That is an impressive list. I'd like to see a list of Cass Tech alumni as well.

I did notice that Andrew Hill's birth year was listed incorrectly as 1937; I believe that it was only after his death that it was discovered that he was actually born in 1931.

Edited by Justin V

Different world...

But nevertheless, never underestimate the value that one teacher can bring to an individual, a community, a world. If that list were even 1/10th of what it is (and I suspect it is even longer when dug deeper), that would be impressive as hell. As it is...damn.

Before DuSable, he taught at Wendell Phillips High School. Milt Hinton was his student there.

Edit to say Milt told me Nat Cole started at Phillips and moved to DuSable in 1935 when Dyett transferred.

At Wendell Phillips Capt. Dyett assisted the bandmaster Major N. Clark Smith. DuSable is where Dyett himself became a bandmaster.

Fred Hopkins and Mwata Bowden were Dyett students during his last years at DuSable. John Young and Freddie Below were Dyett students and Redd Foxx performed in some of Dyett's shows at DuSable.

How about a list of famous students of that famous high school teacher in Los Angeles who taught C. Mingus, Dexter Gordon, Anthony Ortega, Don Cherry, Billy Higgins and so on?

The main thing here is, Wendell Phillips was the first black high school in Chicago and DuSable (opened in the 1930s) was the second. Dyett's success as a teacher is to some extent a result of this city's segregation.

Under the allegedly reformed Chicago Public Schools, what remains of DuSable High School is 200 or 300 students in the old building. 1 or 2 or maybe more other high schools are also at the old building. I believe Walter Dyett Elementary School, in Washington Park, was not opened until after Dyett's death. Mayor Rahm Emanuel's current school board closed Dyett School last year.

When I took jazz history classes from Richard Davis at the University of Wisconsin in the late 1970s and early 1980s, he often spoke warmly of Captain Dyett.

By the way, Richard Davis played live with Sun Ra in the late 1940s, and recorded with him on the live Sun Ra All Stars albums from the 1980s (with Don Cherry, Lester Bowie, Archie Shepp, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Philly Joe Jones, Don Moye and Clifford Jarvis), so he should have an asterisk by his name too.

just read this in a Robert Barry interview

RB: DuSable High School. We had a marching band, swing band, concert band. Captain Walter Dyett was a phenomenal teacher. He taught all the guys that wound up coming out of Chicago: Nat King Cole, Benny Green, Johnny Griffin, Wilbur Campbell, Irma Thompson, Gene Ammons, John Gilmore, Clifford Jordan, Julian Priester, Richard Evans, myself. He was a positive thinker. You couldn’t mention the word can’t in his presence. He’d go into a rage and would physically throw you. [Laughs] He’d take you by your collar or by the seat of your pants — somebody open the door and boom! He’d say, “Don’t never come back here until you lose that word.” And he’d say, “You are what you eat and you are what you think you are.” He used to keep a .38 on the desk. Everybody would carry knives. He’d say, “You guys think you’re bad with your knives and your switchblades — I got something for you!” [Laughs] Walter Dyett — he was something else.

http://stopsmilingonline.com/story_detail.php?id=1002

By the way, Richard Davis played live with Sun Ra in the late 1940s, and recorded with him on the live Sun Ra All Stars albums from the 1980s (with Don Cherry, Lester Bowie, Archie Shepp, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Philly Joe Jones, Don Moye and Clifford Jarvis), so he should have an asterisk by his name too.

he's on only one sun ra album, it was recorded on the short fall 1983 all-stars program which took place in the middle of a sun ra tour with the arkestra.

Stars that Shine Darkly (aka Hiroshima and Outer Reach Intensity-Energy) - Montreux 11/83.

(with Don Cherry, Lester Bowie, Archie Shepp, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Eloe Omoe, Philly Joe Jones, Clifford Jarvis)

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20060222085325/http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/disc_d.htm#103.

there was a bootleg (transparancy label) box set released of the other 4 dates available from this line-up (all oct/nov 1983)

"Sun Ra All Stars ‎– Milan, Zurich, West Berlin, Paris"

http://www.discogs.com/Sun-Ra-All-Stars-Milan-Zurich-West-Berlin-Paris/release/1437001

and the same label released the video that exists of most of the berlin show on

"Sun Ra Arkestra, Volume 2: Live In East Berlin 1986 and West Berlin 1983"

the video can probably be found on youtube.

Edited by l p

That is an impressive list. I'd like to see a list of Cass Tech alumni as well.

Just what I was thinking. A few from Wikipedia:

just read this in a Robert Barry interview

RB: DuSable High School. We had a marching band, swing band, concert band. Captain Walter Dyett was a phenomenal teacher. He taught all the guys that wound up coming out of Chicago: Nat King Cole, Benny Green, Johnny Griffin, Wilbur Campbell, Irma Thompson, Gene Ammons, John Gilmore, Clifford Jordan, Julian Priester, Richard Evans, myself. He was a positive thinker. You couldn’t mention the word can’t in his presence. He’d go into a rage and would physically throw you. [Laughs] He’d take you by your collar or by the seat of your pants — somebody open the door and boom! He’d say, “Don’t never come back here until you lose that word.” And he’d say, “You are what you eat and you are what you think you are.” He used to keep a .38 on the desk. Everybody would carry knives. He’d say, “You guys think you’re bad with your knives and your switchblades — I got something for you!” [Laughs] Walter Dyett — he was something else.

http://stopsmilingonline.com/story_detail.php?id=1002

Uli, thanks for that link. Those are valuable interviews and Josh Abrams is a good interviewer.