Ed Blackwell - Walls/Bridges

bertrand

I read in some music guide that the original CD version is mastered at the wrong speed, but that the later version (on 2 CDs with a bonus track) is correct.

I will pull out my version tomorrow, but if anyone already knows the answer, please let me know. This would explain why I always thought this CD sounded weird, and also how they fit over 80 minutes of music on one CD (by speeding it up?).

Can a non CD-R version of the 2-CD set be found anywhere?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

A quick listen does not show any obvious pitch error. What sounds weird is the bass. But all 7 tracks are shorter than on the iTunes version which does suggest that they might have sped it up. Either that, or each track was edited to fit on one CD (the total is actually under 80 minutes).

The 2 CD version can be had in the Ed Blackwell box. Can it be had separately (again, non CD-R)? I already have most of the sessions in the box.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

The original CD release was indeed mastered at the wrong speed. I think the pitch was a whole step high as a result. It was corrected, and that accounts for the rerelease being a 2 CD set. I know this because I was recording some projects for Soul Note at the time, and remember hearing about it when it first came out. They realized the mistake only after the CDs were manufactured and shipped, but didn't recall them, just waited to make corrections until it was time to manufacture more. I have the 2 CD version and it sounds great - never heard the single disk for obvious reasons. Hope this helps.....